Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing New Brakes (thanks Eric!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I am finally getting around to installing the calipers I ordered from PMB. Others have said it before, but I will say it again: these things are beautiful! The brakes will probably be the nicest parts on my car! biggrin.gif

These bleeders were on my old calipers and look different than the ones supplied with the restored calipers. Are these speed bleeders?

If so I may decide to use them instead. Of course I'll need to clean them up first.
Click to view attachment
realred914
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 4 2010, 09:03 AM) *

I am finally getting around to installing the calipers I ordered from PMB. Others have said it before, but I will say it again: these things are beautiful! The brakes will probably be the nicest parts on my car! biggrin.gif

These bleeders were on my old calipers and look different than the ones supplied with the restored calipers. Are these speed bleeders?

If so I may decide to use them instead. Of course I'll need to clean them up first.
Click to view attachment

the speed bleeders have a spring loaded check valve in the end that goes into the caliper. I dont see that on this one.
McMark
If you can't blow thought the nipple side, it's a speedbleeder.
rjames
Ok, thanks for the info. These are not speed bleeders then.
Were there two different bleeder styles- maybe earlier and later? My car is a '75.
The ones I got from Eric are shorter. And unlike the ones shown here, the others don't allow for a socket to fit over them because of their width at 'nipple' end.
realred914
i have seen fat and skinny ones on the 914 also they may be repalced with generaic ones. ones off a VW bugh also fit. for best life, always use a nice 6 point wrench or socket to prevent stripping the flats and I always lube the threads with brake grease (do NOT use non-brake grease else the rubber parts inside may fail, even trace amounts of regular grease will ruin the brakes)

besure to have the rubber caps put back on the bleeders also, that keeps water out which if allowed in with quickly corrode the valve.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.