Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wheel Nirvana, Care package from Harvey arrived today...
Eric_Shea
post Mar 16 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #1

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This is what Heaven feels like. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Not only a master at what he does... but he's an invaluable resource to our community.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 16 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Very nice... By the way, I am talking to Harvey about coming to WCR and doing a tech session. His brother Al is coming for sure... Both of them are a wealth of information.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Mar 16 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #3

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

NICE! I don't think I've seen ones with a "Matte" looking finish like that... I've seen some amazing polished fuchs tho... was there a specific reason for this finish? or was it just "something beautiful and different"?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 16 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Apex killer!

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 16 2010, 10:48 AM) *

NICE! I don't think I've seen ones with a "Matte" looking finish like that... I've seen some amazing polished fuchs tho... was there a specific reason for this finish? or was it just "something beautiful and different"?

That is called RSR finish. I have a set of 16X8.5 and 16X7 in the basement that Harvey made for me waiting for me to get the flares on the car.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 16 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Eric & Rob - for those of us not in the know ....

Who are Harvey & Al ???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ......... Al Reid? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

In any case for the others on here, it would be most helpful to post your cost to refinish these, & contact info for this obviously very talented Wheel Restorer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Were those re-anodized before they peened/blasted the surface for the satin finish, afterwords, or not at all?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 16 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #6

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That would be Harvey Weidman of Weidman's Wheels in Oroville, California. (530-534-7903)

Google Weidman's Wheels and you'll be in the know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That is the RSR finish as Rob mentioned. It is all done in the anodizing/dipping process. Others bead blast or even paint the centers to match the finish. They all come out looking good and costing less but, I think this is the best way to go.

A full set will probably run around $1,400.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Next the Goodyear Bluestreaks get mounted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 16 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

Dude (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) those are nice
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 16 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #8

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 16 2010, 12:43 PM) *

That would be Harvey Weidman of Weidman's Wheels in Oroville, California. (530-534-7903)

Google Weidman's Wheels and you'll be in the know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That is the RSR finish as Rob mentioned. It is all done in the anodizing/dipping process. Others bead blast or even paint the centers to match the finish. They all come out looking good and costing less but, I think this is the best way to go.

A full set will probably run around $1,400.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Next the Goodyear Bluestreaks get mounted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Al Weidman is the Al of which I spoke. He is a 914 owner, multiples actually, and he started the wheel business that Al Reed subsequently bought from him. Al is Harvey's older brother and is retired from the wheel business. He is a member here and goes by his own name for a screen name. He regularly comes all the way down from Oroville for the Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion days...
+Quote Post
MDG
post Mar 16 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #9

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

Eric, what size wheels are those? 15"? 8s &7s?

Beautiful! I'm nauseous with envy
+Quote Post
Frost
post Mar 16 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #10

Frost

Member No.: 9,035
Region Association: Southwest Region

Man that's a nice finish.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 16 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #11

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 16 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Al Weidman is the Al of which I spoke. He is a 914 owner, multiples actually, and he started the wheel business that Al Reed subsequently bought from him. Al is Harvey's older brother and is retired from the wheel business. He is a member here and goes by his own name for a screen name. He regularly comes all the way down from Oroville for the Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion days...

Thanx Eric & Rob -

How does he do the 2L Fuchs to OE finish - also in anodizing process for the satin background & (semi-)polished petals? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

IIRC - Al Reid said he finishes the 2L Fuchs first to the (semi-)polished finish, then anodizes (which takes it down to the semi-polished look), then adds the satin finish to the background afterwords. Is that not the best way to go with the original "real" Forged Fuchs 2L Alloys? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I recall Al Reid talking about who he bought his business from, but didn't make the connection initially here - not knowing of Al & Harvey Weideman before this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 16 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Superb craftsmanship. Very nice Eric. My fuch's are fully polished, wonder if he can just do the anodize.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 16 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 16 2010, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 16 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Thanx Eric & Rob -

How does he do the 2L Fuchs to OE finish - also in anodizing process for the satin background & (semi-)polished petals? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

IIRC - Al Reid said he finishes the 2L Fuchs first to the (semi-)polished finish, then anodizes (which takes it down to the semi-polished look), then adds the satin finish to the background afterwords. Is that not the best way to go with the original "real" Forged Fuchs 2L Alloys? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I recall Al Reid talking about who he bought his business from, but didn't make the connection initially here - not knowing of Al & Harvey Weideman before this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

IIRC, Al told me that Al Reed worked for a medical appliance company and had Al Weidman do the polishing for SS heart valves. Ultimately, he bought the company. Fun story if you ever get to talk to Al Weidman directly.

I have seen Al Reed's work and it is nice. But you should know that Harvey makes them better than they came from the factory and knows more about Porsche wheels than anyone period...
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Mar 16 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 16 2010, 11:50 AM) *

That is called RSR finish. I have a set of 16X8.5 and 16X7 in the basement that Harvey made for me waiting for me to get the flares on the car.

If you want to see what they look like on a blue car, you can send them to me.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 16 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #15

Apex killer!

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 16 2010, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 16 2010, 11:50 AM) *

If you want to see what they look like on a blue car, you can send them to me.

Thanks for the offer Billy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I have core wheels if you want Harvey to make you a set...
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 16 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #16

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Those are just beautiful wheels; I love the RSR finish and when I finally get to do wheels on my narrow body car, I will do that finish. I really like those wheels and that finish.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 16 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #17

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Eric,

Beautiful wheels & finish (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) I can't wait to see them mounted on your YELLOW 914-6GT.

Tom
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 16 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #18

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I hate you.............seriously.....f U Eric.....................F-U man..................
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 16 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #19

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 16 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #20

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Those pictures should be in the hot chicks thread.

RSR finish is my very best favorite - without wheel caps.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 02:21 PM