Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I threw out a bunch of 914 parts today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
After selling my daily driver last week, I still had boxes of spare 914 parts. These were from three parts cars that I had parted out in the last several years. But don't get your T-back in a bunch about this stuff. How many windshield washer bottles, head light covers, ash trays, front A arms, frozen brake calipers, shitty door panels, seat adjuster hardware, old sound deading pads, shocks, door window hardware, gas tanks, etc, etc etc do you need to keep? This shit has no value now and maybe worth a dollar in 100 years. Sooner or later you gotta decide to dump it. The plastic crap went in the trash and the metal went to the scrap dealer. I made $35.75. I fell better now. biggrin.gif
Drums66
I hear you!.....tripping and falling not cool.
I may be following suit? laugh.gif popcorn[1].gif
underthetire
Dam it man. I need a ashtray and the headlight covers ( along with the surround) make great clocks!
TJB/914
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 21 2010, 10:53 AM) *

After selling my daily driver last week, I still had boxes of spare 914 parts. These were from three parts cars that I had parted out in the last several years. But don't get your T-back in a bunch about this stuff. How many windshield washer bottles, head light covers, ash trays, front A arms, frozen brake calipers, shitty door panels, seat adjuster hardware, old sound deading pads, shocks, door window hardware, gas tanks, etc, etc etc do you need to keep? This shit has no value now and maybe worth a dollar in 100 years. Sooner or later you gotta decide to dump it. The plastic crap went in the trash and the metal went to the scrap dealer. I made $35.75. I fell better now. biggrin.gif

agree.gif
A long time ago I learned never to collect iron or big heavy stuff. Collect small things that store well in boxes. Always try to pick out the rare & difficult parts that become NLA. It's like playing the stock market & it's fun. rolleyes.gif

Having said that, do as I say not as I do. lol-2.gif

Tom
Mary Shortridge
My grandma used to say...."One man's trash is another man's treasure." Buttercup is grateful for everyone's generosity to share their spare parts! I didn't know where to begin to get everything I needed.....
carr914
Damn it Man, I thought you were going to call me before going to the Yard. I need a few things for the Roller besides the seats ( GasTank headbang.gif ).

My T-back is in a bunch, I could have been scouring you stuff for the Jewel, but no, you leave to the wolves.

T.C.
bandjoey
Head to the scrapper tomorrow early. Offer them $50 to get the stuff back! Quick!
Sad to see the innards squashed. hissyfit.gif
URY914
TC,

The gas tank went a few months ago. I still have the seats for you.
rick 918-S
I need headlight eyebrows and a bunch of little stuff for three cars. Even shitty door cards sometimes have nice vinyl. Not that you can't get the stuff new but... Hey I hear ya on the storing parts. I will be hauling a load of 914 scrap this weekend myself. Rusted out and kinked lids, doors, and smashed fenders.
bigkensteele
Please lie to me and tell me that none of your A-arms had factory installed swaybar mounts.
URY914
OK, they didn't.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 21 2010, 07:11 PM) *

OK, they didn't.

Thank you. I will sleep tonight. I am sure that they were bent and rusty as well.
markb
We've been doing the same thing at the warehouse & storage. How many ashtrays do you really need to keep? I threw out a huge box, and still have a bunch. Anything worth selling we're hanging on to, but the obvious junk is dumpster bound. smile.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(markb @ May 21 2010, 07:23 PM) *

We've been doing the same thing at the warehouse & storage. How many ashtrays do you really need to keep? I threw out a huge box, and still have a bunch. Anything worth selling we're hanging on to, but the obvious junk is dumpster bound. smile.gif

I bet that people were doing that with 356 crap a few years ago. Who needs 37 toolkit lugwrenches? I would love to have 37 of those today.

These cars are never going to feel the love from Porsche, and thus few parts will be reproduced by the factory. But as time goes by, and there are so many out there to restore, every part is going to be worth money. Yes, even ash trays. Check back with us in 10 years. I threw "junk" away 10 years ago that would be worth hundreds if not thousands today, and I only had one parts car.

Send those ashtrays out to be replated, and sell them to GPR, AA, Performance, etc. I would buy one if the price is right. Mine is looking a bit aged.

Point is, every part on these cars are going up in value. I wouldn't throw anything away.
markb
Um, Ken? I'm talking about at GPR.

You can only store so much stuff. Storage space costs $$, and if the phones aren't ringing with people buying parts, something has to give. I don't remember ever selling an ashtray in the 11 years I've been working on 914's. I HAVE given a few away at swapmeets, tho. smile.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(markb @ May 21 2010, 08:00 PM) *

You can only store so much stuff. Storage space costs $$, and if the phones aren't ringing with people buying parts, something has to give. I don't remember ever selling an ashtray in the 11 years I've been working on 914's. I HAVE given a few away at swapmeets, tho. smile.gif

Uhm, I meant the other GPR...

Ashtray example not withstanding, you probably get my point. Ten years ago, I gave away a tub with associated parts that I could have parted out today for a couple grand. The fan base for 914s in increasing relatively rapidly, and cars that were once forlorne are now being restored, especially on the East Coast. I wouldn't throw anything away at this point, and if you are inclined to do so, please let me know. I will take it off your hands if I can from a storage standpoint.

You obviously know the business far more than I do, but I see the trend of 914 restorations rising quickly. Look at the number of members now on this site. I am 2660. There are well over 10,000 now. Some are going to need ashtrays at some point.
zx-niner
We've all done it. I wish I could be around in a hundred years when somebody takes the last two 914s in existence to make one good one.
markb
There's another GPR other than German Parts & Restoration? blink.gif
carr914
Of course Mark, in that Parallel Universe where Pyramids made of Ashtrays are erected to the 914 Gods
914Sixer
I have been doing the same thing in the last six months. I have been getting down to the bare minimum in the way of parts. Just enough to finish the Creamsicle and a limit of ONE spare of each of the parts that are NLA or hard to find. I must have had 25 calipers, 10 swing arms, 10 engine lids, front control arms, hoods, doors and the list goes on. The GOOD news is I gave them away to several fellow teeners.
tremere613
please do not throw parts out...
100% sure that someone from the forums would swing by and take every piece off you..and be thanking you a million times...
granted many parts are just worthless right now..
but my car was tottaly stripped and i live on east coast....so any non rusted out 914 part looks like gold to me
maybe make a post box of 914 parts in front of house come and grab em while you can! recycling tommorow ; 0
underthetire
Do I absolutely need the ashtray? No. I have an idea to convert the ashtray to something useful, and no, not a cup holder. I just tossed some heat exchangers myself, so I get it. And on the same note I still have this 1.7 Burch style muffler that needs a new home.
Gigamight
I am dealing with this problem myself today. I was storing a bunch of parts at a friends house, in his outbuilding. Yesterday, the building fell down with my stuff inside. Squashed mint doors, tore perfect trim vinyl, now I need to figure out what to keep and what to dump.
underthetire
QUOTE(Gigamight @ May 22 2010, 11:17 AM) *

I am dealing with this problem myself today. I was storing a bunch of parts at a friends house, in his outbuilding. Yesterday, the building fell down with my stuff inside. Squashed mint doors, tore perfect trim vinyl, now I need to figure out what to keep and what to dump.

Sorry about loosing your stash,
but offer up the "junk" here first!
cgnj
So I store it it forever and you get it for free? I'd rather junk it.
ChicagoPete
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 21 2010, 08:40 PM) *

Damn it Man, I thought you were going to call me before going to the Yard. I need a few things for the Roller besides the seats ( GasTank headbang.gif ).

T.C.

T.C.

I got a gas tank for you. Out of my six...yours if you want it, but probably not worth the price of shipping.

For that matter, if anyone in the Chicago area needs it, they can come and get it.

Perhaps, an idea would be to start a section in the classifieds of free stuff. Only requirement should be that you have to put the location in the thread topic??? A section of free and ONLY pickup, no shipping? If you were going to throw it out anyway who wants the hassle of boxing and shipping even if you were reimbursed for it.

Peter
underthetire
QUOTE(cgnj @ May 22 2010, 11:28 AM) *

So I store it it forever and you get it for free? I'd rather junk it.

Well thats a sh*ty attitude. Why store it if you don't think it will be worth anything in the first place then, just offer up your spares to begin with. I'd rather give it to members that can use it on there cars. It's the 914 thing to do.
cgnj
So inyour world I pay for the car, I spend the time disassemblinng it storing it shooting pics galore eating packing and shipping and now if I don't give it up for free I, and I have a shitty attitude? I gave away a whole car last week? What did you do?

Carlos
underthetire
QUOTE(cgnj @ May 22 2010, 12:21 PM) *

So inyour world I pay for the car, I spend the time disassemblinng it storing it shooting pics galore eating packing and shipping and now if I don't give it up for free I, and I have a shitty attitude? I gave away a whole car last week? What did you do?

Carlos

Last week nothing, but a few members have my stuff. I'm not saying you should pack and store just to give it away. I never said anything about free shipping or shipping in general. I'm just saying if your tired of the stuff laying around, to post a heads up, come get it before it goes to the trash. Or even, hey a heads up if you want it but while your here help me load up the rest of the crap you don't want, so I can haul it off.

Did he store if for ever, maybe, but he was done with his project, so he was done with the parts. I don't blame him for getting rid of anything. I just think before anyone dumps parts a heads up, parts are going away on XX come get what you need before I toss them. Just say no pics, not spending time on them. Parts are free, if it's not worth your time to come look, it's not worth my time to document them.
tremere613
agree.gif
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 22 2010, 12:38 AM) *

QUOTE(markb @ May 21 2010, 08:00 PM) *

Uhm, I meant the other GPR...

Ashtray example not withstanding, you probably get my point. Ten years ago, I gave away a tub with associated parts that I could have parted out today for a couple grand. The fan base for 914s in increasing relatively rapidly, and cars that were once forlorne are now being restored, especially on the East Coast. I wouldn't throw anything away at this point, and if you are inclined to do so, please let me know. I will take it off your hands if I can from a storage standpoint.

You obviously know the business far more than I do, but I see the trend of 914 restorations rising quickly. Look at the number of members now on this site. I am 2660. There are well over 10,000 now. Some are going to need ashtrays at some point.

Speaking of restorations rising quickly... I'm a new member restoring one myself and will likely restore a 1970 in the future that has been parked in a garage and not run for 28 years!!!

I see you're also in Cincinnati BTW! Where are all the Teeners hiding? I see them driving around but never at various automotive events; i.e. cruise-in's etc... but then again 914s are best when driven I suppose. biggrin.gif
URY914
If you've ever bought a parts car and really stripped it down to the tub you'd find out that there are hundreds of bits and pieces that noone will ever need. The nuts and bolts alone will weigh 100 pounds.

You know those little pieces of metal that hold the front struts to body?
How about a glove box door?
What about a steering rack?

If you already have these you don't need more. And if you ever do need them there are thousands of them out there for the asking.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 22 2010, 12:52 PM) *

If you've ever bought a parts car and really stripped it down to the tub you'd find out that there are hundreds of bits and pieces that noone will ever need. The nuts and bolts alone will weigh 100 pounds.

You know those little pieces of metal that hold the front struts to body?
How about a glove box door?
What about a steering rack?

If you already have these you don't need more. And if you ever do need them there are thousands of them out there for the asking.

URY, I think that your post might get to the heart of the issue. Yes, we all have a stash. Lots of which we may never use, and in various condition. If I made a shoutout tomorrow for a pristine ashtray so that I could have a chance of winning the Amelia Island Concourse in a week, could anyone help me? Probably. On the other hand, if I asked if anyone had original screws, washers and grommets to install my glove box, could anyone look in their 5 gallon bucket of stuff and locate that conveniently? Probably not.

The value of these cars are trending up at such a rate that everything will be worth some money soon. I have a very nice 75' 1.8 that I was going to use as a basis for my dream 914, but I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't restore it. A 75' 1.8 - the least desireable 914 ever made...
rascobo
[quote name='markb' date='May 21 2010, 09:00 PM' post='1322085']

[/quote

Hey, I'll take six of those ashtrays, but I won't pay more than $50.00 each! Well ok, 75.00. but that;s it! grouphug.gif
Drums66
[quote A 75' 1.8 - the least desireable 914 ever made...
[/quote]

That's what you say! laugh.gif
URY914
BTW - I found a few parts and I decided to list them in the classifieds and not threw them out. rolleyes.gif
type47
Sounds like we need a "My Inventory" classic thread. Post an inventory of all your parts...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.