Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Short shift kit, opinions wanted
JWest
post Apr 27 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 27 2010, 11:08 AM) *

I know the throws on the rennshift are shorter but is the shaft shorter too? I'm 6'5" and am tired of shifting under my knee.

We have two versions - one is the same knob height as stock and extended that raises the knob height 2 inches.

Typical short shifters reduce the throws too much - the force required to shift is so great (from the reduced leverage of a short throw), that the driver must slam the shifter for gear to gear just to get it to move. This precludes any waiting on the synchro to speed up the free gear and wears the transmission.

The resolution is also too little from gear to gear, so it is difficult to pause at the synchro band contact point.

The RennShift is a max reduction of 30% and is delivered at 20%, which still allows proper shifting.

The Weltmeister - extended below and shortened above the pivot - is more like 45 to 50% reduction (too much)!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom
post Apr 27 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

I went with the extra expense of the Remm shift because in the previous 914's I had owned it was way too easy to find your gear selection off due to the design or wear. I lost count of the mis-shifts from first to second ( not speed shifting). Would grind as if going into reverse or go into fourth. Since my install and bushing replacement, no ( read that zero) mis-shifts. What a pleasure. Just not having the mis-shifts is worth it, but think of all the wear and tear on the trans I'm saving.
On top of all that, the shifter hidden under that 911SC boot looks kind of cool too.
Tom
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Apr 27 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,809

I'm having a heck of a time trying to adjust my shift linkage can anyone tell from these pictures what type of kit is in my car?

Jsaum

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 27 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #24

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like a weltmeister.

Do a search on shift linkage adjustment.. Should be fairly easy. I put the trani in 3rd or 4th, put the shifter female on the shaft in a position that puts the shifter at the middle then move the shifter to be in a proper position for 3rd or 4th. tighen up and check all gears, Adjust as necessary.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 27 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #25

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Weltmeister.
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Apr 27 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,809

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Jsaum
+Quote Post
zx-niner
post Apr 27 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4,269
Region Association: Central California

I installed a Weltmeister short shifter on my old 914 and would have transfered it to my newest one except the spacer raised things too high for my Amco center console. I was pleased with the short shift function and never had any shifting issues with the used transmission it was on. I shifted deliberately as I did and do with stock linkage. It was, afterall, a short shifter, not a speed shifter.

It does require increased shifting input force but, physics being what it is, this did not translate to more force carrying through to the transmission itself. If it takes 20# of force to move a slider out of gear or into gear, it will move at 20# reguardless of the force applied to the gear shift knob. The length of the fulcrum on each side of the shift rod pivot determines the ratio of the input force required to get our theoretical 20# force to move sliders in the gear box.

That being said, I mostly liked that the short shift setup allowed me to adjust the shift pattern to avoid interference with my right knee and still be able to reach 4th gear easily.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Apr 28 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #28

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

The Rennshifter costs a lot, but is sooooo nice
I have mine at 33% reduction, then added about 5 inches of extension so the shoft knob is up to about 4 o'clock position on my small steering wheel.
Thanks for reminding me to take is slow on my synchros when not AX racin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If needed, I am sure I could sell my slightly used Rennshift for $350-450, then swap the OEM one back on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 03:07 AM