Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '75 1.8 Rough Cold Start and Idle
andrewvolsen
post Apr 29 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,099
Region Association: Central California

My '75 1.8 L-jet FI car starts and runs very rough when cold. If I wait less than 5 minutes idling it for warm up before driving, it stumbles, sputters and dies. When cold, if I give it a little gas (2000-2500 rpm or so in neutral) it won't settle back down to idle; it drops way below idle speed and often stalls. Is this normal? My odometer also stopped working the other day. The speedometer still works, but the odometer does not. What are there common causes for this?

Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Apr 29 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #2

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a similar issue with my 914 1.8 L-jet, so I am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I have been trying to fix this for 2 years now and am about to give up and completely tear off the FI, and go through every piece with a fine tooth comb (magnifying glass) and reassemble.

I think it is a vacuum leak, but can't find it yet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 29 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(andrewvolsen @ Apr 29 2010, 12:22 PM) *

My '75 1.8 L-jet FI car starts and runs very rough when cold. If I wait less than 5 minutes idling it for warm up before driving, it stumbles, sputters and dies. When cold, if I give it a little gas (2000-2500 rpm or so in neutral) it won't settle back down to idle; it drops way below idle speed and often stalls. Is this normal? My odometer also stopped working the other day. The speedometer still works, but the odometer does not. What are there common causes for this?

Andrew

Hi Andrew. ODO is the gear best to let the vdo rebuilder handle it.
Cold running can be a number of things starting with valve adjust compression dwell and timing Then vacuum leaks fuel pressure and then head temperature sensor aux air valve. By the time you check and fix these your problem will be solved.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:38 AM