Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Since I lost this person's contact information/email, I'm trying to get ahold of the fella who was making the foglights that had the lights from an airplane mounted into them. Apparently he had worked at a airport at some point. I was thinking his first name was Sergio, but I could be wrong on that. I recall he was from CA.
I had one light take a dump and need of a replacement is why.
Anyone know of this person. I was thinking this site is where I oringinally found out about them.

LK
Eric_Shea
Martin?
partwerks
That name doesn't ring a bell. I think his last name was a Spanish name as well and from CA
I'm pretty sure someone on this club is where I originally found out about it.
realred914
might take the bad light to a local airport maintance shop and see if it can be sourced that way or use the trusty internet, see if you cant find a name or part number on teh unit you have and see if it comes up in a search.

good luck

PS let us know, that sounds like that ought to be one heck of a bright light!!!
Mikey914
QUOTE(realred914 @ May 27 2010, 03:23 PM) *

might take the bad light to a local airport maintance shop and see if it can be sourced that way or use the trusty internet, see if you cant find a name or part number on teh unit you have and see if it comes up in a search.

good luck

PS let us know, that sounds like that ought to be one heck of a bright light!!!

I'm actually working on a system to directly replace the old light / lens with a sealed bean unit. I did this inthe 80's with my car. Worked great. I plan to make the rubber to hold the light in too. I'll PM you a little later.
-Mark
Jeffs9146
Call EASY Auto Wreckers in Emeryville, CA!

I got a set from them a few years back!

EASY Porsche

partwerks
That web site looks real familiar.
Seems like I went through an additional person to get there. I think he made them at home seems like.

It is a sealed beam. I believe he said 100 watts per side and I wouldn't want to use them in town. I did get a PWM but hadn't got that far to install it when the beam took a hit.

The way he mounted it was that he split a hose and put it around the perimeter where the front of the light is and then pushed the beam in from the back and used permatex to glue it in to the beam.
He did charge me $300.00 for the set which did seem a bit pricey.

It only says, made in the u.s.a. on the back is all, no numbers.
It is a GE.
Definitely wouldn't need the headlights with these babies.
Cap'n Krusty
Let's get into the real world. 100W lights mounted low in the fog light position are useless as either fog lights (too bright, too much glare) or driving lights (too low for effective range, too much glare for oncoming drivers), and actually REDUCE your ability to see at any distance but right on top of 'em. This isn't my opinion, it's lighting 101 and eyesight 101. Why do you think the off-road racers have their driving lights mounted as high as possible? Those clowns who drive around with their fog lights on all the time are actually making it more difficult to see down the road. What they ARE doing is telling everyone else several things. "Hey, look at me, I'm rich enough (and cool enough) to have fog lights", and "Hey, look at me, I'm dumb enough to follow all those other sheep who think the way I do. "Oh, and I don't give a flying &#@* about other people on the road". Besides all that, using lights mounted that low for headlights is both illegal and stupid. They're below the minimum height, the lights themselves are probably NOT DOT approved for that application, and they give the nice (and possibly bored) officer a reason to stop you. I know I don't need that, and I'm guessing you don't, either.

End of rant. The Cap'n
Rand
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 27 2010, 03:48 PM) *

I'm actually working on a system to directly replace the old light / lens with a sealed bean unit.

I love sealed bean units. Just beware that under some conditions they can be dangerously explosive because of the internal gas buildup. Kind of like dead armadillos in the desert. (Warning, do not kick the armadillos.)
laugh.gif
bandjoey
Harbor Freight sells a set of lights that are only slightly larger than our fogs. Something like $15. I haven't tried them yet but will sometime soon. Also, if all you need is a landing light, pick up the phone book and call any local small airport and ask for the local shop mechanic. He'll sell you one. I googled Piper aircraft landing light and found pages of sight with lights from $20 up.
monkeyboy
The old aircraft lights I remember were all current hogs. We used to mount them on our trucks.

If you are going to run them, make sure you have enough alternator to power them.

There are much more efficient solutions out there now.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 27 2010, 06:01 PM) *

Let's get into the real world. 100W lights mounted low in the fog light position are useless as either fog lights (too bright, too much glare) or driving lights (too low for effective range, too much glare for oncoming drivers), and actually REDUCE your ability to see at any distance but right on top of 'em. This isn't my opinion, it's lighting 101 and eyesight 101. Why do you think the off-road racers have their driving lights mounted as high as possible? Those clowns who drive around with their fog lights on all the time are actually making it more difficult to see down the road. What they ARE doing is telling everyone else several things. "Hey, look at me, I'm rich enough (and cool enough) to have fog lights", and "Hey, look at me, I'm dumb enough to follow all those other sheep who think the way I do. "Oh, and I don't give a flying &#@* about other people on the road". Besides all that, using lights mounted that low for headlights is both illegal and stupid. They're below the minimum height, the lights themselves are probably NOT DOT approved for that application, and they give the nice (and possibly bored) officer a reason to stop you. I know I don't need that, and I'm guessing you don't, either.

End of rant. The Cap'n

The Cap'n never disappoints me. smile.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 27 2010, 08:57 PM) *

End of rant. The Cap'n

The Cap'n never disappoints me. smile.gif

agree.gif Always fun to read a good rant!
realred914
i drive around most of the time with my stock fog lights on, makes the small 914 much more visibable in day time with out popping up head lamps. dont care about no lighting 101, basic common sense says to me it is a good idea, the more visable you are the better.

hey look at me, I am over here, dont run into me, cause I am important enough to not be hit by someone that may otherwise not see me. There is lots of dumb sheep people out there that dont give a flying &#@* about other people, so they dont pay attention to the road, the extra visability the fog lights provide is important.

I must be rich to afford several cars with fog lights, yet somehow I dont feel rich.

I am sure glad they raised the headlight hieght requirement, else everyone would be stupid like I am when ever i drive my 1958 LOWLIGHT VW Ghia, the one they produced the few years prior to the federal hieght requirement change. I wonder if driving the later year model, high light Ghia would make me smarter?

End smart assness

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif lol-2.gif headbang.gif flag.gif chowtime.gif cheer.gif piratenanner.gif santa_smiley.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif unsure.gif

Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(Rand @ May 27 2010, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 27 2010, 03:48 PM) *

I'm actually working on a system to directly replace the old light / lens with a sealed bean unit.

I love sealed bean units. Just beware that under some conditions they can be dangerously explosive because of the internal gas buildup. Kind of like dead armadillos in the desert. (Warning, do not kick the armadillos.)
laugh.gif

Also... do not stare down armadillos at night while in a tent, they will approach at staggering speed. unsure.gif

QUOTE(realred914 @ May 28 2010, 12:17 AM) *

i drive around most of the time with my stock fog lights on, makes the small 914 much more visibable in day time with out popping up head lamps. dont care about no lighting 101, basic common sense says to me it is a good idea, the more visable you are the better.

hey look at me, I am over here, dont run into me, cause I am important enough to not be hit by someone that may otherwise not see me.

agree.gif Especially with the whole "HELLO I'm over here; bye1.gif in my micro 914; don't run into me!!!"
Elliot Cannon

End of rant. The Cap'n

agree.gif What he said. (kinda)
Jeffs9146
As has been said here over and over again, "we are here because we love 914's and do what you want, it is your car!", it frusterates me when I hear people looking for information only to be shot down because they want something different than someone else or don't like what they are thinking about doing to thier car!

It is not about you!! People want info, thats why we are all here!!

Why cant we all help each other out??? confused24.gif beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
Nobody is shooting anyone down. If you want to do something to your car and I think it would be wrong to do or worse yet unsafe, I will say so. You don't have to agree with me. Nor I with you. Do what you want, it's your car. I'm entitled to my opinion. That's why they call this a forum.
Jeffs9146
Those clowns

What they ARE doing is telling everyone else several things. "Hey, look at me, I'm rich enough (and cool enough) to have fog lights", and "Hey, look at me, I'm dumb enough to follow all those other sheep who think the way I do. "Oh, and I don't give a flying &#@* about other people on the road".

using lights mounted that low for headlights is both illegal and stupid.

No body said they were going to point them up like the stock 4X4's behind me!!

They are asking a specific question about something that exists and has been sold for many years! Why not be nice and either answer the question or dont!
realred914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 27 2010, 10:40 PM) *

Nobody is shooting anyone down. If you want to do something to your car and I think it would be wrong to do or worse yet unsafe, I will say so. You don't have to agree with me. Nor I with you. Do what you want, it's your car. I'm entitled to my opinion. That's why they call this a forum.

"Let see if you run fog lights all the time your: "clowns, dumb, like sheep, dont give a flying $@#* and stupid" Nah no one could possibly be shooting anyone elses idea down, could not happen, no way. smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Jeffs9146
He didn't say he was going to be running them all the time! I just get frusterated by all of the jabs!!
Jeffs9146
The old aircraft lights I remember were all current hogs. We used to mount them on our trucks.

If you are going to run them, make sure you have enough alternator to power them.

This is productive!!! beerchug.gif
realred914
ar15.gif smilie_pokal.gif smoke.gif laugh.gif cheer.gif chowtime.gif drunk.gif
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 27 2010, 11:06 PM) *

This is productive!!! beerchug.gif

heavey wires and relays may be in order to, depending on teh current draw. drunk.gif piratenanner.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
tomeric914
I paid $18 for my fog lights at the local FLAPS and use them as DRLs because I do care about other people on the road. Does this make me sheepishly rich? sheeplove.gif
BAM
Hi LK,

You are looking for Diving Lights like these right?

I do not have a completed set in stock, however I do have a set of the halogen bulbs to convert your fog lights. Shoot me an email, I do have some options for you.

Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks,
JP
RJMII
Hey LK... post a pic of the lightbulbs?

maybe someone will recognize them and have a p/n.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.