Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OE Jack, When was the last time....
When did you last use the stock jack to lift your Teener?
Have you used it..
In the last Week [ 2 ] ** [2.70%]
In the last Month [ 3 ] ** [4.05%]
In the last Year [ 14 ] ** [18.92%]
IVE NEVER USED IT! [ 55 ] ** [74.32%]
Total Votes: 74
Guests cannot vote 
type47
post May 3 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #21

Viermeister

Group: Members
Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Answering this poll makes me realize I don't have a factory jack! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 3 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #22

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

A few months ago I traveled to San Diego to see a movie. After the movie, my car wouldn't start - no fuel pump noise. Since I was parked on a level section of a parking garage, I jacked up the drivers side, found a loose fuel pump wire and fixed it.

It made for a nice ride back to Orange County.

As far as I'm concerned, the stock jack is a very reliable jack for emergency use. I would never use it in my garage, but when you're traveling and stuck, it does the job pretty well.

Eric Read
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 3 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #23

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(RobW @ May 3 2010, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Borderline @ May 3 2010, 09:42 AM) *

I use mine at every AX I attend to change to race tires and back. It works great is compact and light weight. Just keep it lubed.

Try it on an incline with dirt... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! - Rob - read the owners manual - level hard surfaces only! Also the opposite front wheel should be chocked/stopped-off F&R.

Jacking 101: get to a proper & safe place to change the flat (flat, level & hard surface out of & well away from traffic), chock the opposite front tire F&R, release the E-brake, get the jack in position on a firm/flat surface & in the tube (inspect tube first every time) & just start it up without lifting the tire, break the lug bolts/nuts loose while the tire is still weighted on the ground, then jack up & remove the flat, replace with the spare (forehead top & knees at 70-80 & 200-220 degrees to hold the tire in place for the firs lug always worked for me in the pre-aligning-stud days), hand tighten the lugs, let her down part way to partially re-weight the wheels to tighten up the lugs (star pattern, go to opposite corners rather than all around consecutively), then let 'er down the rest of the way, remove the jack, re-set the E-brake, remove the chocks & stow the flat, jack, etc. & get to a tire store asap to get the flat fixed.

I can make a video for you Rob, if you want! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Rich - they're also made for roadside emergencies - NOT shop work - use a proper floor jack for that, which is why there are 4 jacking/lift doughnuts on the underbody. But they're leagues better than the old USA ratchet types of the day!!

So long as your jack tubes/supports & longs are good, the Bilstein jacks work fine, but I prefer the 73> screw-type better than the earlier ones.

If the jack posts are iffy, then get a compact +/- 2 ton piston jack to carry on/next-to the spare in the front trunk well & use that on the appropriate jack post. Good idea to use a rubber or poly pad on top of the piston to save the doughnuts finish a bit. IMHO the hydraulic piston types are more reliable than the scissors type.

I've used both the factory & piston types on mine - about once or twice a year back in the day - sometimes to put the cable chains on the rears when up in the mountains to ski if space was too tight to roll back onto the chains. They work fine & are safe when used properly on a 914 without damaged tubes/longs & never get under the car with them. I'd bet that at least 9 times out of 10 the mishaps noted above were due to either tube/long damage &/or improper use of the jacks - including incomplete insertion into the tube - which the gals hate! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW - I voted 1 year anyway, even if it's been 25 since I drove mine. Damn the statisticians & full speed ahead - since a survey/pol can be structured to get any answer you want! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

OK - so now I see that 70+% of you have never used theirs, so the garage queens & those missing a stock jack have to be thrown out, & you have to allow us old farts more than a year ago to vote under the "last year category"!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Sep 4 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #24

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2010, 08:37 PM) *

I have a 944 jack for my car. Much more reliable and versatile.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-419-1272861478.1.jpg)

What year 944 jack is this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 4 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I like the idea of picking up a 944 jack. I have never used my 914 jack. I've restored some to pristine condition though & they sure looked nice sitting in my trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Sep 4 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #26

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914

i did it once...
never again...
i think it was designed as an afterthought...or perhaps the jack engineer was a
little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 4 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #27

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(qa1142 @ Sep 4 2010, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 2 2010, 08:37 PM) *

I have a 944 jack for my car. Much more reliable and versatile.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-419-1272861478.1.jpg)

What year 944 jack is this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Any . Some of the earlier cars had the same design and spec jack, but it was steel. ANY turbo car or post 85.5 n/a car should have the aluminum I believe. Check E-bay, usually 20,00-30.00
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Sep 4 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #28

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i also did it once (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) thats how i discoverd my jack posts are not in the best of condition. i also bent the valence and it remains bent untill today.

floor jack for me
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 4 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #29

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

My car doesn't have the jack posts so the OE jack is useless. I carry a 944 jack for roadside emergencies.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 5 2010, 08:50 AM
Post #30

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

If a few of you want the 944 jacks, I can ask a local guy that parts 944's. He may have a few sitting around.
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Sep 5 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 11,426

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 5 2010, 07:50 AM) *

If a few of you want the 944 jacks, I can ask a local guy that parts 944's. He may have a few sitting around.

I am interested in one, the aluminum one so it's easier to move around.

Dave
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 5 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #32

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

When I've used mine, it worked great. I should mention that mine looks new and is not a POS; if it were I wouldn't use it in the first place.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Sep 7 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #33

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

I used it once many years ago (no choice for that in the poll). It worked fine but I was on asphalt and the only flat I've ever had in that car.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 07:27 AM