Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poll Should I take my car a different direction?, And go back to stock fenders??
Keep the Slope noes or back to stock fenders???
her are the options
It is alrady done keep it as is [ 41 ] ** [51.90%]
Cut them the hell off [ 21 ] ** [26.58%]
Get the fenders to keep and sell with car if they want to go back [ 8 ] ** [10.13%]
I like metal slope nose cars [ 9 ] ** [11.39%]
Total Votes: 79
Guests cannot vote 
wayne1234
post Apr 11 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,238
Region Association: None

Well as I have posted on here, I have lost direction on the 914, after all the rust repair and engine repair, it is back together, painted, and needs about a days worth of finishing. it runs and drives now and I took it out yesterday for a short trip, I dont know if it everybody "bugging" me about the slope nose or if I am envisioning it different, But every ti e someone says something about it I kinda think why bother going any further... When I purchased the car it had the slope nose already on it. I liked the way it looked, I ended up having to completly redo the nose and it is all metal. if you read my build thread you know the amount of work I have put into this car... It has been suggested to get rid of it and get a more origional one.. I think since I know the progress this car has been through Worst case seniro I would cut off my fenders and weld in some stock ones although I think I would remaove the side marker light and repaint the fenders. I have found some good fenders locally. 2 hours away. for a decent price. Should I get htem so if I do end up selling them they can go with the car un installed... or get them and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) them back on. and repaint.. or should I just be happy with what I have and move on and not give a crap less what others say about the nose... on a side note condition being even and in repaired running state like my car what is the $$ hit to having a slope nose.

Here is how she is right now..

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Apr 11 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey I get to be the first to respond. Leave the fenders alone. Its part of the history of the car now and it should be embraced ( I think that's how you spell it). I thought about cutting my fenders down for a long time, but I could make such a bold move.
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Apr 11 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #3

Just for reference here are some build pictures, of me redoing the fenders

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tyreguy25
post Apr 11 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,586

That slope nose is very attractive with the lines of the 914. Leave it as is.
+Quote Post
messix
post Apr 11 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #5

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

while a slope nose is not to every ones taste it appears that you have done an exceptional job and that would make this a very high quality alteration to the car. if you like it keep it, don't change it because of comments that others have made.
just drive it! thats is the best part of these cars, is just driving them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Apr 11 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #6

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

You have put a lot of work and sweat into the car and I am sure each time you look at it you are proud of your work. If you like the way it looks tell others to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif) and don't give a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) what they say. Happy with your car makes the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) experience that much better! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Shoe
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Apr 11 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #7

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

I like it; you did a good job.

At least you didn't put side molding on it.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 11 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Question 1: Do YOU like it?

If yes, then to hell with everyone else and enjoy the car!!

Question 2: Do you want to do all of the work to put it back to stock?

If no, then leave it as-is and enjoy the car.

Question 3: Would you rather drive the car or do bodywork?

If the answer is "drive the car", then go out there, put the key in the ignition, and HAVE FUN DRIVING THE MOTHER!

Only go back to stock if you don't like the current setup any more, if you want to do all of the work to put it back to stock, and if you would rather do the work than drive it.

--DD

PS--DRIVE THAT MOTHER! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Apr 11 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #9

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

I like the slant nose look. I did the same to one of my 914s years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Apr 11 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #10

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032

I agree with the others... if you like it, keep it. It looks like a very well done conversion.

I do have a question, though... I don't see any turn signals on your car...
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 11 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #11

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

The turn signal issue is a good one. As far as the slope nose, it definitely looks as if you did a first rate job. If you like the look that is all that matters. I was quite impressed with your metal working skills BTW. Do what it is that makes you happy every time you look at the car.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 11 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 11 2010, 09:51 AM) *

If the answer is "drive the car", then go out there, put the key in the ignition, and HAVE FUN DRIVING THE MOTHER!

Only go back to stock if you don't like the current setup any more, if you want to do all of the work to put it back to stock, and if you would rather do the work than drive it.

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 11 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #13

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 11 2010, 09:51 AM) *

--DD

Wayne - Tom (bra buyer) - as Dave said, keep it this way if it's what you like & want to drive. At least have some fun with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) , then when you put it away for those snowing IN winters, you can always dicide to do a future cut-n-clip of OE style fendrs if your (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) & (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) hand is getting itchy for a winter project! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Also, the fenders on your gold parts car may be in good enough condition for you or a future buyer to put on in the future as a full fender clip (don't know their condition though, since you said it has a lot of rust).

Besides - I'm expecting a ride in it this August when I go back to visit my family, not a look at it on stands again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
zx-niner
post Apr 11 2010, 01:59 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,269
Region Association: Central California

It's funny, there was a time when I loved the slant nose look. And there was a day I loved the Chalon look. And the GT look. And the bell-bottomed jeans with white belt and polyester shirt look. Tastes change. If it is what you like, keep it and be proud of the modifications that reflect your style. I know I'm making modifications to my 914 that would make others shudder. But it's my car and it reflects my tastes. In 5 years I'll wonder what I was thinking.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 11 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Do what makes you happy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 11 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Leave it alone till something shows up in the repair you don't like and then decide what you want to do next. In the meantime you might want to get some perfect fenders and keep them till you sell it or change it so you will know what you have to work with in case you decide to change it.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Apr 11 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #17

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

I like it. I'd get rid of the bumper tits, but I think the fenders look good. Really good even.
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Apr 11 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,815

you put a lot of work into it and it looks good; I like the slope nose. If it was mine and I was to do anything I would paint the rockers and valances black to break up the mono-chromatic look.
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Apr 11 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #19

Member of the Eastcoast Thread Killers Club

Member No.: 14

If it was "my" car.The only thing I would do is to take off the bumper tits and paint the bumpers body color. You did a hell of a job fixing the previous guys work. Keep it and be proud of it. If you get itchy for more wrenching,then get another car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Apr 11 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #20

Thanks for the input, I have my turn signals and driving lights in my fog light lens, no the fog light dont work. I just got back from picking up the fenders, they have the entire wheel house, and are in very good shape not perfect but I didnt expect perfect, they were ridiculously cheap, unfortunate thing was they were 2 hours away, but we made a mini trip of it... now that I have them I can decide what to do, I think you guys are right I'm going to finish it up and drive it for at least this summer. then decide in the winter if its something I want to do then. I had though about selling it but I know there is no way to get anything near what I should in this economy.. I can drive it and if I decide to sell probably get more in a year or 2 or 10... I didnt need the money, just was kinda stuck in my vision... Somehow talking to that guy today and getting those dirty fenders loaded up I have some new inspiration (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) i'm going to order some stuff to get her finished for the most part, hopefully the new seals will take car of most of the drips... After spending hours getting the door triangle lined up and sealed ( I thought) Seeing water drip inside was a huge disappointment, and was a major source of my "what the hell am I doing messing with this car" but I am getting a little excited to get her finished...

Here is my driving light solution

Attached Image

Brighter turn signal

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 11:35 AM