Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Torn Meniscus; Surgery on the Way!, Sucks
rebelmdot
post Apr 5 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #1

914ini

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,625
Region Association: South East States

Well when I was much younger, prettier, and dumber, I played pro soccer. After retirement (getting a real job as my Mom said), I played mens league for a couple years and got tired of the bitching and moaning of grown men. Started doing Ironman distance triathlons. Well a buddy that I played with in Greece convinced me to "give it a go" again. 1 practice and kachow, you guessed it. Torn meniscus. Surgery hopefully in the next 7-10 days or so, but best case scenario, I get to start my serious triathlon training on June 1. Which gives me roughly 70 days to train for Ironman Louisville....................but since I am an eternal optimist, I guess since I cannot train, I can limp around my garage and work on the teener. Not crying in my cheerios, just venting a little in frustration. I already had this done once at a different location, so it is the time lost rather than the surgery that pisses me off..................and breathe....................thanks for letting me rant.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 5 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Good luck! thanks for making my workout regime seem so modest... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 5 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

my finger is in great shape from changing channels and using my custom mouse pad...

Rich
+Quote Post
mtn flyr
post Apr 5 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,491
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Bummer, Ive been there too, acl surgery twice on the same knee. Had to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks on the second one. Gotta love those lifetime sports! Hang in there!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 5 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #5

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

The surgery is a cakewalk. You should even get a DVD of the operation from the scopes view. You will be walking fine in 3 days, unless............... some ass wipe forgets to wash his/her hands. Then you'll end up with a septic infection. You won't be able to recover any costs or lost wages. After a few more surgeries to clean it out you should be able to walk in a few month's. Then there is 4 mo's of rehab. How do I know? Anyway keyword "hospital infections". It will scare the shit out of you. Then write your Congressman.
+Quote Post
rebelmdot
post Apr 5 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #6

914ini

great pep talk, you should coach! LOL. Did that happen to you? This guy did my last one and is pretty good at his trade. I am a bit of a maniac and the repair was done on the same knee in 2001, still perfect. I will however remind him that at least 60 seconds of vigorous rubbing with plenty of soap. His soap his water, he can wash them as fast as he wants too!
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Apr 5 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #7

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had a torn meniscus. My doc advised some therapy and within about 3 months, all was well. Not sure how badly you've torn yours, but a second opinion is worthwhile.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Apr 6 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #8

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Torn Meniscus - Piece of Cake.

I've had 8 operations on my left knee - meniscus out, meniscus in, ACL transplant, tendon reconstruction, more meniscus out, bone shave & airation, meniscus out.

I've run within 3 days of some of my operations, though I don't recommend it.

Start taking Gluxcosamine
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 6 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mtn flyr @ Apr 5 2010, 07:55 PM) *

Bummer, Ive been there too, acl surgery twice on the same knee. Had to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks on the second one. Gotta love those lifetime sports! Hang in there!

Three times for the ACL on the right knee - amazing how much the methods changed between each 'round' first one I was in the hospital for 4 days and in a soft cast for 3 months, 2nd time I woke in a knee flexing machine and was working out in about a week. The third and I hope last one I was out of available parts so I got a cadaver implant - bearing about half weight before I left the out patient surgery center. Walking unaided in two weeks. Unfortunately I am down to only 25% of the meniscus in the right knee.
I blew up the other knee between surgeries (ACL again) - such fun.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Apr 6 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Had my right done 3 years ago. Stood up in the paint booth one day and it sounded like ( exactly like ) a wooden baseball bat hitting a homer. Knee locked up, good times. Doc told me to stay off of it for 6 weeks after the surgery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) 3 days after the operation I was rebuilding a carb on the deck, a week later I was back at work. He told me then to expect the left to go at some point. It has been showing signs as of late (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Apr 6 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #11

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had mine done right leg medial meniscus 11 months ago. I am fine. It was not a terrible tear, and 7 days to the hour after surgery, I flew to Portland to get my 73 914 2.0

I drove it 1500 miles over 4 days touring the way back to SoCal and never even blinked.

Ok, it was my right foot, so the knee had no shifting to do, but getting in and out was exciting.

Meniscus is nothing compared to ligaments. Those take months to feel even just OK.

Good luck!

John
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Apr 6 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Thats the problem with pro athletes when they take time off and then come back to it.

Your mind remember riding 100 miles like it was nothing and thinks it can again. Then you go out and hurt yourself.

Did my last Ironman 6 years ago. Had a 3 year layoff and now getting back into this kind of stuff again. Gonna spend this year just riding starting with short distance and work myself up to longer distance in the fall.

Still have my cervelo P3. Fucking scary!
+Quote Post
rebelmdot
post Apr 6 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #13

914ini

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 6 2010, 09:10 PM) *

Thats the problem with pro athletes when they take time off and then come back to it.

Your mind remember riding 100 miles like it was nothing and thinks it can again. Then you go out and hurt yourself.

Did my last Ironman 6 years ago. Had a 3 year layoff and now getting back into this kind of stuff again. Gonna spend this year just riding starting with short distance and work myself up to longer distance in the fall.

Still have my cervelo P3. Fucking scary!

You are not whistling Dixie! That is why we love 914"s they are the only thing that will get you close to feeling like going 60mph down hill on a bike that has a 1" tire and weighs 17lbs, wearing spandex! Spandex is optional though in the 914 in case you were wondering.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 10:27 PM