Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel pump noise
WoodOne337
post Apr 10 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,184

Hello all,

I believe that my fuel pump is starting to make more noise. Either that or the car is getting quieter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It has been relocated to the front by the PO and it is a new pump. It is not a strange noise for the pump, just more noticeable. Could it be that the fuel filter is clogged? If so what size is the inlet and outlet on the filter? I have included a photo to show the set-up.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i432.photobucket.com-8184-1270925720.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 10 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(WoodOne337 @ Apr 10 2010, 11:54 AM) *

Hello all,

I believe that my fuel pump is starting to make more noise. Either that or the car is getting quieter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It has been relocated to the front by the PO and it is a new pump. It is not a strange noise for the pump, just more noticeable. Could it be that the fuel filter is clogged? If so what size is the inlet and outlet on the filter? I have included a photo to show the set-up.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i432.photobucket.com-8184-1270925720.1.jpg)

Unless your tank is really dirty or rusty, there's no reason for the filter to be plugged. I see no rubber isolators between the pump bracket and the body. Maybe I just can't see them because of the angle, but if they're not there the pump noise will be really obvious. The filter inlet and outlet are both 8mm. I recomment an all-metal BMW 2003Tii filter. It's gonna be cheaper and more resistant to damage and more likely to be free of manufacturing defects

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 10 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

The answer to your question is yes. A kinked fuel line will also cause it to be noisy. Either one will cause a poor flow making the pump noisy.

I also agree with Cap'n. It takes dirt or rust to clog a filter, but with the poor quality of some of todays fuel, dirt is enevitable. Thats what the filters for right? Still, it certainly can't hurt to check it. Insulators is what I also thought when you said "relocated"

I
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
WoodOne337
post Apr 10 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2010, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(WoodOne337 @ Apr 10 2010, 11:54 AM) *

Hello all,

Unless your tank is really dirty or rusty, there's no reason for the filter to be plugged. I see no rubber isolators between the pump bracket and the body. Maybe I just can't see them because of the angle, but if they're not there the pump noise will be really obvious. The filter inlet and outlet are both 8mm. I recomment an all-metal BMW 2003Tii filter. It's gonna be cheaper and more resistant to damage and more likely to be free of manufacturing defects

The Cap'n

The isolators are in place. Did you mean BWM 2002 Tii? Do you have a part# or picture of the BMW filter?

Thanks, Scott
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 10 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Yes. 2002Tii. Fumble fingers, here. 13 32 1 256 492. Bosch number 71 015. Something like 2x6 inches, overall. Looking now I can see the isolator(s). Does any part of the pump, including the electrical plug, touch the chassis while it's running?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
WoodOne337
post Apr 10 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2010, 04:30 PM) *

Yes. 2002Tii. Fumble fingers, here. 13 32 1 256 492. Bosch number 71 015. Something like 2x6 inches, overall. Looking now I can see the isolator(s). Does any part of the pump, including the electrical plug, touch the chassis while it's running?

The Cap'n

Nothing touches,going to look for that filter
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 10 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Don't forget to peek inside the gas tank to see if the sock screen is clear. Sometime that can clog and cause issues too.
+Quote Post
realred914
post Apr 10 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

tip. use the modern lined gas hose rather than teh old style german stuff. the new fuels do attack many rubber parts susch as the old styl;e hoses. the new hoses are now rated SAE 30R9 and have a teflon like inner liner that is resistant tot eh new oxygenated fuels.

when you switch to the resistant hose, you cant use the style of hose clamps yo have now, you must use the solid band type (you can use the band with holes so long as youhave a cloth wrap hose).

at anyrate the new fuels will eat up the old hoses much faster than originally, so keep an eye on it until you upgrade.

not some rebuilts pumps are very nosiey, I have one that has been that way for years, still works, just got used to it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 09:19 AM