Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '75 1.8 Rough Cold Start and Idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewvolsen
My '75 1.8 L-jet FI car starts and runs very rough when cold. If I wait less than 5 minutes idling it for warm up before driving, it stumbles, sputters and dies. When cold, if I give it a little gas (2000-2500 rpm or so in neutral) it won't settle back down to idle; it drops way below idle speed and often stalls. Is this normal? My odometer also stopped working the other day. The speedometer still works, but the odometer does not. What are there common causes for this?

Andrew
Cupomeat
I have a similar issue with my 914 1.8 L-jet, so I am popcorn[1].gif

I have been trying to fix this for 2 years now and am about to give up and completely tear off the FI, and go through every piece with a fine tooth comb (magnifying glass) and reassemble.

I think it is a vacuum leak, but can't find it yet.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(andrewvolsen @ Apr 29 2010, 12:22 PM) *

My '75 1.8 L-jet FI car starts and runs very rough when cold. If I wait less than 5 minutes idling it for warm up before driving, it stumbles, sputters and dies. When cold, if I give it a little gas (2000-2500 rpm or so in neutral) it won't settle back down to idle; it drops way below idle speed and often stalls. Is this normal? My odometer also stopped working the other day. The speedometer still works, but the odometer does not. What are there common causes for this?

Andrew

Hi Andrew. ODO is the gear best to let the vdo rebuilder handle it.
Cold running can be a number of things starting with valve adjust compression dwell and timing Then vacuum leaks fuel pressure and then head temperature sensor aux air valve. By the time you check and fix these your problem will be solved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.