Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any value to a '74 1.8 electrical harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rohar
Car's getting a water cooled swap. I'm in the process of cleaning up/repainting almost everything. When all is done, it'll receive an entirely new electrical harness. Is there a reason I shouldn't take a set of face cutters to the existing harness and go nutz?

[edit]

just to clarify, this is the chassis harness, the engine harness went with the engine
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rohar @ May 30 2010, 10:03 PM) *

Car's getting a water cooled swap. I'm in the process of cleaning up/repainting almost everything. When all is done, it'll receive an entirely new electrical harness. Is there a reason I shouldn't take a set of face cutters to the existing harness and go nutz?

[edit]

just to clarify, this is the chassis harness, the engine harness went with the engine

Please don't. You don't know what you need, and anything you add for the new motor should be able to be added by hooking to an existing wire.

Having fixed many electrical problems in the past, make SURE you understand what you are cutting BEFORE you cut.

rohar
Ok, I obviously didn't explain the extent of what's happening to this car wink.gif

It's more than a swap, more like full rebuild at this point. Somehow I get hung up on the engine as that's the part I'm working on now.

It's getting a completely new electrical harness after paint. I'm pretty dead set on it.

Is there any demand for OE chassis harnesses? It's of no use to me.
markb
IIRC, some of the connectors are hard to get. I wouldn't toss it. You might see if Bowlsby wants it.
McMark
You can pull the entire harness out intact in about 45 minutes or less. I'm not sure why you're willingly making unnecessary work for yourself. 99% of the cars on here are running factory wiring and don't have any problems. confused24.gif

New isn't always better.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2010, 11:36 AM) *

You can pull the entire harness out intact in about 45 minutes or less. I'm not sure why you're willingly making unnecessary work for yourself. 99% of the cars on here are running factory wiring and don't have any problems. confused24.gif

New isn't always better.

In the case of wiring harnesses in 914s, it not only not always better, it's almost NEVER better.

The Cap'n
Mike Bellis
If you are going to rewire your car. Please remove the harness and save it for a needy 914 owner.
rohar
There's so much new gear going into the car that about 4 of the original wires would be useable. Besides, paint will be a HELL of a lot easier with all the wires removed so a clean minimalist chassis harness just seems to sense.

It's coming out whole. Gimme a couple of days and it'll be available if anyone's interested;)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.