Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I threw out a bunch of 914 parts today, some went in the trash some to the scrap metal dealer
URY914
post May 21 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

After selling my daily driver last week, I still had boxes of spare 914 parts. These were from three parts cars that I had parted out in the last several years. But don't get your T-back in a bunch about this stuff. How many windshield washer bottles, head light covers, ash trays, front A arms, frozen brake calipers, shitty door panels, seat adjuster hardware, old sound deading pads, shocks, door window hardware, gas tanks, etc, etc etc do you need to keep? This shit has no value now and maybe worth a dollar in 100 years. Sooner or later you gotta decide to dump it. The plastic crap went in the trash and the metal went to the scrap dealer. I made $35.75. I fell better now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Drums66
post May 21 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #2

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

I hear you!.....tripping and falling not cool.
I may be following suit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 21 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Dam it man. I need a ashtray and the headlight covers ( along with the surround) make great clocks!
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post May 21 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #4

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 21 2010, 10:53 AM) *

After selling my daily driver last week, I still had boxes of spare 914 parts. These were from three parts cars that I had parted out in the last several years. But don't get your T-back in a bunch about this stuff. How many windshield washer bottles, head light covers, ash trays, front A arms, frozen brake calipers, shitty door panels, seat adjuster hardware, old sound deading pads, shocks, door window hardware, gas tanks, etc, etc etc do you need to keep? This shit has no value now and maybe worth a dollar in 100 years. Sooner or later you gotta decide to dump it. The plastic crap went in the trash and the metal went to the scrap dealer. I made $35.75. I fell better now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
A long time ago I learned never to collect iron or big heavy stuff. Collect small things that store well in boxes. Always try to pick out the rare & difficult parts that become NLA. It's like playing the stock market & it's fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Having said that, do as I say not as I do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
Mary Shortridge
post May 21 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,616
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My grandma used to say...."One man's trash is another man's treasure." Buttercup is grateful for everyone's generosity to share their spare parts! I didn't know where to begin to get everything I needed.....
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 21 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Damn it Man, I thought you were going to call me before going to the Yard. I need a few things for the Roller besides the seats ( GasTank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ).

My T-back is in a bunch, I could have been scouring you stuff for the Jewel, but no, you leave to the wolves.

T.C.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 21 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #7

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

Head to the scrapper tomorrow early. Offer them $50 to get the stuff back! Quick!
Sad to see the innards squashed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 21 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #8

TC,

The gas tank went a few months ago. I still have the seats for you.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 21 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I need headlight eyebrows and a bunch of little stuff for three cars. Even shitty door cards sometimes have nice vinyl. Not that you can't get the stuff new but... Hey I hear ya on the storing parts. I will be hauling a load of 914 scrap this weekend myself. Rusted out and kinked lids, doors, and smashed fenders.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 21 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #10

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Please lie to me and tell me that none of your A-arms had factory installed swaybar mounts.
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 21 2010, 09:11 PM
Post #11

OK, they didn't.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 21 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #12

Major Member

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 21 2010, 07:11 PM) *

OK, they didn't.

Thank you. I will sleep tonight. I am sure that they were bent and rusty as well.
+Quote Post
markb
post May 21 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #13

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

We've been doing the same thing at the warehouse & storage. How many ashtrays do you really need to keep? I threw out a huge box, and still have a bunch. Anything worth selling we're hanging on to, but the obvious junk is dumpster bound. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 21 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #14

Major Member

QUOTE(markb @ May 21 2010, 07:23 PM) *

We've been doing the same thing at the warehouse & storage. How many ashtrays do you really need to keep? I threw out a huge box, and still have a bunch. Anything worth selling we're hanging on to, but the obvious junk is dumpster bound. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I bet that people were doing that with 356 crap a few years ago. Who needs 37 toolkit lugwrenches? I would love to have 37 of those today.

These cars are never going to feel the love from Porsche, and thus few parts will be reproduced by the factory. But as time goes by, and there are so many out there to restore, every part is going to be worth money. Yes, even ash trays. Check back with us in 10 years. I threw "junk" away 10 years ago that would be worth hundreds if not thousands today, and I only had one parts car.

Send those ashtrays out to be replated, and sell them to GPR, AA, Performance, etc. I would buy one if the price is right. Mine is looking a bit aged.

Point is, every part on these cars are going up in value. I wouldn't throw anything away.
+Quote Post
markb
post May 21 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #15

Um, Ken? I'm talking about at GPR.

You can only store so much stuff. Storage space costs $$, and if the phones aren't ringing with people buying parts, something has to give. I don't remember ever selling an ashtray in the 11 years I've been working on 914's. I HAVE given a few away at swapmeets, tho. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 21 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #16

Major Member

QUOTE(markb @ May 21 2010, 08:00 PM) *

Um, Ken? I'm talking about at GPR.

You can only store so much stuff. Storage space costs $$, and if the phones aren't ringing with people buying parts, something has to give. I don't remember ever selling an ashtray in the 11 years I've been working on 914's. I HAVE given a few away at swapmeets, tho. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Uhm, I meant the other GPR...

Ashtray example not withstanding, you probably get my point. Ten years ago, I gave away a tub with associated parts that I could have parted out today for a couple grand. The fan base for 914s in increasing relatively rapidly, and cars that were once forlorne are now being restored, especially on the East Coast. I wouldn't throw anything away at this point, and if you are inclined to do so, please let me know. I will take it off your hands if I can from a storage standpoint.

You obviously know the business far more than I do, but I see the trend of 914 restorations rising quickly. Look at the number of members now on this site. I am 2660. There are well over 10,000 now. Some are going to need ashtrays at some point.
+Quote Post
zx-niner
post May 21 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,269

We've all done it. I wish I could be around in a hundred years when somebody takes the last two 914s in existence to make one good one.
+Quote Post
markb
post May 22 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #18

There's another GPR other than German Parts & Restoration? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 22 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #19

Racer from Birth

Member No.: 1,623

Of course Mark, in that Parallel Universe where Pyramids made of Ashtrays are erected to the 914 Gods
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 22 2010, 06:06 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

I have been doing the same thing in the last six months. I have been getting down to the bare minimum in the way of parts. Just enough to finish the Creamsicle and a limit of ONE spare of each of the parts that are NLA or hard to find. I must have had 25 calipers, 10 swing arms, 10 engine lids, front control arms, hoods, doors and the list goes on. The GOOD news is I gave them away to several fellow teeners.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:59 AM