Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake Caliper Question, Why two?
LotusJoe
post Mar 18 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #1

Europa Twink Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,085
Region Association: Southern California

Why do my brake calipers have two bleed screws? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Mar 19 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Mar 18 2010, 10:04 PM) *

Why do my brake calipers have two bleed screws? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

So the same part number can be used on either side of the car. Other wise the manufacturer would have to make a specific right and left caliper so the bleed screw could be to the top.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 19 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #3

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

They used them on different cars (rears applicable). The fronts are a VW caliper made en-mass.

The rears are not interchangable left or right however, there was a Fiat model that mounted them the other way (very similar to the way the Ferrari used the same caliper as the 914-6, just mounted upside down with the bleeder at the other end). Alfa mounted a similar version of our rears at the top and on the transmission... those had bleeders on the top.

The fronts, while listed as interchangable (and I see no reason why you can't), are directional in the sense that one of the bleeders rests deeper in a rounded recess area. I always load the pistons so this bleeder is on top.
+Quote Post
LotusJoe
post Mar 19 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #4

Europa Twink Driver

Member No.: 11,085
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 19 2010, 08:27 AM) *

They used them on different cars (rears applicable). The fronts are a VW caliper made en-mass.

The rears are not interchangable left or right however, there was a Fiat model that mounted them the other way (very similar to the way the Ferrari used the same caliper as the 914-6, just mounted upside down with the bleeder at the other end). Alfa mounted a similar version of our rears at the top and on the transmission... those had bleeders on the top.

The fronts, while listed as interchangable (and I see no reason why you can't), are directional in the sense that one of the bleeders rests deeper in a rounded recess area. I always load the pistons so this bleeder is on top.

So does that mean I can plug the the lower bleeder?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 19 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you want to.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:07 PM