Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a new 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Root_Werks
Big thanks to Craig for helping to facilitate picking up our new 914. Turned out to be a great day and a great drive back home.

914 is better than I would have thought.

Thanks again Craig!

Dan & Michelle
jonferns
smilie_pokal.gif

Looks like a nice 914, congrats!
KELTY360

smilie_pokal.gif

Back in the saddle again! bye1.gif
PanelBilly
good looking car
Root_Werks
Thanks! It's been a year since I had my last one. Really missed owning one.

It's really, really clean. Purred like a kitten all 200+ miles home. 111k miles on the OD and everything seems to work.

Interior still smells all 914-ish. smile.gif
boxstr
Here are a few more pics, of a really clean 75 914 2.0.
Craig at CAMP
Tom_T
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 21 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Big thanks to Craig for helping to facilitate picking up our new 914. Turned out to be a great day and a great drive back home.

Thanks again Craig!

Dan & Michelle

wub.gif
Love the L80E with #31 Beige interior - just what mine looked like new - & will again soon! biggrin.gif
boxstr
MORE....
Rand
Can't wait to hear the plans. Congrats Dan, she looks super clean.
messix
that kinda looks familiar. unsure.gif
carr914
Good to have you back

T.C.
rick 918-S
Picture eyeballs on springs through eye glasses! drooley.gif
ThinAir
Very nice! Never seen a trunk/battery setup like that before.
Gint
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 21 2010, 08:41 PM) *

You mean gas, rust and oil? Welcome back! When do you start cutting? poke.gif
TravisNeff
Nice to see you back Dan & nice ride!
veltror
You have the tan interior, my 75 has this and I have been looking everywhere for a replacement seat cover, looks like I will have to switch to black. All european cars were black and mine is a us import....

Nice car....
Ferg
aktion035.gif LOVE the color combo driving.gif
jim_hoyland
Congratulations Dan ! beer.gif Looks like a sweet ride; good to see you back.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 21 2010, 09:02 PM) *

that kinda looks familiar. unsure.gif

Trust me......I thought of that. rolleyes.gif I'm keeping the BUB's. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it!

You can see by the pic's Craig posted I have some things to do. I won't be converting this one to a six or putting flares on it etc. It's too nice.

The carbs ran really, really good all the way home. My first thoughts have been to toss them and put FI back on. Get it all stock again. But not sure after the drive home. They really do seem to run well. I'll log some MPG figures and as long as it pulls in the low 20's around town, I'll keep them.

The battery and dealer installed AC are the only bummers about the car. There will be little things to fix. I will pull the engine out this summer for a week or so and really clean, sort things out. I have the sheet metal for putting the battery back to it's factory place and might just do it. The battery in there is junk. I don't understand why people still put liquid cell batteries in 914's? blink.gif

This 914 will always hopefully look just like it does now. I will complete the following though:

Engman inner long kit
Battery correction
Remove and repair AC (80% gone anyway), fix all hacked panels
Paint LR fender
Add pass mirror
Either keep carbs or move back to FI (TBD)
Oh, re-seal rear window
Drive it! driving.gif A lot! driving.gif
That's about it.

biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 22 2010, 06:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 21 2010, 08:41 PM) *

You mean gas, rust and oil? Welcome back! When do you start cutting? poke.gif

lol-2.gif

The first time I pulled the heater lever on the drive back, my wife gave me this look (she know's 914's). We both actually took a breath and kinda held it in. laugh.gif

It was a little oily smelling at first, but I wager the heater hadn't been used in quite a while. After just a couple of minutes, we had the heater on and off for the next 200 miles and it was really clean.

I walked into the garage this morning and could smell the faintest fuel smell. friggen carbs. rolleyes.gif
tat2dphreak
beautiful looking car! smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif
pete-stevers
big welcome back Dan!! piratenanner.gif
Tom
Dan.
Congratulations! I knew Craig would get you in a nice 914. I would keep that one stock also. Lots of rusty ones to cut up to modify. Damn, I like that interior.
Yea, that battery location is ??. Lead acid battery at the far end of a car is not going to help handling and besides it just looks wrong.
Tom
Root_Werks
This is what I have used in a few cars inlcuding some 914's now and even one V8 Fiero:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925.htm

Never has an issue turning over even high compression engines. It's what I'll get for this 914. I just have to decide where to put it. I can pick the PC925 up with one hand gripping it from the top! Crazy how small and light they are.

PC 925 Specs:

925 cranking amps for 5 seconds
870 cranking amps for 10 seconds
765 cranking amps for 20 seconds
Short circuit current over 2400A
28 amp hours
50 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
Length 6 15/32"
Width 6 7/8"
Height 4 7/8"
Weighs 24 lbs
Odyssey design:

Rugged Drycell sealed design
Military grade
Vibration resistant
60% more starting power
Deep discharge reserve power
2 year storage life
8-12 year design life
Can be mounted in any orientation
MDG
Congratulations on the car! beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Very nice car!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Welcome back!
messix
man that carpet is UGLY! i'll be right over to take it to the dump for you ...ok?

oh and those seats look just so uncomfortable too, you'll be getting some of those gt seats right? i'll take those seats to the dump for you too ok?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 22 2010, 10:16 AM) *

man that carpet is UGLY! i'll be right over to take it to the dump for you ...ok?

oh and those seats look just so uncomfortable too, you'll be getting some of those gt seats right? i'll take those seats to the dump for you too ok?

Where's my bat?

Down, down! Back, back!

What's up Troy?

Gotta catch up with you guys. This last year has been more than busy for Michelle and I. I haven't kept in touch like I should have. But I'm finally done with school and looks like the house thing is settling down. Life is calming back down a little finally.

Where's that Teener Tuesday thread......... chowtime.gif
Zaney
Don't forget SS fuel lines! (Unless Camp914 took care of it for ya)

beerchug.gif driving.gif Awesome ride!

Nate
messix
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 22 2010, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 22 2010, 10:16 AM) *

Where's my bat?

Down, down! Back, back!

What's up Troy?

Gotta catch up with you guys. This last year has been more than busy for Michelle and I. I haven't kept in touch like I should have. But I'm finally done with school and looks like the house thing is settling down. Life is calming back down a little finally.
Where's that Teener Tuesday thread......... chowtime.gif

well i have my health..... go check out my post in the sand box "i got her" i'm just a little beyond broke right now. i could have bought the blue steel top car with what's gone out the door on this and then some.
rjames
Great to have you back in the fray, Dan! Great looking car! Sweet interior.
Don't let Troy drool all over it. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
bye1.gif

Gotta do a Teener Tuesday now. chowtime.gif
db9146
My first was a white and tan '76 2.0 with steel wheels and chrome rings. I put 205s on it and it handled great!

gothspeed
looks great smile.gif!!
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Sweet aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
(Unless Camp914 took care of it for ya)

Dan great car for the money ,
Funny thing is that it was in Portland Craigslist
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 22 2010, 04:18 PM) *

(Unless Camp914 took care of it for ya)

Dan great car for the money ,
Funny thing is that it was in Portland Craigslist

Yup!

Craig basically did a PPI for me, snagged the 914 and goodies. Then picked up Michelle and I from the train station. I can't thank him enough for all the help.

I owe Craig a big favor for sure.

This 914 is really nice and I want to keep it that way. I also want to drive the tires off of it, but keep it really nice and clean.

driving.gif
effutuo101
Very nice Dan! Congrats! I look forward to seeing your ride. Maybe tomorrow...
championgt1
Troy really meant to say that I need those seats! Very nice ride. Congrats!
TC 914-8
AttaBoy Dan, good looking car, I like the BUBS. And Craig (for helping out), Kudos to Michelle for supporting Dan in his 914 quest !!!!!!

I think a trip to the Olympic Pennisula is in order!!!! Troy, Jon, Greenie, everyone else (I can't remember), East Sound meets West Sound!!!!
JRust
Glad to see you back Dan! It's been a while biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 21 2010, 07:23 PM) *

Thanks again Craig!

Dan & Michelle

Looks GREAT! Congrats!
914werke
Nice. Thats what I hope my 76 will look like soon.
So does that mean the Boxster is down the road?
Eddie914
Dan,

Welcome back!

I am looking forward to Tuesday nights after things slow down for me after April 15th.

Eddie
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 22 2010, 11:27 PM) *

Nice. Thats what I hope my 76 will look like soon.
So does that mean the Boxster is down the road?

Yup, Box hit the road. I didn't quite have enough $$$ to buy something that didn't require major repair.

I got to looking around a little closer at this one last night. It'll need a few things. Nothing major at all though. Drove it into work today. Can't wait for the drive home, top off.

driving.gif

The 914 top, not mine. biggrin.gif
Rand
I'm almost surprised to see you with a 4. smile.gif
If you keep the carbs, a cam upgrade and Mallory dizzy would wake it up nicely. idea.gif
Sweet and nimble.
You should come to WCR and take in Tahoe topless.
Zardozz
HEY!! What's with all that water on the car?!!?!
Root_Werks
So, I wanted to give an update on the 914 I picked up. Not much has been done to it and it really doesn't NEED anything.

I've been tossing back and forth about keeping it carb'd or going back to FI. It runs really, really good right now and should probably just leave it alone.

My biggest peeve about carbs is the noise. SHLUCK, SHLUCK, SHLUCK! The 914 exhaust note and even wind noise is so low the carb noise overpowers the sounds of everything.

Here is a shot of the current set up, prev pic from Criag....
Root_Werks
One of the things I picked up to try to eliminate the intake noise are these:

Root_Werks
Issue with these 912 air cleaners is the bolt-on pattern is different of course. I knew that when I bought them, and know I could modify them to work and look as though they were put on at the factory. But it'll be work.

I've been looking and cannot find anything that is made for webers that helps to reduce the intake noise. Do rain hats help? The outer foam covers?

Was there ever a euro or ROW dual carb application air cleaner set-up from a Type2 or Type3 I could use? Any advice would be most helpful.

idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.