Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got a new 914!, Post 2011 Evil Tranny Clinic update:
davesprinkle
post Aug 12 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

Hey Dan, does your fan have the 7.5' timing mark? Not the same as the Djet mark. BTW, I've got a calibration for the airflow meter, position vs resistance, if you want to make a few static checks on the meter.

My wife likes the dancing banana, so this is for her.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 13 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #142

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Dan, here is a good link for AFM (bus Ljet) adjustment.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7761
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom
post Aug 13 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #143

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Dan,
You really need to get a service cover.
Tom
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 13 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #144

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 13 2010, 08:17 AM) *

Dan,
You really need to get a service cover.
Tom

Yes I do, I keep using good towels. Wife hates that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the links and stuff. I'll use them for sure.

Knowing the last time I did this and how much of a PITA it was discovering all the bad parts of the FI. I have my fingers crossed what I haven't replaced is good.

I did grab 4 new injectors, $120, cheap! I didn't however get a new fuel pressure reg or new TPS so I'm hoping those worked on the last engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Parts probably won't be here until next week. So things are at a hold until then.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 15 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #145

Village Idiot

Getting more done, some gaskets showed up yesterday.

When I picked up the FI from Rich, neither one of us knew L-Jet all that well. Turns out the system we snagged off of the donor 914 was missing a few things. The AAV, Decel or anti-backfire vavle and a couple other minor parts.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 15 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #146

Village Idiot

As luck would have it, Rich just acquired a 74' 1.8 parts car 914 with the L-Jet intact, but not run for 10 years. Good to source those couple of parts and just look at, take some pictures. Some of the stuff I realized I needed is labeled.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 15 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #147

Village Idiot

The AAV valve you can't really see, it's tucked under there.

So far, parts have been installed just minutes ago on my 914, so getting closer!

Still waiting on new fuel line and a bunch of vac lines.

Tomorrow might be a trial fire off with the FI? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom
post Aug 15 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #148

Advanced Member

Go Dan, go!! Hope it all works out easy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Well, at least not too hard.
Tom
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 16 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #149

Village Idiot

Got the rest of the parts today, hooked up all the vac lines, fuel lines, return line. Went under the engine, sorted out more fuel lines, replaced the non-german low pressure lines with properly sized German high pressure FI lines etc.

Started to think to myself I might actually fire this thing tonight?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 16 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #150

Village Idiot

So up to the front trunk to change out the fuel pump. I remembered there are more low pressure lines that need replacing up there as well as checking the return fuel line is proper and hooked up.

Decided to pull the tank. Start to pull the fuel from the tank, filled both my little cans and both are cars just got tanks filled today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Well, I still have a couple of gallons in there, gonna have to wait until tomorrow maybe. Gotta go use some gas first!

Driving my Monster-Square so that otta use some. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 16 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #151

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

pour that gas on the weeds and lite it up that'll kills the weeds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 16 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #152

Village Idiot

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 16 2010, 08:46 PM) *

pour that gas on the weeds and lite it up that'll kills the weeds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Thought about that, neighbors are pretty close though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Aug 16 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #153

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420

Had the same problem when I pulled my tank. Filled a couple gas cans, rhodyguys gas can, lawnmower, edger.................
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 16 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #154

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 16 2010, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 16 2010, 08:46 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Thought about that, neighbors are pretty close though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

well..... how "much " do you like them??? [or not] (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Aug 16 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #155

Member No.: 11,426

Dan,
Like the idea of your holder you made for the ECU, any better picts so I can fab my own imitation?

Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 17 2010, 03:42 AM
Post #156

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Hah, thats why I keep my 78 F250 with twin tanks! That thing is great for getting rid of old gas as it will burn anything! 20 year old gas and it runs fine....
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 18 2010, 08:35 AM
Post #157

Village Idiot

Pulled the tank last night, replaced lines, fuel pump, put tank back in, put some fuel back in, hooked the battery back up.

Crank, crank, crank, crank

Hmm, nothing

More cranking

More nothing.

Hmm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Doh! Forgot to hook those little ground wires on the engine block from the FI harnes. Duh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Crank, VROOM!

Drove it around last night for a little while, filled the tank. I know I have to adjust for a 1.8 FI system on my 2.0, but seems pretty smooth.

One issue I have noticed, my throttle takes a Looooooooooooooooooooong time to return to idle. It's smooth, just seems to take forever, like I don't have a spring. I do have a spring from the arm to the plenum. Should there be another spring?

Anyone have any pictures of L-Jet throttle return srping set-ups? Maybe I don't have it on correctly?

In the end, I'm really glad I bought new injectors, all new fuel and vac lines and a new fuel pump along with other little things. Eliminates many possible issues.

I did drive it into work today, started right up this morning, nice idle. Sans the throttle return issue and just setting it for 2.0 liters, I think it's good to drive!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Aug 18 2010, 08:58 AM
Post #158

Member No.: 2,943

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 18 2010, 07:35 AM) *

Pulled the tank last night, replaced lines, fuel pump, put tank back in, put some fuel back in, hooked the battery back up.

Crank, crank, crank, crank

Hmm, nothing

More cranking

More nothing.

Hmm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Doh! Forgot to hook those little ground wires on the engine block from the FI harnes. Duh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Crank, VROOM!

Drove it around last night for a little while, filled the tank. I know I have to adjust for a 1.8 FI system on my 2.0, but seems pretty smooth.

One issue I have noticed, my throttle takes a Looooooooooooooooooooong time to return to idle. It's smooth, just seems to take forever, like I don't have a spring. I do have a spring from the arm to the plenum. Should there be another spring?

Anyone have any pictures of L-Jet throttle return srping set-ups? Maybe I don't have it on correctly?

In the end, I'm really glad I bought new injectors, all new fuel and vac lines and a new fuel pump along with other little things. Eliminates many possible issues.

I did drive it into work today, started right up this morning, nice idle. Sans the throttle return issue and just setting it for 2.0 liters, I think it's good to drive!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

The slow return to idle is due to your deccel valve. First, make sure you've got it plumbed correctly -- axial (center) fitting goes to plenum, radial (side) fitting goes to air inlet elbow. Next, consider running in the adjuster screw to set the regulation pressure lower. Finally, consider ditching the damned thing. It doesn't do anything anyway.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 18 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #159

Village Idiot

I just checked, got it hooked up correctly.

I know it doesn't really do much of anything.....well, books say it eliminates backfire on decel.

I have some caps and will plug it off when I get home, see what that does. If it pops or backfires on decel, I'll buy a new one and install it. If it runs and sounds good under all conditions, I'll just leave the ports plugged off and not put one back in the system.

I think most of the D-jet systems I've had, I've removed the decel valve. Never seemed to make a difference.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Aug 18 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #160

Advanced Member

Nice job Dan! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Interesting to see what the mileage will be. How about power? About same, up or down?
Tom
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 11:29 PM