Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aluminum Cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I have a ton of aluminum to clean on a car. Some of the panels have oil/dirt residue, some have a bit of gas spatter and some - like the wheel wells - just have a bit of road grime. Lots of rivets that are holding grime as well. I dont want to polish anything, just get it clean. I had a bad experience with some wheels a few years back where a FLAPS recommended cleaner turned them white - it was a terrible mess. Makes me a bit nervous. Anyone have any experience/recommendations of a good product?

Thanks!
Scott S
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 26 2010, 05:03 PM) *

...I dont want to polish anything, just get it clean. I had a bad experience with some wheels a few years back where a FLAPS recommended cleaner turned them white...

I've had pretty good results with Simple Green on aluminum.
Start dilute, test in an inconspicuous area...

There is a super-duper Simple Green wheel cleaner I actually do use on our (painted) aluminum without issue. I'd test it before trusting it to bare alloy. Plain ol' Simple Green is pretty benign IME tho...
underthetire
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 26 2010, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 26 2010, 05:03 PM) *

...I dont want to polish anything, just get it clean. I had a bad experience with some wheels a few years back where a FLAPS recommended cleaner turned them white...

I've had pretty good results with Simple Green on aluminum.
Start dilute, test in an inconspicuous area...

There is a super-duper Simple Green wheel cleaner I actually do use on our (painted) aluminum without issue. I'd test it before trusting it to bare alloy. Plain ol' Simple Green is pretty benign IME tho...

On everything but clear plastic. Makes a mess of that. I would try lemon dish soap with warm water. We use that to clean aluminum parts at work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.