Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll Should I take my car a different direction?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
Well as I have posted on here, I have lost direction on the 914, after all the rust repair and engine repair, it is back together, painted, and needs about a days worth of finishing. it runs and drives now and I took it out yesterday for a short trip, I dont know if it everybody "bugging" me about the slope nose or if I am envisioning it different, But every ti e someone says something about it I kinda think why bother going any further... When I purchased the car it had the slope nose already on it. I liked the way it looked, I ended up having to completly redo the nose and it is all metal. if you read my build thread you know the amount of work I have put into this car... It has been suggested to get rid of it and get a more origional one.. I think since I know the progress this car has been through Worst case seniro I would cut off my fenders and weld in some stock ones although I think I would remaove the side marker light and repaint the fenders. I have found some good fenders locally. 2 hours away. for a decent price. Should I get htem so if I do end up selling them they can go with the car un installed... or get them and welder.gif them back on. and repaint.. or should I just be happy with what I have and move on and not give a crap less what others say about the nose... on a side note condition being even and in repaired running state like my car what is the $$ hit to having a slope nose.

Here is how she is right now..

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Hey I get to be the first to respond. Leave the fenders alone. Its part of the history of the car now and it should be embraced ( I think that's how you spell it). I thought about cutting my fenders down for a long time, but I could make such a bold move.
wayne1234
Just for reference here are some build pictures, of me redoing the fenders

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tyreguy25
That slope nose is very attractive with the lines of the 914. Leave it as is.
messix
while a slope nose is not to every ones taste it appears that you have done an exceptional job and that would make this a very high quality alteration to the car. if you like it keep it, don't change it because of comments that others have made.
just drive it! thats is the best part of these cars, is just driving them! driving.gif
hot_shoe914
You have put a lot of work and sweat into the car and I am sure each time you look at it you are proud of your work. If you like the way it looks tell others to KMA.gif and don't give a stromberg.gif what they say. Happy with your car makes the driving.gif experience that much better! aktion035.gif

Shoe
RJMII
I like it; you did a good job.

At least you didn't put side molding on it.
Dave_Darling
Question 1: Do YOU like it?

If yes, then to hell with everyone else and enjoy the car!!

Question 2: Do you want to do all of the work to put it back to stock?

If no, then leave it as-is and enjoy the car.

Question 3: Would you rather drive the car or do bodywork?

If the answer is "drive the car", then go out there, put the key in the ignition, and HAVE FUN DRIVING THE MOTHER!

Only go back to stock if you don't like the current setup any more, if you want to do all of the work to put it back to stock, and if you would rather do the work than drive it.

--DD

PS--DRIVE THAT MOTHER! biggrin.gif
poorsche914
I like the slant nose look. I did the same to one of my 914s years ago. driving.gif
Todd Enlund
I agree with the others... if you like it, keep it. It looks like a very well done conversion.

I do have a question, though... I don't see any turn signals on your car...
Cairo94507
The turn signal issue is a good one. As far as the slope nose, it definitely looks as if you did a first rate job. If you like the look that is all that matters. I was quite impressed with your metal working skills BTW. Do what it is that makes you happy every time you look at the car.
JRust
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 11 2010, 09:51 AM) *

If the answer is "drive the car", then go out there, put the key in the ignition, and HAVE FUN DRIVING THE MOTHER!

Only go back to stock if you don't like the current setup any more, if you want to do all of the work to put it back to stock, and if you would rather do the work than drive it.

--DD

agree.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 11 2010, 09:51 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif

Wayne - Tom (bra buyer) - as Dave said, keep it this way if it's what you like & want to drive. At least have some fun with it driving.gif , then when you put it away for those snowing IN winters, you can always dicide to do a future cut-n-clip of OE style fendrs if your sawzall-smiley.gif & welder.gif hand is getting itchy for a winter project! biggrin.gif

Also, the fenders on your gold parts car may be in good enough condition for you or a future buyer to put on in the future as a full fender clip (don't know their condition though, since you said it has a lot of rust).

Besides - I'm expecting a ride in it this August when I go back to visit my family, not a look at it on stands again! laugh.gif
zx-niner
It's funny, there was a time when I loved the slant nose look. And there was a day I loved the Chalon look. And the GT look. And the bell-bottomed jeans with white belt and polyester shirt look. Tastes change. If it is what you like, keep it and be proud of the modifications that reflect your style. I know I'm making modifications to my 914 that would make others shudder. But it's my car and it reflects my tastes. In 5 years I'll wonder what I was thinking.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Do what makes you happy... beer.gif
charliew
Leave it alone till something shows up in the repair you don't like and then decide what you want to do next. In the meantime you might want to get some perfect fenders and keep them till you sell it or change it so you will know what you have to work with in case you decide to change it.
DBCooper
I like it. I'd get rid of the bumper tits, but I think the fenders look good. Really good even.
tradisrad
you put a lot of work into it and it looks good; I like the slope nose. If it was mine and I was to do anything I would paint the rockers and valances black to break up the mono-chromatic look.
nomore9one4
If it was "my" car.The only thing I would do is to take off the bumper tits and paint the bumpers body color. You did a hell of a job fixing the previous guys work. Keep it and be proud of it. If you get itchy for more wrenching,then get another car. smile.gif
wayne1234
Thanks for the input, I have my turn signals and driving lights in my fog light lens, no the fog light dont work. I just got back from picking up the fenders, they have the entire wheel house, and are in very good shape not perfect but I didnt expect perfect, they were ridiculously cheap, unfortunate thing was they were 2 hours away, but we made a mini trip of it... now that I have them I can decide what to do, I think you guys are right I'm going to finish it up and drive it for at least this summer. then decide in the winter if its something I want to do then. I had though about selling it but I know there is no way to get anything near what I should in this economy.. I can drive it and if I decide to sell probably get more in a year or 2 or 10... I didnt need the money, just was kinda stuck in my vision... Somehow talking to that guy today and getting those dirty fenders loaded up I have some new inspiration aktion035.gif i'm going to order some stuff to get her finished for the most part, hopefully the new seals will take car of most of the drips... After spending hours getting the door triangle lined up and sealed ( I thought) Seeing water drip inside was a huge disappointment, and was a major source of my "what the hell am I doing messing with this car" but I am getting a little excited to get her finished...

Here is my driving light solution

Click to view attachment

Brighter turn signal

Click to view attachment
pcar916
I'm with DD. Drive the heck out of it if you're bent that way.

Engineers face this issue all the time. "When do I stop engineering/fabrication and finish the thing"? In the business world bean-counters and project managers help one make those decisions.

For some folks a perpetual fabrication project is important to keep sane, or out of the bars. In that case I'd build another car (or telescope, or other some other gizmo) because I'm stuck on drivin' my 914 it like I own it. These days it takes a monster mod to get me to take things apart.

If a mod will make it safer, handle better, or makes for a positive ergonomic change, that puts a project on my radar. Otherwise.

The asphalt beckons... it's doing right now. I'll be back in a few hours!!!

Good luck.
tat2dphreak
dave nailed it... who cares what others think, if You like it, drive that bitch smile.gif

I have worked on my car for 6+ years, finally last year I said screw it, if it's not perfect, I don't care, I just want to drive it. and it's really paying off in the smile dept. smile.gif

just my .02 if you wanted to go back to stock fenders, I'd pick up another car. someone will want the slant nose which you did perfectly... and you can pick up a replacement with stock fenders.
JmuRiz
I think it's kind of cool...then again we all like oddballs like the 914 in the first place!

I'd maybe remove the bumper tits, but that's it. Looks cool.
wayne1234
the chrome isnt the best under the tits, thats why I put them back on.. believe me I tried polishing the bumper for a while... If I take a good picture can a photo shop savy person work their magic on the black rockers and also yellow rockers withthe positive or negative stripe on the rockers, or maybe the stripe in the right place with yellow rockers? anybody game
VaccaRabite
Keep it as is. If you want to go back, I'd sell the car and buy a stock one. But right now, I'd keep it as it is, and drive.

Joe Bob
Leave it....you can always change it later. I would source some replacement parts now and save them.

I can't count the stuff I tossed, that is worth big $$ now days, when they used to be toss away cars.
scotty b
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 11 2010, 02:43 PM) *

I like it. I'd get rid of the bumper tits, but I think the fenders look good. Really good even.

agree.gif Perform a radical mastectomy, and leave the rest alone beerchug.gif
rebelmdot
agree.gif with the sentiment here. It is your soap your water, you can wash it as fast as you want to and to hell with others. I would add, that I do not think they were picking on the slant nose at you in the last thread, I think that was an "if you are going to sell it, you might get more $$$ without slant". Anyway, I for one, hope you keep the car and enjoy driving it for years to come.
Drums66
What's wrong with it now?......do what you like!

later!
underthetire
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Apr 11 2010, 04:00 PM) *

you put a lot of work into it and it looks good; I like the slope nose. If it was mine and I was to do anything I would paint the rockers and valances black to break up the mono-chromatic look.

agree.gif

I understand the whole bumper issues under the tits, but the slopenose looks good without them. Drive it and enjoy the way it is. If you short stop someday under a SUV then put the stock ones on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.