Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fog lights
partwerks
post May 26 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

Since I lost this person's contact information/email, I'm trying to get ahold of the fella who was making the foglights that had the lights from an airplane mounted into them. Apparently he had worked at a airport at some point. I was thinking his first name was Sergio, but I could be wrong on that. I recall he was from CA.
I had one light take a dump and need of a replacement is why.
Anyone know of this person. I was thinking this site is where I oringinally found out about them.

LK
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 26 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Martin?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
partwerks
post May 27 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #3

That name doesn't ring a bell. I think his last name was a Spanish name as well and from CA
I'm pretty sure someone on this club is where I originally found out about it.
+Quote Post
realred914
post May 27 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #4

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

might take the bad light to a local airport maintance shop and see if it can be sourced that way or use the trusty internet, see if you cant find a name or part number on teh unit you have and see if it comes up in a search.

good luck

PS let us know, that sounds like that ought to be one heck of a bright light!!!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 27 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(realred914 @ May 27 2010, 03:23 PM) *

might take the bad light to a local airport maintance shop and see if it can be sourced that way or use the trusty internet, see if you cant find a name or part number on teh unit you have and see if it comes up in a search.

good luck

PS let us know, that sounds like that ought to be one heck of a bright light!!!

I'm actually working on a system to directly replace the old light / lens with a sealed bean unit. I did this inthe 80's with my car. Worked great. I plan to make the rubber to hold the light in too. I'll PM you a little later.
-Mark
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 27 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Call EASY Auto Wreckers in Emeryville, CA!

I got a set from them a few years back!

EASY Porsche

+Quote Post
partwerks
post May 27 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #7

That web site looks real familiar.
Seems like I went through an additional person to get there. I think he made them at home seems like.

It is a sealed beam. I believe he said 100 watts per side and I wouldn't want to use them in town. I did get a PWM but hadn't got that far to install it when the beam took a hit.

The way he mounted it was that he split a hose and put it around the perimeter where the front of the light is and then pushed the beam in from the back and used permatex to glue it in to the beam.
He did charge me $300.00 for the set which did seem a bit pricey.

It only says, made in the u.s.a. on the back is all, no numbers.
It is a GE.
Definitely wouldn't need the headlights with these babies.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 27 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Let's get into the real world. 100W lights mounted low in the fog light position are useless as either fog lights (too bright, too much glare) or driving lights (too low for effective range, too much glare for oncoming drivers), and actually REDUCE your ability to see at any distance but right on top of 'em. This isn't my opinion, it's lighting 101 and eyesight 101. Why do you think the off-road racers have their driving lights mounted as high as possible? Those clowns who drive around with their fog lights on all the time are actually making it more difficult to see down the road. What they ARE doing is telling everyone else several things. "Hey, look at me, I'm rich enough (and cool enough) to have fog lights", and "Hey, look at me, I'm dumb enough to follow all those other sheep who think the way I do. "Oh, and I don't give a flying &#@* about other people on the road". Besides all that, using lights mounted that low for headlights is both illegal and stupid. They're below the minimum height, the lights themselves are probably NOT DOT approved for that application, and they give the nice (and possibly bored) officer a reason to stop you. I know I don't need that, and I'm guessing you don't, either.

End of rant. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 27 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 27 2010, 03:48 PM) *

I'm actually working on a system to directly replace the old light / lens with a sealed bean unit.

I love sealed bean units. Just beware that under some conditions they can be dangerously explosive because of the internal gas buildup. Kind of like dead armadillos in the desert. (Warning, do not kick the armadillos.)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 27 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #10

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Harbor Freight sells a set of lights that are only slightly larger than our fogs. Something like $15. I haven't tried them yet but will sometime soon. Also, if all you need is a landing light, pick up the phone book and call any local small airport and ask for the local shop mechanic. He'll sell you one. I googled Piper aircraft landing light and found pages of sight with lights from $20 up.
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post May 27 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,147

The old aircraft lights I remember were all current hogs. We used to mount them on our trucks.

If you are going to run them, make sure you have enough alternator to power them.

There are much more efficient solutions out there now.
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post May 27 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #12

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 27 2010, 06:01 PM) *

Let's get into the real world. 100W lights mounted low in the fog light position are useless as either fog lights (too bright, too much glare) or driving lights (too low for effective range, too much glare for oncoming drivers), and actually REDUCE your ability to see at any distance but right on top of 'em. This isn't my opinion, it's lighting 101 and eyesight 101. Why do you think the off-road racers have their driving lights mounted as high as possible? Those clowns who drive around with their fog lights on all the time are actually making it more difficult to see down the road. What they ARE doing is telling everyone else several things. "Hey, look at me, I'm rich enough (and cool enough) to have fog lights", and "Hey, look at me, I'm dumb enough to follow all those other sheep who think the way I do. "Oh, and I don't give a flying &#@* about other people on the road". Besides all that, using lights mounted that low for headlights is both illegal and stupid. They're below the minimum height, the lights themselves are probably NOT DOT approved for that application, and they give the nice (and possibly bored) officer a reason to stop you. I know I don't need that, and I'm guessing you don't, either.

End of rant. The Cap'n

The Cap'n never disappoints me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 27 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #13

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 27 2010, 08:57 PM) *

End of rant. The Cap'n

The Cap'n never disappoints me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Always fun to read a good rant!
+Quote Post
realred914
post May 27 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #14

i drive around most of the time with my stock fog lights on, makes the small 914 much more visibable in day time with out popping up head lamps. dont care about no lighting 101, basic common sense says to me it is a good idea, the more visable you are the better.

hey look at me, I am over here, dont run into me, cause I am important enough to not be hit by someone that may otherwise not see me. There is lots of dumb sheep people out there that dont give a flying &#@* about other people, so they dont pay attention to the road, the extra visability the fog lights provide is important.

I must be rich to afford several cars with fog lights, yet somehow I dont feel rich.

I am sure glad they raised the headlight hieght requirement, else everyone would be stupid like I am when ever i drive my 1958 LOWLIGHT VW Ghia, the one they produced the few years prior to the federal hieght requirement change. I wonder if driving the later year model, high light Ghia would make me smarter?

End smart assness

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post May 27 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #15

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Rand @ May 27 2010, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 27 2010, 03:48 PM) *

I'm actually working on a system to directly replace the old light / lens with a sealed bean unit.

I love sealed bean units. Just beware that under some conditions they can be dangerously explosive because of the internal gas buildup. Kind of like dead armadillos in the desert. (Warning, do not kick the armadillos.)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Also... do not stare down armadillos at night while in a tent, they will approach at staggering speed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

QUOTE(realred914 @ May 28 2010, 12:17 AM) *

i drive around most of the time with my stock fog lights on, makes the small 914 much more visibable in day time with out popping up head lamps. dont care about no lighting 101, basic common sense says to me it is a good idea, the more visable you are the better.

hey look at me, I am over here, dont run into me, cause I am important enough to not be hit by someone that may otherwise not see me.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Especially with the whole "HELLO I'm over here; (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) in my micro 914; don't run into me!!!"
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 27 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,407

End of rant. The Cap'n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) What he said. (kinda)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 27 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #17

Ski Bum

As has been said here over and over again, "we are here because we love 914's and do what you want, it is your car!", it frusterates me when I hear people looking for information only to be shot down because they want something different than someone else or don't like what they are thinking about doing to thier car!

It is not about you!! People want info, thats why we are all here!!

Why cant we all help each other out??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 27 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,407

Nobody is shooting anyone down. If you want to do something to your car and I think it would be wrong to do or worse yet unsafe, I will say so. You don't have to agree with me. Nor I with you. Do what you want, it's your car. I'm entitled to my opinion. That's why they call this a forum.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 27 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #19

Ski Bum

Those clowns

What they ARE doing is telling everyone else several things. "Hey, look at me, I'm rich enough (and cool enough) to have fog lights", and "Hey, look at me, I'm dumb enough to follow all those other sheep who think the way I do. "Oh, and I don't give a flying &#@* about other people on the road".

using lights mounted that low for headlights is both illegal and stupid.

No body said they were going to point them up like the stock 4X4's behind me!!

They are asking a specific question about something that exists and has been sold for many years! Why not be nice and either answer the question or dont!
+Quote Post
realred914
post May 27 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 27 2010, 10:40 PM) *

Nobody is shooting anyone down. If you want to do something to your car and I think it would be wrong to do or worse yet unsafe, I will say so. You don't have to agree with me. Nor I with you. Do what you want, it's your car. I'm entitled to my opinion. That's why they call this a forum.

"Let see if you run fog lights all the time your: "clowns, dumb, like sheep, dont give a flying $@#* and stupid" Nah no one could possibly be shooting anyone elses idea down, could not happen, no way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:25 PM