Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> canadian 914/6, what you guys think about it? great??
J P Stein
post Mar 31 2004, 03:19 AM
Post #41

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 31 2004, 12:33 AM)
We have factory sixes in this area selling for under 10k. Why buy a conversion when you can have the real thing ??

B

In a word, Horsepower...or izat' 2 wurds? I could write a lot of words about a 200 hp 914, but it don't mean squat to someone that never tried one.....I just guessing, but 300 hp would be better as long as no iron was involved (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

OK, let's say you had that Orange six....nicer than nice. What do you do with it? Wax it, wash it.....get a lifetime supply of Q-tips?....take it to a concours and have some anal retentive old fart tell ya your basket weave holes are .005 oversize?

Always a problem for a car restorer or hot rodder.....I'm done, now what?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 31 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #42

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Another reason to buy a conversion is if it's there (available)

I did the math to get a car from NorCal to Calgary...now add another 2500 miles to those costs. It adds up.
+Quote Post
914_6conv
post Mar 31 2004, 06:46 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 1,075

Brad Roberts wrote:
Why buy a conversion when you can get a real /6 under 10K

Brad, be serious. There was a time when real sixes were out of touch and asking 15-20K, remember? Then why the hell have they come down under 10K???? Because their wimpy 2.0L maybe? Because they are getting as rusted as the /4s??? And as JP Stein mentionned, what do you do with it after??

And again, stop comparing apples and oranges. 10K is still a lot more than the 6K i am asking. Leaving him 4K to get a much better car:
2.7 vs 2.0L
180HP vs 110HP
911 suspension vs 914
side shifter vs tail shifter
etc.

And Brad, what would be the condition of a REAL six under 10K????

Best to all.
+Quote Post
physician
post Mar 31 2004, 07:30 AM
Post #44

still looking for a teener....

Member No.: 1,819

let me clear something on this one. i'm really interest on that 6 car.the only thing that bother me, it's that if i bought that car, finish it, i wont have money left if something break or need to be replaced. it seems to be a great car but it's in the highest end of ny budget. if i find a a cheaper, may not be as fun as a your6, but will allow me to replace parts if necesarie and ride it instead of rebuilding it.

so i prefer to wait. you seem fair and honest on your call, seems to know your car to. i don't have that much to put on car for now, so when i'll be ready i'll call you back, if you still have the car.. instead of taking your time, good luck with your sale

as for the crack or separate thing, remind you that my english isn't perfect......

sorry about the inconvenient i may have caused, but i had no bad intentions... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
only search for the best 914 i can affordnot only to buy, but to maintain and ride!
+Quote Post
larryp
post Mar 31 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 675

As far as myself, I do not care if a car is a factory six or a conversion, as long as the conversion is done well. I think many conversions are better than "real" sixes.

I simply want a car that is safe, dependable and fast. My experience in getting there is that these are very costly cars.

IMO, the parts alone here are worth the money. I'd love to see pictures of the 10K real sixes, and the receipts for the following two years.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 31 2004, 07:54 AM
Post #46

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

From looks of my email I guess I pissed Farley off, sorry dude that was not the intent. Do the emails stop now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

All 914's are "money pits" to some extent, even the best ones. This site is about advice, opinions, and free speech. An opinion was asked and opinions were given, but in the end it's the buyers decision.
That is not going to change.

$8000. ($6000US) is not a bad price for /6 project car in Canada, what I was saying is the buyer could have double that (or more) into it when completed. One thing if you are trying to sell your /6 you may want to update or delete your project site.
Another is the engine is not finished and running, why? Did the cam timing scare you?
If the buyer was to bring the engine to me to finish I will not touch it, not without a complete teardown and inspection. The liability is just too great.

Check the /6 out, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time or last.

Nuff said.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 31 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #47

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I need to clearly step down from my admin position for a minute. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Here goes.

Another one seriously pretended that a 1972 1.7 914 is fun?????

I guess I'm seriously pretending. I'm looking at a 72 1.7 right now. A nice clean 72 1.7 can be a heck of a lot of fun. Does it have a /6 in the back? No, but that doesn't mean that it can't be a cool daily driver. Who are you to crap on someone else's cars?

Brad, be serious. There was a time when real sixes were out of touch and asking 15-20K, remember? Then why the hell have they come down under 10K???? Because their wimpy 2.0L maybe? Because they are getting as rusted as the /4s??? And as JP Stein mentionned, what do you do with it after??

-The 914 is the one subject that Brad is always serious about. Why have they come down? The same reason that you can get a mortgage for a pittance: ebb and flow of the economy.

-Rusted /4s? Unless I'm mistaken, your (914/4) chassis was built in the 70s, too, and has the same tendencies towards rust issues. In general, the original /6s were better taken care of over the years.

-I'll take my "wimpy" 2.0/6 over some half-assembled, thermal reactor cooked 2.7 with unknown pedigree, thank you.

You probably have a good deal going... but your attitude sucks. Get off your high horse... you're SELLING your 914. Don't attack others who are currently enjoying theirs.

Good luck selling your pile of parts. You can use the money to buy a Mustang or Vette, which you obviously should be driving.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
914_6conv
post Mar 31 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 1,075

Hi guys me again the seller. What pissed me off is that people are making comments about a car that they didnt see. And that they cant read either ALL the ionfos on that car that i gave the seller. And that between the line you are judged as someone who wants to screw a newbie???? Maybe it is that its not the right 914 for him, and that id agree.

This thread was started in my back. Imagine my surprise when a friend of mine mentionned to me that people were jerking off my back, without taking informations first.
The problem is that i tried to be honest with the car. Its not pristine, But its no crap either.

Your comments --vs--> what i said about

Comments: 2.7 stud-pulling overheated
What i wrote: many times i mentionned that the engine was rebuilded, receipts to prove it and that the 7R case was case-saved, with new studs.

Comments: There are way too many nice cars out there for sale other than this overpriced pile of parts
What i wrote: that pile of parts worths much more than 6K isnt it?
Maybe in the US there are such examples. But i imported many cars in Canada and you have to add 15% (1K US$) only to import it. Does it worth it? Dont forget Canada market is way different that in the US where 914s abound.

Comments: You probably have a good deal going... but your attitude sucks. Get off your high horse... you're SELLING your 914. Don't attack others who are currently enjoying theirs.
Good luck selling your pile of parts. You can use the money to buy a Mustang or Vette, which you obviously should be driving.
What i wrote: That one kills me.... My attitude sucks. What if id say that your car is crap, that its way overpriced, that people should run from it???? And that i didnt even know the car? Do you judge by my web site where i described how i did it?

Anyhow, ive learned a few things. First is that i made a mistake trying to sell a non-finished project. Ill finish it and keep you posted.

Thanks to all, i do think that this fuss is all about misleading infos and/or comments. I am not angry nor mad at anyone. Maybe a bit frustrated.

If i offended Bleyseng or Mark Henry, please take these words as personal apologies. If i emailed privatly, i didnt wanted to reply to the forum for personal comments.

Best to all.
+Quote Post
davep
post Mar 31 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #49

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 31 2004, 12:33 AM)
We have factory sixes in this area selling for under 10k. Why buy a conversion when you can have the real thing ??

B

I will voice my opinion now publicly- Physican RUN as fast as you can from this car! Nomex on!

Geoff

A car already in Canada has easy title transfer and no customs hassles.
You save possibly $3000 in delivery costs from California.
Most conversions started with bigger engines and engines are likely in much better condition.
Most conversions have two movable seats.
Most conversions already have a bunch of improvements added.

Still, an original six has some cache, and I am looking anyway.

Geoff, That is a little uncalled for. Some guys pour their heart and soul into a car. Your words do not impress me at all. You need the nomex. Every car is a good deal at some price. Just because you Yanks cooked your 2.7 engines does not mean to say everyone did. Same thing with 2.0 /4 heads; cracked heads here are very uncommon.

DaveP
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 31 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(914_6conv @ Mar 31 2004, 09:02 AM)
Hi guys me again the seller.

I wouldn't take it personal, there are people on here who flame all cars that aren't theirs or their buddies.
+Quote Post
davep
post Mar 31 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #51

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244

QUOTE(vortrex @ Mar 31 2004, 10:28 AM)
I wouldn't take it personal, there are people on here who flame all cars that aren't theirs or their buddies.

And have nomex at the ready!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
physician
post Mar 31 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #52

still looking for a teener....

Member No.: 1,819

lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) come on guys, cool down! you all have a passion for 914, i've ask for different info/opinion on the car, don't flame other opinion!! i'm a grown up you know! i have my own opinion! anyway, i'll be going to see for myself when i'll got the time i'm kind of busy right now... chill out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 31 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #53

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I just said "Oh, Ok I know the car" I have read his posts over the years on the work he has done, followed his progress, checked out his site several times. I got two fairly nasty emails, I did reply politely to the first and pretty polite to the second one too. But it got me going that he was bashing others also so I voiced my opinion of the car on the BBS. Its my opinion only! Which I feel I can do, don't like it, tough. Voice your own.

On this BBS I try to help everybody, from guys selling cars (JimChambers) to guys buying cars (I have PPI 3 cars this year), send parts for free, repair guys cars for free, help people with Djet and other problems online and offline. Rarely do I go negative for the sake of being negative. I try to support all 914 owners or buyers with my own fair opinion and I am not out to get anyone.

This car is not for a newbie in my opinion and that all.

Geoff
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 31 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #54

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Geoff:

I want you to know. I took your rude comments about the 2.7L personally.

Then again your 4 pooper don't impress me none, either.:finger2: :finger2: :finger2: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 31 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #55

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Take your thermo reacted 2.7 210 hp motor and shove it where the sun don't shine, ya old fart!
(wish that was my motor so you wanna trade?)
hey, you need a new project so you should buy this car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Oh, just to show you guys I have no hard feelings, I finally stopped arguing with Kevin Powers, I hired him to make him listen to the boss!
Let the good times roll...
Geoff
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:35 PM