Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After market gas gauge and sender replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
All of my gauges have been replaced with Autometer Sport Comp. I have been using a programmable gas gauge with the stock VDO sending unit. The other day it stopped working. I followed McMark's sender cleaning and inspection thread. I could not get it to work. Well, not only is my gauge programmable, it has settings for GM, Ford and Chrysler senders. Summit Racing sells an 11 inch tube type sending unit. It is the exact same length as stock. It looks very similar to the stock one and is available in various resistance ranges. The bolt pattern is exactly the same. I needed to buy some 5mm X 25mm allen screws that are longer then stock. I also had to clearance the underside of my expansion tank slightly. smash.gif It does not have a provision for the low fuel light on the stock gauge.
So for those wondering... The sender was cheaper than a new 914/911 sending unit and has a warranty.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
oz371
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 6 2010, 09:22 PM) *

All of my gauges have been replaced with Autometer Sport Comp. I have been using a programmable gas gauge with the stock VDO sending unit. The other day it stopped working. I followed McMark's sender cleaning and inspection thread. I could not get it to work. Well, not only is my gauge programmable, it has settings for GM, Ford and Chrysler senders. Summit Racing sells an 11 inch tube type sending unit. It is the exact same length as stock. It looks very similar to the stock one and is available in various resistance ranges. The bolt pattern is exactly the same. I needed to buy some 5mm X 25mm allen screws that are longer then stock. I also had to clearance the underside of my expansion tank slightly. smash.gif It does not have a provision for the low fuel light on the stock gauge.
So for those wondering... The sender was cheaper than a new 914/911 sending unit and has a warranty.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looks great!! aktion035.gif Where did you get the start button?
Mike Bellis
[/quote]

Looks great!! aktion035.gif Where did you get the start button?
[/quote]

Ebay... $15 My stupid ignition switch was broken and the DAPO had a stromberg.gif switch in there before... I think this one looks cool and it's illuminated with the dash lights.
EdwardBlume
Uh Mike, I don't think that dash is stock buddy! he he aktion035.gif
kconway
Where's the speedometer? confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 6 2010, 10:30 PM) *

Where's the speedometer? confused24.gif

I don't need one, I already know I'm going too fast! biggrin.gif
pcar916
Nice and functional. Of course one can't help but notice...

that with the ignition in the off position, and that water cooled engine at 5500 rpm, you have no oil pressure or voltage. av-943.gif

beer.gif
stepuptotheMike
That's really cool and good to know.

Mike
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 7 2010, 05:47 AM) *

Nice and functional. Of course one can't help but notice...

that with the ignition in the off position, and that water cooled engine at 5500 rpm, you have no oil pressure or voltage. av-943.gif

beer.gif

The Tach at 5500rpm is my shift light setting. poke.gif You set it by turning on the key and turning the dial. Turn the key off and it stayes there until the engine starts. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.