Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 liter install into Huey, ...Suggestions or any tricks/things to be aware of??
Gary
post Mar 17 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Did you guys leave the intake manifold as is or flip it 180 degrees? Looks like Ferg left his stock 911 oriented.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 17 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Make sure that the DME relay is good (if a used donor). If it is bad the engine will never start/run. You can also pop the relay out whenever leaving the car (for security), as this makes a very good anti theft device (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Also keep a spare DME relay in your race parts box. The DME altitude compensator usually never goes bad. Also make sure that your main (-) neg ground wire group on the engine near the distributor is clean and tight. If you need a decent high flow cone air filter set-up, PM me.
Marty
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Mar 17 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,506

Good to see your moving up to a 3.2.
Change oil often.
I think the fuel pump for a race car like your should be in the front truck so you can get to it fast and for fast access when working on things like flow, injector checking hot priming etc,
Make sure to cushion the ECU from shock and carry a spare relay.
At high RPM for long periods of time the system draws a lot of current go big on wire. Ask me how I know.
Really a great motor I raced a stocker 3.2 for years. Really like the fact that you can race all weekend and never open the engine bay.
If you ever have to have the motor rebuilt it will most likely be the #5 bearing. At that point CCR Armondo will do a great job on having the #5 journal taped as a oil passage.
I also just had this done on my 3.6 crank.
I really had more problems with my 3.2 being to cold it never ran hot.
Enjoy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 18 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #24

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

Keep in mind this is not going into Papa Smurf, the race car, it's going into Huey which is mostly a street and autocross car, so long hi rev is most likely not going to happen much.

Know too well about keeping a spare DME relay. Our DD is a 993 cab, and the DME died in the middle of nowhere PA. Learned how to make a jumper to make the car run until I could get to a dealer for a new relay. Always keep a spare in the glove box now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Curious, where does the DME relay and altitude compensator connect? In the 993, the relay is up in the fuse box with all the other relays. Is there a connection for it on this missing harness?
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 19 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #25

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Mar 17 2010, 08:03 PM) *

I have to check. I might have the wiring harness. I know I have an ECU and some misc. FI plumbing.

The 3.2 I purchased to replace the 2.7 in my teener was missing the intake manifold. I was hoping on going Motronic but the Webers from the 2.7 bolted right up to the 3.2 and have run quite well. It would run better if it was driven more. I need to clean the idle jets too often due to old damp fuel.

Will you be using a 915 or 901(914) transaxle? Kennedy has the required parts to mate the 3.2 to a 901(914). I am using a 901/914 trans and have only worn out one in the last five years of track use.

I switched to 944 CV joints used with modified 914 axles.

Good Luck.

Eddie

Eddie,
any chance you found the wiring harness?
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 19 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #26

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(Gary @ Mar 17 2010, 11:24 PM) *

Did you guys leave the intake manifold as is or flip it 180 degrees? Looks like Ferg left his stock 911 oriented.

That's a good question. Yes, it looks like Ferg left it as stock. Do you need to flip it?

Right now, I'm taking everything apart to clean it. REALLY dirty. Having an issue getting the shroud off cause I can't get the alternator wires through without taking this cone thing off the inside of the alternator to disconnect the wires . May just take off the whole alternator and fan housing at once, they need to be cleaned anyway.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 19 2010, 06:03 AM
Post #27

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Can you post a good pic of your conversion flywheel, and PP? Thanks.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 19 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #28

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The DME relay is part of the FI harness. If the harness is missing, so is the plug for the DME relay.

You don't have to flip the intake, but in some ways it makes it easier. If you have stock /6 throttle linkage, you won't want to flip the intake because the linkage will bolt right up. You can use a different intake tube (I don't remember which one) to hook up the AFM, and everything fits.

The one I did was a Euro 3.2, and it was so quick 1st gear was about useless. Great driving car, and it would start and idle wonderfully.

While I love MFI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) , I am seriously considering aftermarket EFI for the 4.0 motor. It would make it easier and more pleasant to drive when it is cold out.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 19 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 19 2010, 07:03 AM) *

You don't need a conversion flywheel to use the 3.2. It can be done with all factory parts, as a complete bolt together.

Get a 70-71 911 trans case, with the clutch fork and throwout bearing tube. Use that as the case for your trans. This puts in the 911 pull type clutch. Then use the 3.2 DME flywheel and pressure plate, and the 71 911 clutch disk and throwout bearing. You will need a 75 911 clutch cable, and you can throw away the pulley on the side of the transmission. The bonus is that the clutch tube will never break after this, as there is no longer any load on it. It just guides the cable.

+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Mar 19 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #30

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Brain in the trunk. 2+ years and lotta miles. No problemo.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 19 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #31

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2010, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 19 2010, 07:03 AM) *

You don't need a conversion flywheel to use the 3.2. It can be done with all factory parts, as a complete bolt together.

Get a 70-71 911 trans case, with the clutch fork and throwout bearing tube. Use that as the case for your trans. This puts in the 911 pull type clutch. Then use the 3.2 DME flywheel and pressure plate, and the 71 911 clutch disk and throwout bearing. You will need a 75 911 clutch cable, and you can throw away the pulley on the side of the transmission. The bonus is that the clutch tube will never break after this, as there is no longer any load on it. It just guides the cable.

To me it looks like a conversion push clutch. I have a '70 trans sitting here (that I still can't get the PP off of) and a borrowed KEP style conversion clutch, but I don't think it was made by KEP.

I have a 3.0 and I need the whole assembly and flywheel.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 19 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Correct, did not flip the intake. It's been a long time for me so I will defer to someone that has done it more recently.

MoveQik's was done the same way mine was... bracket to hold the MAF that is now upsidedown was fabricated along with generic cone filter and tube.

Ferg

+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 21 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 19 2010, 11:30 AM) *

MoveQik's was done the same way mine was... bracket to hold the MAF that is now upsidedown was fabricated along with generic cone filter and tube.

Ferg

Be cautious when using ANY generic brand (evil bay) cone air filter. Off shore mfg'd filters are not made with high QC cotton gauze material nor low resistance screen mt'l. These are also over oiled, and are pieced in two sections at their base (known to come apart). Use the MSDS style (one piece US made), or at least the K &N filter. Make sure not to over oil the filter media.
Marty
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 24 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #34

Losing my mind...

Bringing this thread back up.
Got the engine in....finally....lots of little stuff to do that just takes time: oil lines modified, fuel lines modified, and electrical.....right now, it looks like a rats nest in the engine compartment! Obviously we're finding there is so much stuff we don't need and it's not easy to figure out what we DO need. Plus, Huey had a combination of an old stock 914 system with new wires for a carburated six conversion, so not all the wires are what we think they are...

Mating the two systems together has been very time consuming...

But...I drove him today!!! Didn't run right though....hunts for a stable idle, and dies a bit on acceleration. John is doing some 'tuning' on it tonight, hope to get it back in my garage tomorrow!

Oh, I need an air filter. Suggestions? I can't find the thread of where someone pointed me to in the past...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 25 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #35

Check to make sure you have the oil restricter in the line between the oil tank and the top of the engine. The 3.2 911 used one, and it will cause the idle hunt and a lot of engine oil spewing.

Also, I would think you could use a 1.8L filter and mount with the 3.2, considering they both use the same design air flow meter. but you would have to extend the wire harness and buy a tube setup to get it to the throttle body.

+Quote Post
naro914
post May 25 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #36

Losing my mind...

Hi Clay,
Oil Restrictor? how does that have anything to do with idle hunt? we just have the hose that runs from the top of the engine, to the oil tank - like in the other 6's we've had.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 25 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(naro914 @ May 25 2010, 07:28 AM) *

Hi Clay,
Oil Restrictor? how does that have anything to do with idle hunt? we just have the hose that runs from the top of the engine, to the oil tank - like in the other 6's we've had.

the system on the 3.2 is tuned to pull blow-by from the crankcase into the intake. The restrictor allows the proper amount of air to enter the crankcase. If it is missing, it screws with the idle settings on the computer, and at high engine speeds it pushes oil back to the tank, causing a mess from the vent.

I found this the hard way on a 3.2 powered six I worked on. The 911 expert asked me if the restrictor was inline, and I has to say "What?".....

Check PET to see the restrictor, I don't have a copy of PET here at work.
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 25 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #38

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

Bob, I think this is the part Clay is talking about - 93010728900

it's #7 on the illustration

Attached Image
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 25 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #39

Losing my mind...

where does it go? Looks like it's on the oil tank.
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 25 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #40

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

It looks to act as a reducer at the filler end of the crankcase breather hose. Pelican has a photo of it on their site.

Attached Image

I'm guessing - and I'd like Clay to confirm too as I am about to install a 3.2 into mine as well - that the funnel end of this restrictor pushes into the vent pipe on the filler neck and then the hose slips over and clamps on. Appears to be still available through the dealers at around $15.00

mike
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 06:16 AM