Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing New Brakes (thanks Eric!), Are these speed bleeders?
rjames
post Apr 4 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am finally getting around to installing the calipers I ordered from PMB. Others have said it before, but I will say it again: these things are beautiful! The brakes will probably be the nicest parts on my car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

These bleeders were on my old calipers and look different than the ones supplied with the restored calipers. Are these speed bleeders?

If so I may decide to use them instead. Of course I'll need to clean them up first.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
realred914
post Apr 4 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #2

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 4 2010, 09:03 AM) *

I am finally getting around to installing the calipers I ordered from PMB. Others have said it before, but I will say it again: these things are beautiful! The brakes will probably be the nicest parts on my car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

These bleeders were on my old calipers and look different than the ones supplied with the restored calipers. Are these speed bleeders?

If so I may decide to use them instead. Of course I'll need to clean them up first.
Attached Image

the speed bleeders have a spring loaded check valve in the end that goes into the caliper. I dont see that on this one.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 4 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

If you can't blow thought the nipple side, it's a speedbleeder.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rjames
post Apr 4 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #4

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ok, thanks for the info. These are not speed bleeders then.
Were there two different bleeder styles- maybe earlier and later? My car is a '75.
The ones I got from Eric are shorter. And unlike the ones shown here, the others don't allow for a socket to fit over them because of their width at 'nipple' end.
+Quote Post
realred914
post Apr 4 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #5

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

i have seen fat and skinny ones on the 914 also they may be repalced with generaic ones. ones off a VW bugh also fit. for best life, always use a nice 6 point wrench or socket to prevent stripping the flats and I always lube the threads with brake grease (do NOT use non-brake grease else the rubber parts inside may fail, even trace amounts of regular grease will ruin the brakes)

besure to have the rubber caps put back on the bleeders also, that keeps water out which if allowed in with quickly corrode the valve.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:34 PM