Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where To Get Patch Panels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewvolsen
Hey everybody,
I am currently taking an auto body class at my local CC. From now until mid may in this class we have about 6 hours per week of personal project time. I am hoping to repair some rust damage in the body panels of my dad's 914. I have not found any structural rust yet, just cosmetic rust. Anyways, I am wondering where I should go to get patch panels for this. Is there a wrecking yard on the central coast of CA that would have this stuff, or should I mail order it from somewhere? All input is much appreciated.
Andrew
914Sixer
Maybe some of the guys will donate a parts car or pieces for your rustoration.
McMark
Does the Cap'n have parts cars?

Check out Restoration Design.
Tom_T
First - welcome.png

Second - GEEEZ, I can't even drag my son away from his e-games to help on my 914, let alone take on the work himself! dry.gif ..... Good for you! thumb3d.gif

Restoration Design as noted above, GPR in Los Osos & Stuttgart (??) in SLO all have 914 parts - some of which may fill your parts needs.

Also check out the member vendors, FS parts & cars/rollers classifieds forums on here.

When you know what you need, post pix in the Garage & Classifieds as wanted, & some local folks will chime in I'm sure.

Off here there is also TheSamba.com, Pelican's forums & ClubNARP.com with classifieds FS. 914Club.com may also resurface soon under dr914's/AutoAtlanta's new "ownership" - but there's probably more here IMHO.

Good Luck & have fun with your Dad his 914! biggrin.gif
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif stirthepot.gif driving.gif
markb
Considering where you live, stop in and see us. We've moved from SLO to Santa Maria, but it's a short drive. smile.gif

welcome.png
1968Cayman
What type of body class is it? A metal working (forming) class or just some sort of I-CAR collision repair course? If it's a metal working course, you can find the material you need from a local sheetmetal supplier (or fabricator). If it's a course for those going into collision repair, order it from one of the places already listed.
Cap'n Krusty
I don't have any parts cars, but GPR might have some used panels, and they're just a few blocks from me. If it's just plain sheet metal of the correct gauge, I have some front and rear hoods.

The Cap'n
andrewvolsen
What gauge steel should I be using for making patches? I have decided to start with the rust holes in the front trunk weatherstripping channel because this is the least conspicuous spot I need to work on. I figure this will give me a chance to get my skills honed in a bit before I move on to visibe repairs. My instructor told me to just cut pieces out of scrap body panels we have laying around to make the patches. What should I do to seal up my repairs after I make them, to insure that they don't start to rust again?

Andrew
arkitect
Andrew,
I am new to this game too, but what I've read is you use 18 ga for replacement of the longs and 19-20 ga for firewall and floor pans. As far as stoping the rust, I've seen alot of good responses from either por-15 and Eastwood's products - rust encapsulator and rust converter.

Correct me if anyone knows different.

Dave welder.gif
peteyd
Hello Andrew,

Restoration Design can provide you with very good quality panels and we also have very good shipping rates as well.

Good luck with your endeavours

Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.