Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where To Get Patch Panels?
andrewvolsen
post Apr 12 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,099
Region Association: Central California

Hey everybody,
I am currently taking an auto body class at my local CC. From now until mid may in this class we have about 6 hours per week of personal project time. I am hoping to repair some rust damage in the body panels of my dad's 914. I have not found any structural rust yet, just cosmetic rust. Anyways, I am wondering where I should go to get patch panels for this. Is there a wrecking yard on the central coast of CA that would have this stuff, or should I mail order it from somewhere? All input is much appreciated.
Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 12 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Maybe some of the guys will donate a parts car or pieces for your rustoration.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 12 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Does the Cap'n have parts cars?

Check out Restoration Design.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 12 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

First - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Second - GEEEZ, I can't even drag my son away from his e-games to help on my 914, let alone take on the work himself! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ..... Good for you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Restoration Design as noted above, GPR in Los Osos & Stuttgart (??) in SLO all have 914 parts - some of which may fill your parts needs.

Also check out the member vendors, FS parts & cars/rollers classifieds forums on here.

When you know what you need, post pix in the Garage & Classifieds as wanted, & some local folks will chime in I'm sure.

Off here there is also TheSamba.com, Pelican's forums & ClubNARP.com with classifieds FS. 914Club.com may also resurface soon under dr914's/AutoAtlanta's new "ownership" - but there's probably more here IMHO.

Good Luck & have fun with your Dad his 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Apr 12 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #5

914less :(

Member No.: 180

Considering where you live, stop in and see us. We've moved from SLO to Santa Maria, but it's a short drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
1968Cayman
post Apr 12 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #6

Redacted by Irving Washington

Member No.: 11,332
Region Association: South East States

What type of body class is it? A metal working (forming) class or just some sort of I-CAR collision repair course? If it's a metal working course, you can find the material you need from a local sheetmetal supplier (or fabricator). If it's a course for those going into collision repair, order it from one of the places already listed.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 12 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246

I don't have any parts cars, but GPR might have some used panels, and they're just a few blocks from me. If it's just plain sheet metal of the correct gauge, I have some front and rear hoods.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
andrewvolsen
post Apr 13 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,099

What gauge steel should I be using for making patches? I have decided to start with the rust holes in the front trunk weatherstripping channel because this is the least conspicuous spot I need to work on. I figure this will give me a chance to get my skills honed in a bit before I move on to visibe repairs. My instructor told me to just cut pieces out of scrap body panels we have laying around to make the patches. What should I do to seal up my repairs after I make them, to insure that they don't start to rust again?

Andrew
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Apr 13 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

Andrew,
I am new to this game too, but what I've read is you use 18 ga for replacement of the longs and 19-20 ga for firewall and floor pans. As far as stoping the rust, I've seen alot of good responses from either por-15 and Eastwood's products - rust encapsulator and rust converter.

Correct me if anyone knows different.

Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Apr 13 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

Hello Andrew,

Restoration Design can provide you with very good quality panels and we also have very good shipping rates as well.

Good luck with your endeavours

Pete
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 08:08 AM