Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is this a good looking undercarriage?, Opinions please!!
rwilner
post Apr 12 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #1

No Ghosts in the Machine

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

I'm considering buying this car. It leaks a few drops of oil when it sits overnight, the heat has been removed but he has all the parts -- i'll put it back on.

Scroll down for all pics.

Please opine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 42)
rwilner
post Apr 13 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #41

No Ghosts in the Machine

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Apr 13 2010, 11:48 AM) *

For $5k, too much. It is clean. It looks to have all the underlying problems common to these rides. Try to divorce yourself from that street view picture, which does look nice. But this will be a project car that you will be working on more than you drive in its first few years. Its going to be one project after the other, and soon you realize you spend a few grand, countless hours, and frustration, you should have waited for a cleaner ride that someone else has done the work. If the body and interior is good, this in my mind, is good, but useless if the motor tranny is not running right. The only saving grace is that it will be a garage queen that you can proudly say is yours to your family and friends. and in a few years, you can say to them, I got it running smoothly and its no longer leaking oil, thats after a new engine and a rebuilt tranny and countless other projects. Sorry I am a realist guys.

If you are looking for one that you buy, and just do tune ups and change oil, this is not the one. There are cleaner ones out there that you might want to budget for. Just like in Excellence, buy the best one you can afford..... I consider this one to be a medium term project would be on jackstands in the garage, I would be dropping the motor to repair the point of the oil leak and freshen the tranny syncros. This car would not see daylight for at least 1 year.

Dan,
I am curious -- why do you say tranny synchros?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 13 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #42

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 13 2010, 09:29 AM) *

Dan,

Because he knows that unless the transmission was recently rebuild, the syncros will most likely be in pretty bad shape.

You are looking at a 35+ year old car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Apr 13 2010, 12:33 PM
Post #43

No Ghosts in the Machine

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 13 2010, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 13 2010, 09:29 AM) *

Dan,

Because he knows that unless the transmission was recently rebuild, the syncros will most likely be in pretty bad shape.

You are looking at a 35+ year old car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) makes sense!!

seller claims tranny was rebuilt 5k miles ago around 2002 including all bushings. Of course no idea what "rebuilt" means but he autox'd it so it had to shift well for him to do that, right?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:29 AM