Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Half shaft removal?
amphiduck
post Mar 19 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,947

Maybe I spoke too soon about removing the wheel bearings... Can't get the half shaft off the transmission side to save my life. I've removed the four CV bolts and thing still feels really tight. Manual says to put a knife edge under the flange on the transmission side to separate the the two, but I have no clue. any suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shade Tree
post Mar 19 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, the roll pins between the tranny output flange and the flange on the axle can make it hard to get apart. What you heard was right. Something flat, thin and hard to get the separation started is helpful. Don't forget new gaskets for the flanges.
+Quote Post
70_914
post Mar 19 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 19 2010, 04:47 PM) *

Maybe I spoke too soon about removing the wheel bearings... Can't get the half shaft off the transmission side to save my life. I've removed the four CV bolts and thing still feels really tight. Manual says to put a knife edge under the flange on the transmission side to separate the the two, but I have no clue. any suggestions?

There is not anything else holding the cv axle to the flange. Rubber mallet to break it loose perhaps? There are a lot of people that silicone the cv to the transmission flange, it may just be stuck. Both of mine just fell off the flange when I pulled the bolts off.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Mar 19 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #4

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

The knife-edge is not a bad suggestion but I like to use something a little less sharp, like a thick scraper. Driving it in will probably destroy the gasket so have some new ones available.

The gasket and the two roll-pins (and/or dowel pins) are holding it fast. Don't drive the tool into the roll pin but where the bolts were. You'll hurt your tool... and THAT would be just wrong.

Additionally, I like to use mechanic's wire, or rebar wire, or something else to suspend the axle so that when it falls down (when you are successful) it doesn't fall very far. With some CV dust-covers the axles will bend them where the rubber accordion attaches to the flange.

Good luck
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 19 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 19 2010, 04:47 PM) *

Rubber mallet. Whack it while you rotate the axle. It'll come off.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
amphiduck
post Mar 19 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,947

Seriously wouldn't know what to do without you guys. Rubber mallet worked like a champ. So until tomorrow, when I get stuck again......
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:28 PM