Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WoodOne337
Hello all,

I believe that my fuel pump is starting to make more noise. Either that or the car is getting quieter. biggrin.gif It has been relocated to the front by the PO and it is a new pump. It is not a strange noise for the pump, just more noticeable. Could it be that the fuel filter is clogged? If so what size is the inlet and outlet on the filter? I have included a photo to show the set-up.

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(WoodOne337 @ Apr 10 2010, 11:54 AM) *

Hello all,

I believe that my fuel pump is starting to make more noise. Either that or the car is getting quieter. biggrin.gif It has been relocated to the front by the PO and it is a new pump. It is not a strange noise for the pump, just more noticeable. Could it be that the fuel filter is clogged? If so what size is the inlet and outlet on the filter? I have included a photo to show the set-up.

IPB Image

Unless your tank is really dirty or rusty, there's no reason for the filter to be plugged. I see no rubber isolators between the pump bracket and the body. Maybe I just can't see them because of the angle, but if they're not there the pump noise will be really obvious. The filter inlet and outlet are both 8mm. I recomment an all-metal BMW 2003Tii filter. It's gonna be cheaper and more resistant to damage and more likely to be free of manufacturing defects

The Cap'n
TheCabinetmaker
The answer to your question is yes. A kinked fuel line will also cause it to be noisy. Either one will cause a poor flow making the pump noisy.

I also agree with Cap'n. It takes dirt or rust to clog a filter, but with the poor quality of some of todays fuel, dirt is enevitable. Thats what the filters for right? Still, it certainly can't hurt to check it. Insulators is what I also thought when you said "relocated"

I
WoodOne337
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2010, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(WoodOne337 @ Apr 10 2010, 11:54 AM) *

Hello all,

IPB Image

Unless your tank is really dirty or rusty, there's no reason for the filter to be plugged. I see no rubber isolators between the pump bracket and the body. Maybe I just can't see them because of the angle, but if they're not there the pump noise will be really obvious. The filter inlet and outlet are both 8mm. I recomment an all-metal BMW 2003Tii filter. It's gonna be cheaper and more resistant to damage and more likely to be free of manufacturing defects

The Cap'n

The isolators are in place. Did you mean BWM 2002 Tii? Do you have a part# or picture of the BMW filter?

Thanks, Scott
Cap'n Krusty
Yes. 2002Tii. Fumble fingers, here. 13 32 1 256 492. Bosch number 71 015. Something like 2x6 inches, overall. Looking now I can see the isolator(s). Does any part of the pump, including the electrical plug, touch the chassis while it's running?

The Cap'n
WoodOne337
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2010, 04:30 PM) *

Yes. 2002Tii. Fumble fingers, here. 13 32 1 256 492. Bosch number 71 015. Something like 2x6 inches, overall. Looking now I can see the isolator(s). Does any part of the pump, including the electrical plug, touch the chassis while it's running?

The Cap'n

Nothing touches,going to look for that filter
tod914
Don't forget to peek inside the gas tank to see if the sock screen is clear. Sometime that can clog and cause issues too.
realred914
tip. use the modern lined gas hose rather than teh old style german stuff. the new fuels do attack many rubber parts susch as the old styl;e hoses. the new hoses are now rated SAE 30R9 and have a teflon like inner liner that is resistant tot eh new oxygenated fuels.

when you switch to the resistant hose, you cant use the style of hose clamps yo have now, you must use the solid band type (you can use the band with holes so long as youhave a cloth wrap hose).

at anyrate the new fuels will eat up the old hoses much faster than originally, so keep an eye on it until you upgrade.

not some rebuilts pumps are very nosiey, I have one that has been that way for years, still works, just got used to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.