Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should I Upgrade to a Porsche 6 cyl engine?, Go from 1.7 to ??? 6 cyl??
EdArango
post Apr 9 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #1

914 Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,309
Region Association: Southern California

OK....I've been tossing around the idea of changing out my engine to a 6. What are your opinions out there. My main reason is not to make my car into a "race car" but just a nice solid performer with power. I also love the sound of the 6 cylinder engine.

How do I know if my car is worthy of such an upgrade? I understand that it's not cheap and that the car will never have the value of a 911, but I just like my car and like the weight balance of it being a mid-engine.

Gimme you thoughts!!!

Thanks!
ED
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/crest.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 9 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

I think it's a great idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

See the link in my signature for my build thread. 1.7L /4 to 3.6L /6 ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 9 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can really dump a lot of money into the conversion..... a lot.

If your 914 is a nice original 1.7 I'd say leave it alone. Go find a 914-6 someone has already converted. You'll be money ahead.

The conversion process is almost always a loosing money battle. Not to say it isn't worth it. The end product is very rewarding.

I've sort of changed my tune over the last year or so. 914's are just getting too hard to come by in decent somewhat original condition. Converting them to proper air cooled sixes just doesn't seem really worth it unless the 914-4 wasn't all that original to start with.

Just my opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Apr 9 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I've recently completed the 6 conversion in my 75. Went with a 3.0 with Weber carbs , headers and a 2 in 2 out muffler. Stock internals so I'm guessing 210-220 horsepower. The car flat out flys I can't imagine what a 3.6 will do. To do the conversion right it is $$$ but worth it in my opinion.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 9 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

There are probably a few threads in the archives that detail the costs and headaches.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 9 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 9 2010, 12:47 PM) *

You can really dump a lot of money into the conversion..... a lot.

If your 914 is a nice original 1.7 I'd say leave it alone. Go find a 914-6 someone has already converted. You'll be money ahead.

The conversion process is almost always a loosing money battle. Not to say it isn't worth it. The end product is very rewarding.

I've sort of changed my tune over the last year or so. 914's are just getting too hard to come by in decent somewhat original condition. Converting them to proper air cooled sixes just doesn't seem really worth it unless the 914-4 wasn't all that original to start with.

Just my opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I agree, it is a money pit. Do your homework, check out other conversions to get an idea of what you want in the end. You will never get your money back out of the car. Check out the classifieds, they are full of cars selling in the low 20's but have 40k - 60k into them. Especially when you can buy a Boxster that is already done for $10k. I started with a 2.7 six, but then it needed better brakes and rear flairs due to the throttle induced over steer. A 2.7 six wasn't powerful enough for me, so I upgraded to a 3.2. Now the 901 trans is not geared right for the motor and 1st gear is worthless and 5th revs to high.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 9 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #7

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(EdArango @ Apr 9 2010, 01:03 PM) *

OK....I've been tossing around the idea of changing out my engine to a 6. What are your opinions out there. My main reason is not to make my car into a "race car" but just a nice solid performer with power. I also love the sound of the 6 cylinder engine.

How do I know if my car is worthy of such an upgrade? I understand that it's not cheap and that the car will never have the value of a 911, but I just like my car and like the weight balance of it being a mid-engine.

Gimme you thoughts!!!

Thanks!
ED
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/crest.gif)

I say GO FOR IT!

Those of us with original factory 1.7's just love to see the numbers of original cars going south.

Go ahead, take the car from something of potential worth to a "custom". It will bleed money, but you'll be happy when it's done. Just don't expect to get that money back.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Apr 9 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #8

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

Buy mine
+Quote Post
wigh9
post Apr 9 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,574
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm just finishing up a 1.7 to 2.7 swap and it is a huge pain in the a$$. It's been a long, expensive process with a lot of little problems. Oh and did I mention its expensive. I'm at just under $7K right now and I've had a friend build a lot of stuff for almost no money. I think when I finally roll the car out next week it will all be worth it though.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 9 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #10

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

If you were my customer I would say - "Definitely, go for it!"
If you were my friend I would say - "My 1.7 is faster than yours! Lets go for a drive."
BTW, I was doing 90 on the highway in my 1.7L yesterday, and could have gone a lot faster.
A 90mph speeding ticket in a stock -4 is a lot less $$ than a speeding ticket in a big -6. $400 vs. $20,400. (no I didn't get a ticket yesterday)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Apr 9 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A six conversion should be done for the joy of the project, because YOU want to build
+Quote Post
jmill
post Apr 9 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #12

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 9 2010, 07:17 PM) *

Those of us with original factory 1.7's just love to see the numbers of original cars going south.

All the book club ladies want to hang with the CW 1.7 guys. Think of all the fun you can have cleaning up stray wax with Q-Tips and tooth picks. Sounds like a hoot.

+Quote Post
BigD9146gt
post Apr 9 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #13

OCD member

Member No.: 3,502
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 9 2010, 07:30 PM) *

All the book club ladies want to hang with the CW 1.7 guys. Think of all the fun you can have cleaning up stray wax with Q-Tips and tooth picks. Sounds like a hoot.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Nostalgia, if you've replaced even one rubber seal is your car still original?

I have had a blast building my -6. There have been lots of frustrating times, and many teeth-grinding moments wondering why I am spending so much. Its been a great learning experience, and the most important part is this is what I want.

There are certain 911 motors that will be cheaper in the long run to install than others. Its hard for me to suggest where to start without knowing what your budget is, but no matter what motor you go with, there are going to be the basic parts your going to have to purchase. The motor mount, oil tank, and oil lines. Even a tired 2.7 will give you some fun until it needs to be rebuilt. Personally, I think the 3.0 and up motors are a better starting point because of the alum. case. The later 2.7's run the risk of having the thermal reactors which baked them badly. Even a 2.2 or 2.4 carb'd mag engine will be tons of fun.

cheers, d
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 9 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #14

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

So, Ed. Are you totally stoked about the process of wrenching, fabricating, and otherwise grunting and dealing with the challenges (numerous) that come with doing this yourself?

If yes with a capital Y and backed by unstoppable enthusiasm, then go for it.

If any hesitation on that answer, then buy one. Buy one that has been through the headaches, is already done and sorted. Sell your 4. And know this is the CHEAPEST way to get the final results you were looking for.

Do you want the results, or the torturous head-bashing most expensive process? I admit I often lean towards the latter and thrive on it. Lots of us do. Point being, which way do you lean?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 10 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #15

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(BigD9146gt @ Apr 10 2010, 12:29 AM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 9 2010, 07:30 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Nostalgia, if you've replaced even one rubber seal is your car still original?

Pat even stated that he likes mikey914 parts...your car is junk Pat, it's not original anymore, may as well tow it off to the scrap yard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ellisor3
post Apr 10 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #16

HPWhore

Member No.: 9,683
Region Association: South East States

I am going through my third year of my project and I can assure you that whatever budget you set, you will be low. It starts with the engine, if you do not know the history, rebuild it before you put it in. Then look at the suspension, transmission and brakes, shift linkage, all need to be upgraded. Then you decide if you are using EFI or carbs, add oil cooling ect. Plus it does not make sense to put a monster engine in a rusty car, it wil tear it apart.

I agree with the other posters, if you really will enjoy the process and have the $$, it can be very rewarding to know you got what you really wanted. If you want it drivable SOON and with the least cost, a 6 is not the option. I am almost at the finish line with mine but I would have NEVER thought it would take as much time and $$$ as it has. It will be wonderful when finished, but the process takes a lot of dedication and a forgiving wife.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 10 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #17

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

All the book club ladies want to hang with the CW 1.7 guys.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Conversion guys get all of the naughty girls. Naughty is nice.

Sell your car. Buy Greg's car. It will be the most economical decision you could make along that path.
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Apr 10 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,071
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Started 15 years ago with a 1.7, then 2.0, then 2.0 Six, now 3.2 and I will NEVER go back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just do it.

D
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Apr 10 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #19

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

horsepower is addictive.

control your urges!!! or open your wallet!!!

jim

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 11 2010, 05:13 AM
Post #20

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

HP is great and all that but if you've ever had a ride in a 914 with a fresh 2056 and a decent cam you might change your mind. The car I'm thinking of could scratch it's sticky tires in 1st gear. The difference between this car and my original 36 year old 2L engine was astonishing. Even a mild aftermarket cam that is still compatible with d-jet will make like 30 foot pounds for torque more than stock. Maybe more.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 11:06 PM