Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you budget for your 914?, a bit ancillary to Quennie's thread
DNHunt
post Mar 30 2004, 09:36 AM
Post #21

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

My budget is whatever I can sneak in under my wife's radar, and I try using the excuse that it's really no more expensive than any other car. Actually, all that stuff's beginning to sound kinda lame. I think I'm headed for a train wreck soon.

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pam
post Mar 30 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #22

Unnumbered Lady of 914s

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 756

"If you are a woman get a boyfriend who knows how to work on cars."

I guess in spite of the extensive restoration the Bee went through, my 914 work hasn't been complete - I have yet to come across the tool or part that REQUIRES a penis to operate the tool. As far as I know, that would be the ONLY reason I'd NEED a 'boyfriend' to help me work on a 914.

-Pam
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 30 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #23

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Buy a decent car some other guy has spent too much money on, and maintain it yourself.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I had a 73 that was more than a money pit. Sold it after 3 yrs and $5k in parts & repairs and it was still a POS.

When I bought my 70, I found one that had the work already done. It does need some minor body work done, but nothing major. I learn to by the best 914 you can find. For budgeting I figure $1k a year misc stuff. I am lucky enough to have room to buy parts cars and strip them down to help pay for 914 sickness. My wife understands that my 914 is very important to me so the cost of keeping it on the road is ok with her since I am not out at a bar or playing golf every weekend. She enjoys going for rides in the car and so does the boy.

- Garold
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Mar 30 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #24

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Good point but a boyfriend might make the rest breaks fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Dave
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 30 2004, 09:47 AM
Post #25

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

QUOTE(Pam @ Mar 30 2004, 07:38 AM)
I have yet to come across the tool or part that REQUIRES a penis to operate the tool.

-Pam

go PAM go

I was waiting for someone to jump on that, heehee. But in a sense Geoff has a good point. If your goal is to own and drive a nice classic car, not spend countless hours learning how to repair it, then get a buddy who can help out. Otherwise pay the mechanic.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 30 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #26

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

They don't, haha. If you don't know how to work on a car find someone then or learn.
Queenie is in school and has no time, doesn't know how and can't afford it soo the third option is to get a boyfriend who knows how. That was why I made that comment.
Sellling a car cuz its expensive to fix, well all cars are expensive. Buy new and you pay monthly or buy used and pay to repair it from time to time.

I like to work on cars and I can cook ok. Monique loves to cook and not work on cars, so we are a match made in heaven. haha

Geoff
(due to new FCC rules is it ok to say "penis" here?)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 30 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #27

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

A much smarter guy told me a long time ago.. If it has wheels, floats, or flies (yeah, I know the other one) it's gonna cost you.

Sad thing is, if you can't afford a new one, you can't afford an old one. Teeners may be cheap to buy, but no less expensive to maintain than a new 996. If cheap transportation is your goal, buy an Asian car with a forever warranty. If you want to have fun, it will cost you. IMHO Queenie should not drive an old car.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 30 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #28

Aircooled Baby!

maybe she needs a older boyfriends with money! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Boldylocks
post Mar 30 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,135

Sell blood and other fluids when big things are needed...
Otherwise, pinch Dominoes delivery guys...generally they give up the cash quick. I know I did when I was a Dominoes dude (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Great question but I think this ranks up there with the whole sound in the forest thing...
If you cant hear the sound, was there sound????

Its hard to budget for something you love and I mean REALLY the people on this board have a passion for the 914 that rivals old Italian families.

Just throw what you can afford at it, find a mechanic (good or bad), learn how to do some things yourself. Me, I know how to replace my fuses and am learning how to fill the tires!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Mar 30 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #30

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Boldylocks @ Mar 30 2004, 06:27 PM)

Its hard to budget for something you love and I mean REALLY the people on this board have a passion for the 914 that rivals old Italian families.

Just throw what you can afford at it, find a mechanic (good or bad), learn how to do some things yourself. Me, I know how to replace my fuses and am learning how to fill the tires!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

very elequent! and I agree... I learn more and more about the cars every time I work on them. I've pretty much have the brakes DOWN PAT! since that was my first project and I've done it twice now... a couple more engine drops and I'll feel good about that too...

remember kids, learning IS FUN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 30 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #31

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Yea, try supporting two P cars. As a wise man has already stated above. new cars cost every month. The way I see it my 25 yr 928 will spank most Mustangs. at 1000 bucks in parts a year average over 12 years way cheaper that anything else. My 70 914 will get WAY better gas milage.

Then there are the "Cool Points" for driving a Porsche to work everyday. So how much does that cost? Priceless.

I put 1000 dollars in the Explorer this year too. So ??????

Oh yea I do side jobs like ceramic tile, Dry wall, Electrical,General carpentry, Cabinet making, I'll paint it if you can hold it down. and now Brick. If you can break it I can fix it. NO PENIS required. But it comes with the rest of me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 31 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #32

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Mar 29 2004, 09:57 PM)
how do you budget for your 914? do you ever feel like you spend too much on your car?

well, when i bought the car, i still had a "real" job that paid 120,000 a year. most of the expensive addons (5-lug conversion & wheels) were done during that period.

now i run my own company. most of the money goes right back into growing the business.
on a good month, i get $2000 net out of it.
usually less.

i'm just glad the car runs right now cause otherwise it would be non-oped ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 31 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #33

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I work on all of the cars around here. Occasionally I farm some work out. The wife's last new car went bye-bye along with the $460/mo car payment. I bought her a 10 year old Jeep. She likes it, and it's paid for.

My 914 budget pretty much got shot to hell as I stripped the 914 and found rust, rust, and more rust. I told my wife I didn't have the money to have it fixed and she said don't worry we'll get it taken car of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 31 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #34

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

I have yet to come across the tool or part that REQUIRES a penis to operate the tool.

now that's funny ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i wonder if there are any tools that require a vagina to operate?!?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 31 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #35

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I don't know if you'd really call it a tool...
+Quote Post
blonde914
post Mar 31 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #36

SHERRY

Member No.: 1,630

"If you are a woman get a boyfriend who knows how to work on cars."

I guess in spite of the extensive restoration the Bee went through, my 914 work hasn't been complete - I have yet to come across the tool or part that REQUIRES a penis to operate the tool. As far as I know, that would be the ONLY reason I'd NEED a 'boyfriend' to help me work on a 914.

-Pam

You go girl. I have learned to put a roof on a house, drywall, paint(not well), rewire a outlet, change oil, I can clean, cook, raise 5 kids while my husband travels for business(a least that is what he tells me).... I can fry it up in a pan...... surely I can learn to work on my car if I had to. If you want something bad enough you do what you have to!!

THANK GOD I DON'T HAVE TO!!

The penis thing comes in handy sometimes though,

Sherry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 31 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #37

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

As a doctoral student at Stanford, perhaps we should ask how you budget for your tuition? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spank.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 31 2004, 06:30 AM
Post #38

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Budget for the race car: buy what I want when I want it and take a business tax deduction, up to the highest reasonable limit for advertising a one person business. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
Budget for the street car: any parts that come of the race car, or traded from a customer's car, are eligible for the streeter.
When my 2002 Dodge Dakota is paid for ($400/mo) at the end of this year I'll have a few $$ to get the street car painted. Until then I'm too embarassed to drive it much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 31 2004, 08:31 AM
Post #39

Aircooled Baby!

I will teach anybody how to work on their cars, male or female.
Last night I helped a ex-Microsoft programer (retired to be an actor) to adjust his valves in my garage which I let him use (he lives in a Condo). I have been teaching him how to do auto mechanical work for 2-3 years and he loves it. He grew up in NYC so this is all new to him, tools, clutch cables, Djet and he now loves it. I guess he feels impowered instead of (he can afford it) dropping off the car to a auto repair place.

The point is you have to be willing to learn and that isn't penis or vagina dependant, so if you not willing or have the time, you have to hook up with someone who can do it for you. I am sorry but most shops in the Seattle area just butcher 914 when they work on them. I have spend alot of time helping the above friends car just to repair the damage mechanics have done on his car. These were some of the top Porsche shops in the area!
Geoff
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 31 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #40

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

Hey Geoff want to move Indiana, there are a few lots available in my subdivison (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . That's the kind of help I really like. I found a lot of memebers here that have been willing to give up their free time to help me not only with the 914 but other projects also.

I'm always willing to help someone when I can. My friends and I have always been "you help me, I'll help you" types.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:20 AM