Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> After market gas gauge and sender replacement, FYI for those that want a change of gauges
Mike Bellis
post Apr 6 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

All of my gauges have been replaced with Autometer Sport Comp. I have been using a programmable gas gauge with the stock VDO sending unit. The other day it stopped working. I followed McMark's sender cleaning and inspection thread. I could not get it to work. Well, not only is my gauge programmable, it has settings for GM, Ford and Chrysler senders. Summit Racing sells an 11 inch tube type sending unit. It is the exact same length as stock. It looks very similar to the stock one and is available in various resistance ranges. The bolt pattern is exactly the same. I needed to buy some 5mm X 25mm allen screws that are longer then stock. I also had to clearance the underside of my expansion tank slightly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) It does not have a provision for the low fuel light on the stock gauge.
So for those wondering... The sender was cheaper than a new 914/911 sending unit and has a warranty.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
oz371
post Apr 6 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,739

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 6 2010, 09:22 PM) *

All of my gauges have been replaced with Autometer Sport Comp. I have been using a programmable gas gauge with the stock VDO sending unit. The other day it stopped working. I followed McMark's sender cleaning and inspection thread. I could not get it to work. Well, not only is my gauge programmable, it has settings for GM, Ford and Chrysler senders. Summit Racing sells an 11 inch tube type sending unit. It is the exact same length as stock. It looks very similar to the stock one and is available in various resistance ranges. The bolt pattern is exactly the same. I needed to buy some 5mm X 25mm allen screws that are longer then stock. I also had to clearance the underside of my expansion tank slightly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) It does not have a provision for the low fuel light on the stock gauge.
So for those wondering... The sender was cheaper than a new 914/911 sending unit and has a warranty.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Looks great!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Where did you get the start button?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 6 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

[/quote]

Looks great!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Where did you get the start button?
[/quote]

Ebay... $15 My stupid ignition switch was broken and the DAPO had a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) switch in there before... I think this one looks cool and it's illuminated with the dash lights.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 6 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Uh Mike, I don't think that dash is stock buddy! he he (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
kconway
post Apr 6 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

Where's the speedometer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 7 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #6

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 6 2010, 10:30 PM) *

Where's the speedometer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I don't need one, I already know I'm going too fast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Apr 7 2010, 06:47 AM
Post #7

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

Nice and functional. Of course one can't help but notice...

that with the ignition in the off position, and that water cooled engine at 5500 rpm, you have no oil pressure or voltage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
stepuptotheMike
post Apr 7 2010, 06:48 AM
Post #8

medium pimpin

Member No.: 6,769
Region Association: South East States

That's really cool and good to know.

Mike
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 7 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #9

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 7 2010, 05:47 AM) *

Nice and functional. Of course one can't help but notice...

that with the ignition in the off position, and that water cooled engine at 5500 rpm, you have no oil pressure or voltage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

The Tach at 5500rpm is my shift light setting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) You set it by turning on the key and turning the dial. Turn the key off and it stayes there until the engine starts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:31 PM