Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Torn Meniscus; Surgery on the Way!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rebelmdot
Well when I was much younger, prettier, and dumber, I played pro soccer. After retirement (getting a real job as my Mom said), I played mens league for a couple years and got tired of the bitching and moaning of grown men. Started doing Ironman distance triathlons. Well a buddy that I played with in Greece convinced me to "give it a go" again. 1 practice and kachow, you guessed it. Torn meniscus. Surgery hopefully in the next 7-10 days or so, but best case scenario, I get to start my serious triathlon training on June 1. Which gives me roughly 70 days to train for Ironman Louisville....................but since I am an eternal optimist, I guess since I cannot train, I can limp around my garage and work on the teener. Not crying in my cheerios, just venting a little in frustration. I already had this done once at a different location, so it is the time lost rather than the surgery that pisses me off..................and breathe....................thanks for letting me rant.

headbang.gif
EdwardBlume
Good luck! thanks for making my workout regime seem so modest... hissyfit.gif
r_towle
my finger is in great shape from changing channels and using my custom mouse pad...

Rich
mtn flyr
Bummer, Ive been there too, acl surgery twice on the same knee. Had to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks on the second one. Gotta love those lifetime sports! Hang in there!
76-914
The surgery is a cakewalk. You should even get a DVD of the operation from the scopes view. You will be walking fine in 3 days, unless............... some ass wipe forgets to wash his/her hands. Then you'll end up with a septic infection. You won't be able to recover any costs or lost wages. After a few more surgeries to clean it out you should be able to walk in a few month's. Then there is 4 mo's of rehab. How do I know? Anyway keyword "hospital infections". It will scare the shit out of you. Then write your Congressman.
rebelmdot
great pep talk, you should coach! LOL. Did that happen to you? This guy did my last one and is pretty good at his trade. I am a bit of a maniac and the repair was done on the same knee in 2001, still perfect. I will however remind him that at least 60 seconds of vigorous rubbing with plenty of soap. His soap his water, he can wash them as fast as he wants too!
KaptKaos
I had a torn meniscus. My doc advised some therapy and within about 3 months, all was well. Not sure how badly you've torn yours, but a second opinion is worthwhile.
carr914
Torn Meniscus - Piece of Cake.

I've had 8 operations on my left knee - meniscus out, meniscus in, ACL transplant, tendon reconstruction, more meniscus out, bone shave & airation, meniscus out.

I've run within 3 days of some of my operations, though I don't recommend it.

Start taking Gluxcosamine
Porcharu
QUOTE(mtn flyr @ Apr 5 2010, 07:55 PM) *

Bummer, Ive been there too, acl surgery twice on the same knee. Had to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks on the second one. Gotta love those lifetime sports! Hang in there!

Three times for the ACL on the right knee - amazing how much the methods changed between each 'round' first one I was in the hospital for 4 days and in a soft cast for 3 months, 2nd time I woke in a knee flexing machine and was working out in about a week. The third and I hope last one I was out of available parts so I got a cadaver implant - bearing about half weight before I left the out patient surgery center. Walking unaided in two weeks. Unfortunately I am down to only 25% of the meniscus in the right knee.
I blew up the other knee between surgeries (ACL again) - such fun.
scotty b
Had my right done 3 years ago. Stood up in the paint booth one day and it sounded like ( exactly like ) a wooden baseball bat hitting a homer. Knee locked up, good times. Doc told me to stay off of it for 6 weeks after the surgery WTF.gif 3 days after the operation I was rebuilding a carb on the deck, a week later I was back at work. He told me then to expect the left to go at some point. It has been showing signs as of late dry.gif
avidfanjpl
I had mine done right leg medial meniscus 11 months ago. I am fine. It was not a terrible tear, and 7 days to the hour after surgery, I flew to Portland to get my 73 914 2.0

I drove it 1500 miles over 4 days touring the way back to SoCal and never even blinked.

Ok, it was my right foot, so the knee had no shifting to do, but getting in and out was exciting.

Meniscus is nothing compared to ligaments. Those take months to feel even just OK.

Good luck!

John
turboman808
Thats the problem with pro athletes when they take time off and then come back to it.

Your mind remember riding 100 miles like it was nothing and thinks it can again. Then you go out and hurt yourself.

Did my last Ironman 6 years ago. Had a 3 year layoff and now getting back into this kind of stuff again. Gonna spend this year just riding starting with short distance and work myself up to longer distance in the fall.

Still have my cervelo P3. Fucking scary!
rebelmdot
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 6 2010, 09:10 PM) *

Thats the problem with pro athletes when they take time off and then come back to it.

Your mind remember riding 100 miles like it was nothing and thinks it can again. Then you go out and hurt yourself.

Did my last Ironman 6 years ago. Had a 3 year layoff and now getting back into this kind of stuff again. Gonna spend this year just riding starting with short distance and work myself up to longer distance in the fall.

Still have my cervelo P3. Fucking scary!

You are not whistling Dixie! That is why we love 914"s they are the only thing that will get you close to feeling like going 60mph down hill on a bike that has a 1" tire and weighs 17lbs, wearing spandex! Spandex is optional though in the 914 in case you were wondering.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.