Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vintage Ads for 914s & Related Items, Look & Add Your own!
Tom_T
post May 11 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

OK - let's liven things up some folks now that the Guru is enjoying his twilight years with Fritz or Franz or whoever that loose German is!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
... Garsh - I wonder if his wife knows she has competition!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Okay - so first of all, we have someone over on Wheels & Tires asking for paint advise to restore his wheels on a 75 2.0, but we need him to load up some pix ~ then those with that type of wheel chime in with what you know to help this poor guy out! Plug #1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

#2 - I'll post some interesting vintage 914 related ad which I've found online or somewhere & I'll follow later on with others, but you guys & gals need to hop in here in post some that you've found. Make it fun & interesting, & if it has prices from "back in the day" - all the better to drown our sorrows for today's outrageous prices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Jeff - I know that you have a collection of fun stuff, so jump in here Mr. Bowlsby! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
By the way - if he has the time & interest, I think Jeff Bowlsby would be an excellent moderator here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
.... he taught me everything I know (almost)!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Okay - here's a great ad for the Vintage Dunlop SP57 Tires which used to be one of the main OEM tires delivered from the factory on 911s & 914s back in the 1970's. It looks like they used something like Matchbook Cars for the ad, since they didn't really have easy Photoshop back then, but you could do similar stuff with actual paste-ups. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Judging by the file name on this one, credit goes to Mr. Bowlsby for finding it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Here's a snippet from a 1973 road test noting the 165HR15 Dunlop SP57's on the then "new" 914-2.0 or "914S" ....

Attached Image
Attached Image

Come on - who's next!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 13 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Back in the early 70's, I became newsletter editor for Ohio Valley Region PCA. Along with that duty came access to Porsche factory released photos, for use to the press. Most were B&W pics. They were for advertising purposes. Here are a couple - have more, including other models.

In pic2, that's Bob Hindson leading John Morton.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 13 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #3

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 13 2010, 09:43 PM) *

Back in the early 70's, I became newsletter editor for Ohio Valley Region PCA . . .

Well, sir . . . ahem . . . I'd like to write the editor and point out that the 916-6 GT pictured in fact finished sixth overall. Not seventh.

m.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post May 13 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #4

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 12 2010, 02:39 AM) *

It looks like they used something like Matchbook Cars for the ad

these are Schuco 1/66 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

btw - there was a very similar b/w version too

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 14 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Great Pat & Gustl !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Okay - how about some of the infamous "The _______ Porsche" series!?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .... so what was it ... a 26 mpg or 29 mpg Porsche - both are 2.0 in the text?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image Attached Image

... or the - "Gee I wish they were still that much Porsche" ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... "Action Porsche" ~ or ~ "ACTION Porsche" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
.............. Pat - I think that's your COA's "Noregian Equipment" on the Orange 914 on the right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

... "Cow-abunga" dude! "The Surf Porsche" or the "After Surf Porsche" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... again, most of the credit for these goes to Mr. Bowlsby, or advertisers I found on the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) -bay!

+Quote Post
Gustl
post May 14 2010, 04:55 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2010, 07:32 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .... so what was it ... a 26 mpg or 29 mpg Porsche - both are 2.0 in the text?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

IIRC that's a US version against a CAN version (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Gustl
post May 14 2010, 06:35 AM
Post #7

here are some less common ads:

toy car ads from Italy:

Attached Image

1974 ad from Road & Track ... I don't know "BAP/GEON" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

french John Deere ad (don't know the year)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gustl
post May 14 2010, 06:36 AM
Post #8

two rare ads from Germany:

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
AvalonFal
post May 14 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Attached Image
Paul
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 14 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #10

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(Gustl @ May 14 2010, 06:55 AM) *

IIRC that's a US version against a CAN version (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yes, your recall is correct; one ad gives an example of a Toronto to Montreal trip and the other a round trip from N.Y to DC

Don't know why the CDN has lower gas mileage? Maybe less emission crap = a bit more power = lower mileage? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) My '73 with stock injection gets better than that now.

My 3.2 conversion car - not so much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 14 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #11

TMI....

QUOTE(MDG @ May 14 2010, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ May 14 2010, 06:55 AM) *

Yes, your recall is correct; one add gives an example of a Toronto to Montreal trip and the other a round trip from N.Y to DC

Don't know why the CDN has lower gas mileage? Maybe less emission crap = a bit more power = lower mileage? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) My '73 with stock injection gets better than that now.

My 3.2 conversion car - not so much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mike & Wolfgang - if the Canadian 914's had the GB engines with 100 hp 8.0 compression ratio Euro Engine, then it could be the case, but if they were the USA spec GA with 7.6 CR 91/95 HP engine - then there would be no reason for a 3 mpg difference in real practice, unless one route had more hills to climb. Otherwise the mpg would be the same for a US or Can. GA 2.0.

Mike - I too in my 10 years DD with my 73 GA 2.0 stock D-jet I'd always gotten in the low 30's mpg on highway speed driving, unless it was in mountainous territory, like crosscountry out west here or going up skiing.

Paul - great German Beach Ad - I'd guessed it might be on the Baltic, which is even colder than the Jersey Shore & without the Gulf Stream, so probably pretty cool there in that ad!

Wolfgang - great ads! FYI - in that one ad Bap-Geon is/was a USA FLAPS type auto parts store, similar to what Bosch has/had there in Europe.

I actually found that French John Deere ad with the 914 on-line too, & always wondered what it said. Maybe Johannes can enlighten us all? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'll add some more of my ads later, with my personal comical juxtaposing of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
AvalonFal
post May 14 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Another German beach ad:

Attached Image

Paul
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 14 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #13

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

No on the high compression Euro spec engines for Canada; same for all North America. And yes, my car is a GA.

Did they add extra smog stuff in the US? I didn't think so. Probably just some copywriter not paying attention.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 14 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(MDG @ May 13 2010, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 13 2010, 09:43 PM) *

Back in the early 70's, I became newsletter editor for Ohio Valley Region PCA . . .

Well, sir . . . ahem . . . I'd like to write the editor and point out that the 916-6 GT pictured in fact finished sixth overall. Not seventh.

m.

It is "as sent" from the Factory. I guess an "oops" is necessary!
Be that as it may, these are original press release photos. You wouldn't believe the euron intro package that I got for the 928 - it's a tome!
Pat
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 14 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #15

TMI....

QUOTE(AvalonFal @ May 14 2010, 12:49 PM) *

Another German beach ad:

Attached Image

Paul

I wonder if it's a bit nipply out there for her Paul? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... and the USA version of the above ad .... "The Get Away Porsche" ~ or the Get AWAY Porsche! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

"The City Porsche" ~ or ~ The get out of the city Porsche? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

"The Desert Porsche" ~ with or without Tits - your choice! ... on the 914 that is, the gal has them in both ads! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

"I Wanted to ... " ....... " .... Entertain You!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Last one for today - the Sebring win promotion -

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 14 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #16

TMI....

QUOTE(MDG @ May 14 2010, 03:19 PM) *

No on the high compression Euro spec engines for Canada; same for all North America. And yes, my car is a GA.

Did they add extra smog stuff in the US? I didn't think so. Probably just some copywriter not paying attention.

Mike, the factory & Porsche+Audi North America both also variously quoted the 73-74 MYs' GA 2.0's HP as 91 & 95, so they probably made some copy errors on that & these ads, or maybe had two sets of test data on the mpg & hp? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The whole point of the GA 2.0 was to eliminated the need for a 49 state & California version fro the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) - as they did with the 1.7s of 72-73 MYs, so I doubt that they tuned them differently for USA to Canuck-land up your way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 14 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #17

If anyone is interested, I have the 1972 sales training volume. It wouldn't help any of us here, since we already know this stuff, but it's cute. No pics. just text and questions. Since I'm planning a move, anyone who wants it can have it.

PM if ineterested. Free.
Pat
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 14 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #18

TMI....

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 14 2010, 06:10 PM) *

If anyone is interested, I have the 1972 sales training volume. It wouldn't help any of us here, since we already know this stuff, but it's cute. No pics. just text and questions. Since I'm planning a move, anyone who wants it can have it.

PM if ineterested. Free.
Pat

Great offer for you 72 MY owners! Kudos Pat!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Are you moving back to the Cinci area Pat? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post May 15 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #19

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The 26 vs 29 MPG difference is mostly due to Canada using the Imperial gallon (160 oz) vs the US gallon (128 oz); poor Yankees are short a fifth. However that should make it 26 to 32.5 MPG. So, obviously the Canadians drive pedal-to-the-metal.
In actual fact with a 1973 1.7 on stock tires my average highway fuel economy was better than 40 MPG circa 1976.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 15 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #20

TMI....

QUOTE(davep @ May 15 2010, 01:04 PM) *

The 26 vs 29 MPG difference is mostly due to Canada using the Imperial gallon (160 oz) vs the US gallon (128 oz); poor Yankees are short a fifth. However that should make it 26 to 32.5 MPG. So, obviously the Canadians drive pedal-to-the-metal.
In actual fact with a 1973 1.7 on stock tires my average highway fuel economy was better than 40 MPG circa 1976.

I think you've solved the mystery Dave! Imp vs. US Gallons! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If 32.5+/- on the NYC run, then it could also be due to the Interstates here in the USA, because I think the Canadian run involved some lower speed stop-n-go bits in parts back then - yes/no? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The 32.5 actually tracks with my 73 2L on stock 165HR15 Semperit 201/401 tires on a stead Interstate/Freeway run! ... & if I cruised easy it was 35-40 range like your 1.7 back in the day.

Of course, more aggressive driving with the "magic" 3000-4700 rpm sweet spot dropped you to the mid-20's mpg - but even that wasn't bad for real hard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) !!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:06 PM