Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aluminum Cleaner, not polish....
Scott S
post May 26 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

Hi All -
I have a ton of aluminum to clean on a car. Some of the panels have oil/dirt residue, some have a bit of gas spatter and some - like the wheel wells - just have a bit of road grime. Lots of rivets that are holding grime as well. I dont want to polish anything, just get it clean. I had a bad experience with some wheels a few years back where a FLAPS recommended cleaner turned them white - it was a terrible mess. Makes me a bit nervous. Anyone have any experience/recommendations of a good product?

Thanks!
Scott S
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post May 26 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 26 2010, 05:03 PM) *

...I dont want to polish anything, just get it clean. I had a bad experience with some wheels a few years back where a FLAPS recommended cleaner turned them white...

I've had pretty good results with Simple Green on aluminum.
Start dilute, test in an inconspicuous area...

There is a super-duper Simple Green wheel cleaner I actually do use on our (painted) aluminum without issue. I'd test it before trusting it to bare alloy. Plain ol' Simple Green is pretty benign IME tho...
+Quote Post
underthetire
post May 26 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 26 2010, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 26 2010, 05:03 PM) *

...I dont want to polish anything, just get it clean. I had a bad experience with some wheels a few years back where a FLAPS recommended cleaner turned them white...

I've had pretty good results with Simple Green on aluminum.
Start dilute, test in an inconspicuous area...

There is a super-duper Simple Green wheel cleaner I actually do use on our (painted) aluminum without issue. I'd test it before trusting it to bare alloy. Plain ol' Simple Green is pretty benign IME tho...

On everything but clear plastic. Makes a mess of that. I would try lemon dish soap with warm water. We use that to clean aluminum parts at work.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:27 PM