Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
keske968
First let me say that pictures will be comming in the near future (Saturday) so cool your jets wink.gif. I have stumbled upon a retired doctor who has a collection of neat sports cars. One of them is a 1972 914. He has owned the car since 1974 and it has always been a garage queen. He wants to sell it as the economey has hit him hard. In the last few years he has invented over 15k into this car. Here is what it has.

-Signal orange with checkered flags painted on it

-NO RUST ANYWHERE... and I do mean ANYWHERE! This thing could have left the showroom floor a week ago

-Overbored 2.6 4cyl (180hp) that has been rebuilt in the last 500 miles. This engie was talked about in an excellence magazine last year. He bought the engine from the car that was in excellence. (I will get issue number and what article).

-Upgraded to sideshift transmission

- Sport seats

-Headers and street legal racing exhaust

-Trim around the windshiled has been replaced with rubber. All seals are nice and tight.

-To be honest besides the non stock engine and one crack in the dash this thing is near concours condition

What it needs.

-Currently car will not shift into 4th or 5th. He said this would be fixed by his mechanic before selling it.

-Trunk has full length Porsche reflector so it needs some way to secure the rear trunk (hood pins possibly)

-Missing one side reflector (easy and cheap fix)

-I would have to sell the current seats and put something in that would accept my taller frame.

-Update seatbelts as they are still ogirional.

The price he is asking from me is more than fair. I know I will not get a lot of answers until I post pics and the information on the engine. However, if I cannot buy it from him He has offered to allow me to sell it for him for a small fee.

Thank's guys and gals. I appreicate it.
JRust
I would say 8-10k. Really depends on that motor build & who did it. If we are talking a Raby motor I'd say more $$$. 180hp vw 4 banger shouldn't be built by the timid. Might go boom first week you have it confused24.gif . In which case I am high on the price. Definately get pics smile.gif
JmuRiz
Yeah, some info on who built the motor is a must...big (103mm) steel cyls never seal the heads right. If they are nickies, you're in business!!!
tat2dphreak
I would say 8-10k.

agree.gif if the motor IS something special, built by someone special, MORE, much more.

but imo a truly excellent, complete car as you describe, should demand at least the 7-8k price.

-Trunk has full length Porsche reflector so it needs some way to secure the rear trunk (hood pins possibly)

you can use the stock latch, and put in the nice, Engman kit for this... or find the electronic solenoid on ebay.

I also agree with JmuRiz, a motor this big there are some gotchas... WHY was it rebuilt so recently? who did the build, what parts(FULL LIST) was it a kit? what it assembled by someone who has done this sort of thing before?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.