Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Day, New Problem, Rotor attachment
Spoke
post Apr 28 2010, 08:21 AM
Post #21

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 27 2010, 11:09 PM) *

It looks to me like that at braking there's a heck of alot of shear load imparted into those two 6mm fasteners.

The flat head screws just hold the rotor in place while the wheel is off. I've been running my 914 w/o these screws for several years now. I adjust the venting clearance with the wheel attached. Spin the wheel and adjust until no binding is observed.

On my Audi's there are no little screws and the rotors are free to rotate when the wheel and lugs are removed. Makes putting everything back on quite interesting when the rotor spins a bit and the rotor holes do not line up with the lug threads.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Apr 28 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 28 2010, 05:21 AM) *

Kevin, the only thing you'll need to check is if their lathe can handle something that wide. It is 4mm off the diameter, or 2mm off the radius. Some lathes are small and don't handle that.

When calling, make it sound like the really simple job it is.

Bryan, as mentioned before the thickness has never been a problem. That drag should go away in a few miles. I'd rather have that there than reduce the overall life of the rotor. If it concerns you them have them turned to the 914 size but if it were me, I'd drive it around the neighborhood and recheck.

Thanks Eric. I have a correction to make. The Pelican article states the 914-6 disks are 15mm thick. However, I measured one of my new Sebro 914-6 disks tonight at just 10.5mm. Hence, like you said, the thickness should not be an issue.

- Bryan
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 28 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #23

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Makes sense... 15mm is only 5mm off a vented rotor. That would be thick.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 01:48 PM