Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's it worth?, Thinking of buying an excellent 72'
keske968
post Mar 18 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,778
Region Association: None

First let me say that pictures will be comming in the near future (Saturday) so cool your jets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif). I have stumbled upon a retired doctor who has a collection of neat sports cars. One of them is a 1972 914. He has owned the car since 1974 and it has always been a garage queen. He wants to sell it as the economey has hit him hard. In the last few years he has invented over 15k into this car. Here is what it has.

-Signal orange with checkered flags painted on it

-NO RUST ANYWHERE... and I do mean ANYWHERE! This thing could have left the showroom floor a week ago

-Overbored 2.6 4cyl (180hp) that has been rebuilt in the last 500 miles. This engie was talked about in an excellence magazine last year. He bought the engine from the car that was in excellence. (I will get issue number and what article).

-Upgraded to sideshift transmission

- Sport seats

-Headers and street legal racing exhaust

-Trim around the windshiled has been replaced with rubber. All seals are nice and tight.

-To be honest besides the non stock engine and one crack in the dash this thing is near concours condition

What it needs.

-Currently car will not shift into 4th or 5th. He said this would be fixed by his mechanic before selling it.

-Trunk has full length Porsche reflector so it needs some way to secure the rear trunk (hood pins possibly)

-Missing one side reflector (easy and cheap fix)

-I would have to sell the current seats and put something in that would accept my taller frame.

-Update seatbelts as they are still ogirional.

The price he is asking from me is more than fair. I know I will not get a lot of answers until I post pics and the information on the engine. However, if I cannot buy it from him He has offered to allow me to sell it for him for a small fee.

Thank's guys and gals. I appreicate it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 18 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I would say 8-10k. Really depends on that motor build & who did it. If we are talking a Raby motor I'd say more $$$. 180hp vw 4 banger shouldn't be built by the timid. Might go boom first week you have it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . In which case I am high on the price. Definately get pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 18 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yeah, some info on who built the motor is a must...big (103mm) steel cyls never seal the heads right. If they are nickies, you're in business!!!
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Mar 18 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would say 8-10k.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) if the motor IS something special, built by someone special, MORE, much more.

but imo a truly excellent, complete car as you describe, should demand at least the 7-8k price.

-Trunk has full length Porsche reflector so it needs some way to secure the rear trunk (hood pins possibly)

you can use the stock latch, and put in the nice, Engman kit for this... or find the electronic solenoid on ebay.

I also agree with JmuRiz, a motor this big there are some gotchas... WHY was it rebuilt so recently? who did the build, what parts(FULL LIST) was it a kit? what it assembled by someone who has done this sort of thing before?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:07 PM