Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any value to a '74 1.8 electrical harness, Engine harness is gone, prepping for new
rohar
post May 30 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

Car's getting a water cooled swap. I'm in the process of cleaning up/repainting almost everything. When all is done, it'll receive an entirely new electrical harness. Is there a reason I shouldn't take a set of face cutters to the existing harness and go nutz?

[edit]

just to clarify, this is the chassis harness, the engine harness went with the engine
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 31 2010, 03:24 AM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(rohar @ May 30 2010, 10:03 PM) *

Car's getting a water cooled swap. I'm in the process of cleaning up/repainting almost everything. When all is done, it'll receive an entirely new electrical harness. Is there a reason I shouldn't take a set of face cutters to the existing harness and go nutz?

[edit]

just to clarify, this is the chassis harness, the engine harness went with the engine

Please don't. You don't know what you need, and anything you add for the new motor should be able to be added by hooking to an existing wire.

Having fixed many electrical problems in the past, make SURE you understand what you are cutting BEFORE you cut.

+Quote Post
rohar
post May 31 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #3

Ok, I obviously didn't explain the extent of what's happening to this car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

It's more than a swap, more like full rebuild at this point. Somehow I get hung up on the engine as that's the part I'm working on now.

It's getting a completely new electrical harness after paint. I'm pretty dead set on it.

Is there any demand for OE chassis harnesses? It's of no use to me.
+Quote Post
markb
post May 31 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #4

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

IIRC, some of the connectors are hard to get. I wouldn't toss it. You might see if Bowlsby wants it.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 31 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

You can pull the entire harness out intact in about 45 minutes or less. I'm not sure why you're willingly making unnecessary work for yourself. 99% of the cars on here are running factory wiring and don't have any problems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

New isn't always better.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 31 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2010, 11:36 AM) *

You can pull the entire harness out intact in about 45 minutes or less. I'm not sure why you're willingly making unnecessary work for yourself. 99% of the cars on here are running factory wiring and don't have any problems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

New isn't always better.

In the case of wiring harnesses in 914s, it not only not always better, it's almost NEVER better.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 31 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

If you are going to rewire your car. Please remove the harness and save it for a needy 914 owner.
+Quote Post
rohar
post May 31 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #8

There's so much new gear going into the car that about 4 of the original wires would be useable. Besides, paint will be a HELL of a lot easier with all the wires removed so a clean minimalist chassis harness just seems to sense.

It's coming out whole. Gimme a couple of days and it'll be available if anyone's interested;)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:00 PM