Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Caliper Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
Why do my brake calipers have two bleed screws? huh.gif
zambezi
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Mar 18 2010, 10:04 PM) *

Why do my brake calipers have two bleed screws? huh.gif

So the same part number can be used on either side of the car. Other wise the manufacturer would have to make a specific right and left caliper so the bleed screw could be to the top.
Eric_Shea
They used them on different cars (rears applicable). The fronts are a VW caliper made en-mass.

The rears are not interchangable left or right however, there was a Fiat model that mounted them the other way (very similar to the way the Ferrari used the same caliper as the 914-6, just mounted upside down with the bleeder at the other end). Alfa mounted a similar version of our rears at the top and on the transmission... those had bleeders on the top.

The fronts, while listed as interchangable (and I see no reason why you can't), are directional in the sense that one of the bleeders rests deeper in a rounded recess area. I always load the pistons so this bleeder is on top.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 19 2010, 08:27 AM) *

They used them on different cars (rears applicable). The fronts are a VW caliper made en-mass.

The rears are not interchangable left or right however, there was a Fiat model that mounted them the other way (very similar to the way the Ferrari used the same caliper as the 914-6, just mounted upside down with the bleeder at the other end). Alfa mounted a similar version of our rears at the top and on the transmission... those had bleeders on the top.

The fronts, while listed as interchangable (and I see no reason why you can't), are directional in the sense that one of the bleeders rests deeper in a rounded recess area. I always load the pistons so this bleeder is on top.

So does that mean I can plug the the lower bleeder?
Eric_Shea
If you want to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.