Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 Installation
Brad Roberts
post Apr 6 2004, 09:56 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Oh.. contrare... I have a lot of skin to lose if a customer overheats his 3.0/3.2 914. I get to eat an engine rebuild.

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Apr 6 2004, 01:07 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,896

Wow,

You guys should try some decaf.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 6 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #23

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

How do you quantify broken head studs, premature valve guide or piston ring wear? Are you gonna jump in should those problems arise?

As to your opinion of 6s running cooler in 914s than in 911s, Mr Anderson says the opposite is true.

Dflesburger(if that's your real name): We been doing this off & on for some time.....tain't personal....he's just all fucked up and I'm tryng to set him straight....ain't having much luck, tho. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I LIKE caffeine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 6 2004, 02:06 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

JP and I go back a few years now and love having this debate. It's all fun and games. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Bruce and his books go way back... oils have changed... gas has changed... he also told us to install chassis stiff kits and control arm kits 20 years ago... Now he doesnt.

Everytime I install a front mounted oil cooler in a 3.0 or 3.2 car.. I end up blocking half (if not more) of it off to keep the car from cycling the thermostat. I honestly beleive the earlier engines need a front mounted cooler, but with the advance in oil pumps in the 3.0/3.2 and synthetic oil.

I have also said it depends on where you live. I know where this guy lives (Castro Valley) it is only 8-10deg. warmer there than it is here on the Penisula. He would be just fine with a stock cooler.

B
+Quote Post
John
post Apr 7 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #25

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

As far as the 901 boxes are concerned, our 901 lasted about 8 years of only track time before we really started breaking fourth gear. After the first time we broke fourth gear, it seemed to happen with more frequency. Perhaps we finally got to the point where we were pushing the car hard enough to overstress the 901 box.

We broke many a 901 boxes (all fourth gear) and with different cases and builders. The gearbox is simply not strong enough to handle the torque. In the end, I did build one with the "billit" intermediate plate, but it still is on the stand. We never tried it. Oh well, that is one totally rebuilt spare on the shelf.

I truely believe the 901 is sufficient on the street, but for serious track time, you will either become a transmission rebuilder or will have to take the plunge and go 915-916. (There was a reason the 901 was abandoned with the 2.4 engines back in 1973)
+Quote Post
ein 6er
post Apr 7 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #26

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 300

rumor has it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) that a larger engine oil cooler is in the works.

hope that's true!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 8 2004, 02:03 AM
Post #27

914 Freak!

It is true.. and it was tested on Jerry Woods dyno a month or so back. We couldnt get the engine past 180 degree's at full throttle and 3/4 load on it.

It is only a matter of time/money. Neither of which I have right now. The two projects that deserve focus from me are getting it. This cooler setup gets attention when I can breath for a minute or two.

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:53 PM