Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Half shaft removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amphiduck
Maybe I spoke too soon about removing the wheel bearings... Can't get the half shaft off the transmission side to save my life. I've removed the four CV bolts and thing still feels really tight. Manual says to put a knife edge under the flange on the transmission side to separate the the two, but I have no clue. any suggestions?
Shade Tree
Yeah, the roll pins between the tranny output flange and the flange on the axle can make it hard to get apart. What you heard was right. Something flat, thin and hard to get the separation started is helpful. Don't forget new gaskets for the flanges.
70_914
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 19 2010, 04:47 PM) *

Maybe I spoke too soon about removing the wheel bearings... Can't get the half shaft off the transmission side to save my life. I've removed the four CV bolts and thing still feels really tight. Manual says to put a knife edge under the flange on the transmission side to separate the the two, but I have no clue. any suggestions?

There is not anything else holding the cv axle to the flange. Rubber mallet to break it loose perhaps? There are a lot of people that silicone the cv to the transmission flange, it may just be stuck. Both of mine just fell off the flange when I pulled the bolts off.
pcar916
The knife-edge is not a bad suggestion but I like to use something a little less sharp, like a thick scraper. Driving it in will probably destroy the gasket so have some new ones available.

The gasket and the two roll-pins (and/or dowel pins) are holding it fast. Don't drive the tool into the roll pin but where the bolts were. You'll hurt your tool... and THAT would be just wrong.

Additionally, I like to use mechanic's wire, or rebar wire, or something else to suspend the axle so that when it falls down (when you are successful) it doesn't fall very far. With some CV dust-covers the axles will bend them where the rubber accordion attaches to the flange.

Good luck
SirAndy
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 19 2010, 04:47 PM) *

Rubber mallet. Whack it while you rotate the axle. It'll come off.

smash.gif Andy
amphiduck
Seriously wouldn't know what to do without you guys. Rubber mallet worked like a champ. So until tomorrow, when I get stuck again......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.