Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got a new 914!, Post 2011 Evil Tranny Clinic update:
Bleyseng
post Aug 18 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #161

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 15 2010, 10:54 PM) *

The AAV valve you can't really see, it's tucked under there.

So far, parts have been installed just minutes ago on my 914, so getting closer!

Still waiting on new fuel line and a bunch of vac lines.

Tomorrow might be a trial fire off with the FI? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This picture shows the correct spring for the throttle body...Looks like you have a Djet one on your setup... Throttle should snap back quickly..Looks like that is a Bus spring to me for the 1.8L Ljet
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 18 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #162

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 18 2010, 08:28 AM) *

Nice job Dan! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Interesting to see what the mileage will be. How about power? About same, up or down?
Tom

Right now it's hard to tell, less than the carbs, but I have popped the top off the AFM yet. I downloaded all the pictures and narative from the link Geoff posted above. That's kinda my next step, hook up to an LM1 so I can see what the FI is delivering to the engine.

I know this system as-is can feed a stock 914-4 2.0 no problem. It's just getting it dailed from the 1.8 it came from to the 2.0 it resides on now.

It has really good torque, dies off really fast when the RPM's get up there.

Another thing I still have on the punch list is swaping out the dizzy. I still have the old school Bosch "022" (Spendy!) and just have the vac ports plugged off on the TB. I do have the stock vac dizzy I'll probably install.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 18 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #163

Village Idiot

Thanks for the link again Geoff.

That helped me do a little Static and Dynamic adjusting. Runs pretty smooth and seems pretty strong. Fires off every time.

Time to start logging the fuel economy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 19 2010, 08:48 AM
Post #164

Village Idiot

I forgot to mention I was able to correct the slow to return idle issue. It was nothing more than the TB shaft being a little gummed up from sitting for who knows how long.

Decel valve was taken out of the system, then put back in when I determined it wasn't the culprit.

Snaps back to idle just fine now, no popping on long decels, everything seems to be doing what it's suppose to.

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 19 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #165

Village Idiot

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Aug 12 2010, 10:06 PM) *

Hey Dan, does your fan have the 7.5' timing mark? Not the same as the Djet mark. BTW, I've got a calibration for the airflow meter, position vs resistance, if you want to make a few static checks on the meter.

My wife likes the dancing banana, so this is for her.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Dave,

I have a timing light that you can use the TDC mark and adjust a little knob on the back for desired timing and just use the TDC mark on the engine. So I'm covered there.

Although, I still have my old "022" dizzy set at 27 degrees total.

I have the stock L-Jet dizzy I plan on installing pretty soon. IIRC, 5-7.5 idle with hoses disconnected and pluged. I'll double check the book on that one.

If you'r offering to let me borrow a calibration tool, that would be sweet!

For the short term, just playing things by ear and keeping track of how many notches I moved the dynamic spring and how much I moved the static arm. All CCW of course.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 19 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #166

Aircooled Baby!

should be the same timing, 27 BTDC at 3500rpms hoses off and plugged. Then when its at idle 7.5 BTDC with the hoses on....
Should get ya more hp and torque as the timing has to be spot on.. Check when its all done and see if the timing is advancing...and the fuel pressure regulator is pushing the psi up at WOT...like 42lbs. With Ljet if the vac hoses are quite right you won't get the WOT mix right due to improper vac to the regulator...no extra fuel... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 19 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #167

Village Idiot

Ah, that makes sense.

The "022" dizzy has no vac pots, thus they are capped on the TB right now.

I have a pressure gauge and will check my pressure at idle and WOT, see if there is any changes. I'll look up and verify specs as well.

The biggest difference between carbs and FI is the smoothness, especially in low RPM's and when cold and starting the engine under all conditions. I love the simplicity of carbs, but it's hard to beat even just the couple of sensors FI has to change the delivery depending on the needs.

Something carbs just can't do.........carbs really do suck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 19 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #168

Aircooled Baby!

Just wait until you get it all working right! Hah, it will make a great DD for you...
Mine starts right up even when it is 20 degrees outside!

The Ljet will be smooth too with lots of torque once you get the WOT and dizzy right. I love it in my Westy..
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Aug 19 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #169

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 19 2010, 10:56 AM) *

should be the same timing, 27 BTDC at 3500rpms hoses off and plugged. Then when its at idle 7.5 BTDC with the hoses on....
Should get ya more hp and torque as the timing has to be spot on.. Check when its all done and see if the timing is advancing...and the fuel pressure regulator is pushing the psi up at WOT...like 42lbs. With Ljet if the vac hoses are quite right you won't get the WOT mix right due to improper vac to the regulator...no extra fuel... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Actually, specs are 7.5BTDC with hoses OFF and idle speed adjusted to 750-900rpm. Here's the procedure:
-- engine warm
-- remove vacuum line to dist and clamp shut (note idle speed will increase)
-- adjust idle using bypass screw on TB to 750-900rpm
-- set timing to 7.5BTDC
-- reattach vacuum line (idle speed will drop)
-- set idle speed back to 750-900rpm

The effect of all this is that you won't be able to see the 7.5' timing mark when the vac hoses are connected. Because the vacuum retard has so much authority, under idle conditions the timing is actually occurring AFTER TDC. Strange but true.

Also, be sure to leave the vacuum advance fitting open to atmosphere -- only connect up the vacuum retard fitting.

One more thing: the reg maintains a constant fuel pressure with respect to the pressure at the reference port (which should be connected to the manifold). So fuel pressure isn't really increasing as you open the throttle; it's tracking the higher manifold pressure. Pressure across the injector remains constant.
+Quote Post
Rocky
post Aug 19 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #170

From the cockpit

Member No.: 1,845

Wow, nice car Dan. I have a carbed 2.0 sitting in my garage but my stock L jet 1.8 runs so good I cant get up to replacing it. I get ~ 38mpg all highway.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 23 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #171

Village Idiot

I ran through the first tank of fuel, but won't start logging mileage until it's a little more tuned, which is this tank.

Geoff is correct, it's pretty amazing the amount of torque the L-Jet provides. The idle and low RPM driving is so smooth.

I'm still running points and will convert to the electronic points when I install the factory ign dist.

I've been having fun putting my foot into it, so mileage really won't be stellar these first couple of tanks. I'll post results anyway. After the newness wears off of having FI, I'll chill out and see what kind of "normal" driving can achieve.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 23 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #172

Aircooled Baby!

Haha, told you so! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) Now when are you going to put a Raby Cam in it? Jump upto 115hp and really rock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

This thread is a good inspiration for all those 1.8L Ljet 914's out there! Thinking of going to dual carbs, forget it! Retain the FI and go 2.0L or 2056 with your Ljet and really have some fun and still it looks totally stock! The Ljet makes for a nice Daily Driver setup, soo smooth.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 23 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #173

Village Idiot

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Yeah, yeah, you and Troy can rub this one in, you've earned the rights to it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think as long as you have a correct cam, the displacement isn't much of a factor. If you really wanted the ability to feed bigger engines, it's a simple matter of making sure your intake runners will support the flow along with injectors. The rest of the system is just simple math.

We'll see how it fairs over time, my guess will be nothing less than great results. If so, it'll be source a 2270 with proper cam and install L-Jet on it. Probably hotwire and O2 sensor so some 944 parts.

Bored with six conversions (Can't afford them anymore anyway) and I can't bring myself to start welding steel top or flares on this one.....so engine is kinda all I have to fiddle with.

Maybe the exception of the tranny? I wonder if Jamie still has that "H" geared rebuilt unit?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 23 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #174

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 23 2010, 01:03 PM) *

Maybe the exception of the tranny? I wonder if Jamie still has that "H" geared rebuilt unit?

Actually I sold that. I do plan to do more than one this winter. Figured it will be a good extra winter project for my v8 cars. I just need to track down 2 more "h" gears to do them. No rush though as we all know I don't have a 914 that runs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 23 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #175

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Yeah, yeah, you and Troy can rub this one in, you've earned the rights to it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think as long as you have a correct cam, the displacement isn't much of a factor. If you really wanted the ability to feed bigger engines, it's a simple matter of making sure your intake runners will support the flow along with injectors. The rest of the system is just simple math.

We'll see how it fairs over time, my guess will be nothing less than great results. If so, it'll be source a 2270 with proper cam and install L-Jet on it. Probably hotwire and O2 sensor so some 944 parts.

Bored with six conversions (Can't afford them anymore anyway) and I can't bring myself to start welding steel top or flares on this one.....so engine is kinda all I have to fiddle with.

if you try a 2270 you'll have to set it up for lower rpm torque and not for higher rpm power, the long runners and small plenum is gonna restrict high rpm power.

geoff was talking about the bus plenum being larger.... maybe some thing to that, and not sure what could be done with the stock manifolds at the heads and the tubes to the man/plenum.

geoff ..... geoff....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 30 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #176

Village Idiot

Well, first tank of fuel didn't really yield anything to write home about.

284 miles (Real miles, not Porsche's optimistic assement of speedometer readings)

11 gallons of fuel

25.8 or 26 mpg.

Eh, it's an average with very mixed driving, test driving, sporty driving, some freeway, some light foot, some heavy foot.

26mpg is a far cry from what I'm shooting for though. Time to source an LM1 and tune by the AFM numbers.

+Quote Post
DanT
post Aug 30 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #177

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

Dan,
not bad for your first shot at the tuning...for a mixed bag of driving that sounds pretty good for a 35 year old car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I am getting about 29-30mpg with freeway driving, running 70+ and high ambient temps. That is with slightly tweeked D-jet and stock 74 exhaust.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 30 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #178

Village Idiot

Yup, I also have the backdated exhaust.

Upper 20's isn't bad at all for mixed given the age and state of tune of the thing. I have it set by "ear" and "feel" where the engine seems happiest erroring on the side of a little fat, rather than lean.

It runs great, TON's of torque.

I know for best mpg, I'll dail it back and loose some of that upper end, but that's cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 31 2010, 03:48 AM
Post #179

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 23 2010, 07:13 PM) *

if you try a 2270 you'll have to set it up for lower rpm torque and not for higher rpm power, the long runners and small plenum is gonna restrict high rpm power.

geoff was talking about the bus plenum being larger.... maybe some thing to that, and not sure what could be done with the stock manifolds at the heads and the tubes to the man/plenum.

geoff ..... geoff....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I think the combo that you are talking about is the bus ljet plenum with the 914 2.0L runners which are bigger. This way you have more intake charge air in the system and the bus plenum is better than the 914 2.0l design (sidedraft).
This is the setup I was going to try to run with the 2.4L motor I wasgonna build..running modified Djet just no time for getting the project moving along.

but back to Dan's engine, I think staying stock is a good thing as the smaller runners help increase the intake velocity for better low end torque. If his goal is 40 mpg then he should stay with the stock setup.
Dan, I am back in Seattle next week if you want to get together for some LM1 tuning. I'll be in Seattle only for 30 days...so I also want to see RichD.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 31 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #180

Village Idiot

Geoff,

I catch up with you next week for sure. It'd be good to visit and show off the new 914.

I did try to install a stock 1.8 vac can dist last night. Couldn't get it to fire off. Odd, but I didn't replace anything so could've been a bad condensor? Even found a pertronix kit (used) I have no idea where it came from. Tried that, no go. Had to put the old 022 dist back in, fired right up. Weird.

Wondering if I might yield slightly better mpg with the stock dist over the 912 dist? I'll source some points/cond/cap/rotor and try the install again.

LM1 tunning is needed at this point. Power isn't an issue, I'm shooting for max economy.
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 10:04 PM