Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I missing an Engine Tin Piece?, Pass side bottom on 73 2.0
Tom_T
post Apr 1 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

So I crawled under the 914 last weekend & noticed a tin in the first pic on the bottom of the L bank rear (drivers side), but nothing but an empty screw hole on the R bank bottom-rear in the second pic - is that a missing tin similar to the L side???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

L Bank rear underside tins:

Attached Image

Attached Image

If so, can somebody post a pic of that R tin - either in or out of a 914, so I can see what I'm looking for?

There's obviously a lot of work to clean this engine/trans & tins up & repainted or powder-coated for my resto!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Apr 1 2010, 11:13 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I must be tired...I can't recognize those pics...but hopefully this helps.

Off of Pelican.

(IMG:http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/engine/Engine%20Sheet%20Metal%201.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.pelicanparts.com-8357-1270185220.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 1 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #3

TMI....

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 1 2010, 10:13 PM) *

Maybe #59 is the one I have in top photo, & #62 missing in bottom pic of my first post? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Apr 2 2010, 06:35 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Yup, you are right Tom. You are missing #62 by the looks of it. That is the piece that goes on the very back (towards back of car) of #3 cylinder. Pretty important piece IMO.

I have found that one of the easiest (and cheapest) ways to get a tin piece is to post a WTB here in the classifieds. I just replaced a piece of tin on my Dad's car for $20 shipped. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 2 2010, 08:08 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 2 2010, 05:35 AM) *

Yup, you are right Tom. You are missing #62 by the looks of it. That is the piece that goes on the very back (towards back of car) of #3 cylinder. Pretty important piece IMO.

I have found that one of the easiest (and cheapest) ways to get a tin piece is to post a WTB here in the classifieds. I just replaced a piece of tin on my Dad's car for $20 shipped. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

the easiest but not cheapest way is to give us a ring and we will send out today. We sell the piece for 10 bucks PLUS shipping.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 2 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

How is 10 bucks PLUS shipping cheaper than 20 bucks shipped?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
gopack
post Apr 2 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #7

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 2 2010, 09:08 AM) *

the easiest but not cheapest way is to give us a ring and we will send out today. We sell the piece for 10 bucks PLUS shipping.

He said easiest but NOT cheapest! I figure that if a USPS flat rate box is used, the shipping should be about 10 bucks anyways!
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 2 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #8

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) about $20 either way.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Apr 2 2010, 08:50 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

If you just want easy, pay me $2000 and I will fly out and install it myself! (that way you won't even have to think about it) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 2 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 2 2010, 07:08 AM) *

Thanx George - have Carrie put it that pending order stuff for me, along with a rear plasti-chrome bumper tow-eye plug! One less tin I need to Resto & Repaint/powder! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Thanx!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 2 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #11

TMI....

Thanx Sleepin & all!

I agree it's important, but it probably got knocked loose when hit in the rear back in 5/85, and just never noticed it before.

I'm in the process of stripping to shell & getting a body shop lined up to media-blast, repair accident & rust damage, prime/paint - so I have a way to go on this sucker! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Apr 2 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #12

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

[/quote]

If the road goes thru Atlanta....you're sure to get the right
piece! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) or take your chances?
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Apr 2 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #13

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Tom: I am missing # 4 in the pic., found out last summer . I got a replacement have yet to install ,probbly this weekend.Interested in oil temp after install,should go down a little. Better air flow? Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 2 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(BarberDave @ Apr 2 2010, 02:52 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Tom: I am missing # 4 in the pic., found out last summer . I got a replacement have yet to install ,probbly this weekend.Interested in oil temp after install,should go down a little. Better air flow? Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Yes - better cooling, as all the VW & Porsche air/oil cooled engines use tins designed to direct the cooling fan & other airflow where it needs to be to best cool that particular engine T-1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Dave - did you ever find a voltmeter donation for the center console that you're restoring for proceeds to go to your handicapped charity?

If not - guys & gals - Barber Dave needs a voltmeter for 914 center console he's restoring - Mark Heard & I already donated an extra clock & OT gauge we had respectively. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

So step up & search your parts stash for one you can donate for Dave's efforts here - he cleans up & restores 914 center consoles for Teeners here, then donates the proceeds to his charity! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Help him out!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 2 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #15

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 1 2010, 10:10 PM) *

So I crawled under the 914 last weekend & noticed a tin in the first pic on the bottom of the L bank rear (drivers side), but nothing but an empty screw hole on the R bank bottom-rear in the second pic - is that a missing tin similar to the L side???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

If so, can somebody post a pic of that R tin - either in or out of a 914, so I can see what I'm looking for?

There's obviously a lot of work to clean this engine/trans & tins up & repainted or powder-coated for my resto!
Sorry Tom - couldn't help myself!
Is that the best yu can do for spider webs? Geez, I have 3 on leashes & six more with flea collars! Don'y think Spidey lives here - ask Ferg!
Pat

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 3 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #16

TMI....

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 2 2010, 05:28 PM) *

Sorry Tom - couldn't help myself!
Is that the best yu can do for spider webs? Geez, I have 3 on leashes & six more with flea collars! Don'y think Spidey lives here - ask Ferg!
Pat

BTW all y'all - is it safe to clean the engine & trans case, suspension & shocks, etc. from years of oil leaks & road grime with POR Marine Clean, or is that too strong for the paint, aluminum & magnesium alloys, etc.?? ... &/or other safer cleaner suggestions?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

OK - OK - needles to say (pun intended) - other priorities Pat, like getting rockers off (good at both longs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ), & trying to strip to shell & get pix for bodywork estimates, etc. Getting close to doing a post in garage for SoCal body shops to give me estimates (& McMark if not too much $$ to ship 2 shells & travel up there to Napa during process - as it's about = NYC - Atlanta distance-wise).

Engine/Trans will come out as unit at my mechanic for refresh, while I do tins, etc., & while this shell-roller & ex-racer donor shell go to TBD shop for paint & body!

If I ever get any CW entries on this 914 when it's done, then I should at least get a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) for "resurrection from the dead" from where it's come! Just pulled inner door seals on both door & found bad rust on the bottom skins above the seal (seal covered it), the donor pass is clean, but driver is also holed there but not as bad - so now I need to find a local late L door that's clean!

Oddly enough - it appears from peeking behind the inner panels on this 8/72 &# MY 2L - that I have a new 3rd door type on it - a "Light Late"!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
It appears to be the late regulator & inner framework, but lacking the side impact reinforcing bars welded between the outer skin & inner frame (I can see them on the 74 donor shell's doors & know what to look for & where, but nada!) ~ & no CW's, they were never lightened by anyone removing them & doors were original to the vehicle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
... probably just one of those early-73 MY anomalies which extended to the first 1-2,000 cars built! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

BTW - with all the El Nino rains - we're having a killer Black Widow season out here, & I was almost attacked by a humongous one when looking for the hide-a-key under the Honda my daughter drives everyday - to get it's Alt. replaced!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)
... not sure which of those are "active" or not - so I shoot with the zoom when I can & approach with caution! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

PS - this is why I got such a giggle out of Steve G's prolific apologies over how "dirty" his Sahara's engine & underside was!!! I mean look what I've got to get into shape - even rust on the cylinder heads' fins!!!
... don't know whether to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:01 AM