Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Size of Torque Wrench to use?, What's your favorite - Kinda boring hu? - but Useful
bandjoey
post May 12 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #1

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just finished putting new push rod seals in for the first time and hopefully this will end the drip drip drip. I never bought a 1/4" torque wrench cause it looked to sissy. Big manley 1/2 and 3/8 in the tool box. I picked up the 10ft lb's setting from Haynes to torque the nuts holding on the rocker assembly. On the 3/8 it felt like I was barely tightening the nuts, but it clicked. Almost no old fashion arm strong feel to know how tight the nut really was.

Is there enough use for a 1/4 torque wrench to justify buying one?

On the same topic, do socket extensions or universal joints change the torque setting over just the socket? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks Tool Guys!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 12)
zx-niner
post May 12 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,269
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 12 2010, 07:51 PM) *

On the same topic, do socket extensions or universal joints change the torque setting over just the socket? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hold the extension as close to perpendicular as possible with your free hand without restricting anything. It will not greatly affect the torque reading. If you tilt it, it will make a difference. I've always had the belief that my gauging of perpendicular was within the accuracy of the wrench torque setting calibrations.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 12 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Do you really need an excuse to buy a new tool? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 12 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Having a good collection of torque wrenches is a necessity. I have 4 in my tool box. a 1/2 inch drive, for the big stuff, a 3/8 drive for smaller stuff, a 3.8 drive in inch/lbs for the really small stuff , and a beam type 1/2 inch.

I want to get either a beam type or dial type inch pound torque wrench for transmission work.

And remember, always unwind the torque wrench to the minimum setting or be prepared to get it re calibrated regularly.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 12 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #5

bandjoey

YES I feeel the need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) for tools.
Clay what's a beam torque wrench? Also I've never heard anywhere to unwind the wrench but it makes sense. I've been told to go to a lighter setting before use and click it both ways a couple of times. Going out to unwind mine right now. Tools. Yahoo!
+Quote Post
benalishhero
post May 13 2010, 05:08 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,384
Region Association: North East States

A beam type has a pointer and a horizontal dial.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post May 13 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #7

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I bought one of these from Gear Wrench about 1.5 years ago and absolutely love it. Since it uses strain gauge technology you don't have to worry about forgetting to back the handle off after you use it and screwing up the calibration. The 3/8" is good from like 7-100 ft/lbs which covers everything with these motors. Worth every penny in my book.

BTW Gear Wrench also makes them for the Craftsman brand at Sears. Just a slightly different looking grip.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 13 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #8

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

I have all three sizes from Snap-on. My 1/2" is a dial gauge but the other two are twist.

I think they are worth every dollar when putting things that need to be exact. Other stuff...just zip it together with air tools (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
charliew
post May 13 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

In aluminum or alloys I can't get by without torque wrenches. The suby manual has some erroneous torque specs and the young guys screw up regularly because they lack the experience of whats usually about right. For instance 7 inch pounds or 7 ft lbs. 14 inch pounds or 14 ft lbs? The cam saddle caps bolt threads in the heads get messed up the most probably. I think torque wrenches are the most accurate in the middle of their rangs. Also don't forget the thread lube. Torque specs are for lubed threads not dry. I had a airforce guy claim that helicopters used torque specs on dry threads. I don't know but I think he was high the day they talked about torque specs. He actually had a job on my predictive maintenance crew in industrial maintenance. Good thing he wasn't torqing any thing at work other than his opinion.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 13 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(charliew @ May 13 2010, 11:59 AM) *

In aluminum or alloys I can't get by without torque wrenches. The suby manual has some erroneous torque specs and the young guys screw up regularly because they lack the experience of whats usually about right. For instance 7 inch pounds or 7 ft lbs. 14 inch pounds or 14 ft lbs? The cam saddle caps bolt threads in the heads get messed up the most probably. I think torque wrenches are the most accurate in the middle of their rangs. Also don't forget the thread lube. Torque specs are for lubed threads not dry. I had a airforce guy claim that helicopters used torque specs on dry threads. I don't know but I think he was high the day they talked about torque specs. He actually had a job on my predictive maintenance crew in industrial maintenance. Good thing he wasn't torqing any thing at work other than his opinion.

So lug bolts are suppose to be dressed if you torque them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Wait, what? They are only for lubed threads? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I'm no rookie but I know I have pleanty to learn. However, I've never heard this before.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 13 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #11

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Unless things have changed drastically since I was and F105 crew chief, you won't find any oiled bolts on aircraft.

Don't drop your click style wrench or it will have to be re-calibrated.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 13 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #12

bandjoey

How can we tell if the wrench in in calibration and who calibrates them?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 13 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #13

Tool guys can tell... My Snap-on guy has a gauge handy for testing. This is one reason I like the dial type better.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:10 AM