Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matsuda collection Limited Edition coming to autoatlanta, Thank you Jeff Bowlesby
copersucar
post Jun 23 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,517
Region Association: None

Wow..wow..keep those pictures comming !!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Alex.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 23 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #42

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 23 2010, 12:52 PM) *

Looks like a fun trip, but where's the Liederhosen (sp?) & Suspenders & Little Brimmed Felt Hat?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Somebody needs to get George a pack of white Haynes crew socks or something - STAT!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously though - I'm no CanAm expert, & I thought that the LEs came with painted Mahle 4-lugs, but those are painted Fuchs 2L alloys - wussup wid dat!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I ask because I bought a set of 5 Fuchs 2Ls last year to restore to 2L OE finish to "recreate" what originally came on my 73 2L - which all had been painted Phoenix Red like a Cremescicle - including a good pale green zinc-chromate primer on the wheels first - that I assumed was done by a DAPO or DAP+AD.

However, if they were a legit option on Cremescicles instead of Mahles, should I not F them up & instead save them for a LE guy needing them, & be looking for another set of Fuchs 2Ls to restore for mine?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

This be they .... BTW another DAPO did paint them all over with silver & all but the one in the pic below had been stripped of the silver by the seller/PO ....

Attached Image

George, Jeff, DaveP, others - Plz weigh in & advise me before I do something stupid - if indeed these wheels need to be preserved for "the cause" as is!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If the latter, then I could always trade to an LE guy/gal needing them, if they sourced a comparable restorable set of OE finish Fuchs 2Ls I suppose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 23 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

Jeff will give you the straight scoop but these fuchs were specially ordered for the matsuda car. All of the others had mahles. Also side vinyl was specially ordered for this car as well

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 23 2010, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 23 2010, 12:52 PM) *

Looks like a fun trip, but where's the Liederhosen (sp?) & Suspenders & Little Brimmed Felt Hat?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Somebody needs to get George a pack of white Haynes crew socks or something - STAT!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously though - I'm no CanAm expert, & I thought that the LEs came with painted Mahle 4-lugs, but those are painted Fuchs 2L alloys - wussup wid dat!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I ask because I bought a set of 5 Fuchs 2Ls last year to restore to 2L OE finish to "recreate" what originally came on my 73 2L - which all had been painted Phoenix Red like a Cremescicle - including a good pale green zinc-chromate primer on the wheels first - that I assumed was done by a DAPO or DAP+AD.

However, if they were a legit option on Cremescicles instead of Mahles, should I not F them up & instead save them for a LE guy needing them, & be looking for another set of Fuchs 2Ls to restore for mine?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

This be they .... BTW another DAPO did paint them all over with silver & all but the one in the pic below had been stripped of the silver by the seller/PO ....

Attached Image

George, Jeff, DaveP, others - Plz weigh in & advise me before I do something stupid - if indeed these wheels need to be preserved for "the cause" as is!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If the latter, then I could always trade to an LE guy/gal needing them, if they sourced a comparable restorable set of OE finish Fuchs 2Ls I suppose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post
john grier
post Jun 23 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 2,265
Region Association: South East States

George, that is great, I hope you had a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) time,

I really enjoyed seeing the Georgia plates on it.
Wonder what all the europeans thought when they saw that.

John
+Quote Post
davep
post Jun 23 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #45

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I believe that in some markets that the Fuchs came painted as the LE Mahles did. I would not alter the painted Fuchs if I had them. Remember that the LE was really a North American version. There were other versions such as the GT in Germany, and I believe the SL in Japan.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 23 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #46

TMI....

QUOTE(john grier @ Jun 23 2010, 04:30 PM) *

I really enjoyed seeing the Georgia plates on it.
Wonder what all the europeans thought when they saw that.

Probably "Cracker"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 23 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #47

TMI....

QUOTE(davep @ Jun 23 2010, 04:39 PM) *

I believe that in some markets that the Fuchs came painted as the LE Mahles did. I would not alter the painted Fuchs if I had them. Remember that the LE was really a North American version. There were other versions such as the GT in Germany, and I believe the SL in Japan.

Thanx Dave. As George said, maybe Jeff can also shed more light. It makes sense that if the Matsushida SL could be ordered with painted Fuchs 2L wheels, then so could one from anywhere else in the world one would think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

On my 5 wheels - 3 are date stamped 11/73 & 2 12/73 - so I supposed they could've been fitted to a 74 MY LE Creamsicle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If I don't strip & restore them to "standard OE finish (satin background with semi-polished petals & rims & anodized), then my problem will be try to trade them or sell/buy another set of "regular OE finish" Fuchs @L's for mine to restore/refinish.

That's because mine is an early-73 MY (8/72 mfgr.) 914-2.0/"914 S" which came with the wheels as part of the full compliment of the Appearance & Performance Groups' options (Sport & Comfort groups in Euro-speak).

I just don't think orange wheels will pass CW muster on my L80E 73! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
veltror
post Jun 24 2010, 02:49 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 8,978

That is the first time I have seen such an empty space outside Mittelmotor...
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 24 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #49

914 Guru

QUOTE(veltror @ Jun 24 2010, 01:49 AM) *

That is the first time I have seen such an empty space outside Mittelmotor...

Michael is a very genuine and soft spoken guy, no wonder his business is booming. It was at the end of the day and all of the cars were inside.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 24 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #50

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Tom, everythig I know is here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

The photos I have of the 2 914 SLs (Japan market) both have painted FUCHS.

USA LEs and ROW GTs have the Mahles.

I have seen other wheels painted but they all appear to be customized and not factory original.

George, you say the wheels for 14438 were special ordered? I think they were part of the factory package for Japan, but I have no proof, just the two Japan cars in photos.

The document below is from the 1974 S+T manual which depicts a prototype 914 Can Am, but the car obviously changed details when it went into production, so we cannot be sure that this document is accurate.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 24 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #51

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

here's a pic from the DGVWPB

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 24 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #52

914 Guru

you are the authority not me. If the fuchs were standard for Japan along with the side vinyl then they were standard. The certificate of authenticity says that the only two options were m 193 standard headlights instead of halogen, and m 779 which the factory states is the can am equipment for europe and the rest of the world!!!!

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 24 2010, 07:36 AM) *

I have seen other wheels painted but they all appear to be customized and not factory original.

George, you say the wheels for 14438 were special ordered? I think they were part of the factory package for Japan, but I have no proof, just the two Japan cars in photos.

The document below is from the 1974 S+T manual which depicts a prototype 914 Can Am, but the car obviously changed details when it went into production, so we cannot be sure that this document is accurate.

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 24 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #53

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Thats how I read it too. The Fuchs/vinyl musta been part of the Japan-market 914 Can Am equipment.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 24 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

Wow you are fast. You have already changed ownership of this car to us!

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 24 2010, 01:09 PM) *

Thats how I read it too. The Fuchs/vinyl musta been part of the Japan-market 914 Can Am equipment.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 24 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #55

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 24 2010, 07:36 AM) *

I also note that the top pic of Jeff's post, the one in the S&T doc & the one posted by Gustl/Wolfgang all show it with the sail chrome & vinyl, while the Creamsicle is the usual black trim & no vinyl but with painted Fuchs 2L pretty much exactly like the wheels I bought last year 7/09 & await resto or??

But why does the COA for George's new baby say 3/1/75 & not 74??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So is the consensus for my Phoenix Red Fuchs 2L set to try to find a user of them in that finish, & me sell/buy or swap to get another set of "standard finish" 2L wheels?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Geesh - if so, more logistics work to find a set & sell/trade those! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

... Mark ???
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 24 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #56

TMI....

Jeff - it never fails that I learn new stuff from you & your multiple sites every time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Anyone know if this pale green zinc-chromate (??) type primer under the Phoenix Red is the way the factory painted the Fuchs 2L for Japan or wherever? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I know that greenish zinc-chromate primer was commonly available & used in the 1970's, & commonly seen on aluminum alloy aircraft parts - but am not sure if that is indicative that te set I have was a factory prpered/painted set of Fuchs??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Here's a close up of one of my wheels where the seller "experimented" with removing some of the Phoenix Red with acetone, that full wheel set, as compared to the pic of the Creamsicle with this type which Jeff posted for comparison.

My wheels -
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Jeff's pic -
Attached Image

BTW - proper restoration of these to use on any LE/SL/GT or clone would require a clean-up, rash smoothed & repaint (old paint has some staining, oil, chips, etc.). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I figured, either way it needs resto & I had planned to resto to the satin/polished OE finish as appropriate for my 73 2L - not thinking that they might be a "real factory set" for a "real" Creamsicle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jun 25 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #57

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

Hey George

I have actually seen this car in person here in Japan several years ago while the Matsuda museum was still open...the next time I make a trip back home I will see if I can dig out the old pictures of the car (non digital) and try to scan them for you..from what I remember they had 2 914's and that yellow 916 in the collection not to mention the rest of the incredible cars I spent the entire day drooling over....it was awesome!! Too bad all the cars were later on sold...I do still have the original Matsuda collection book here in Japanese and a little funny English, but its black and white and has no color photos....
+Quote Post
type47
post Jun 25 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #58

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 24 2010, 04:26 PM) *

But why does the COA for George's new baby say 3/1/75 & not 74??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

??? Do you mean May 75? (Mai 75) would be in model year '74.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #59

TMI....

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 25 2010, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 24 2010, 04:26 PM) *

??? Do you mean May 75? (Mai 75) would be in model year '74.

Maybe Mai/May Jim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) - You've got the pre-dating bass-ackwards though, cuz either way it's 75 MY not 74.

Model Years run approx. Aug. of preceding calendar year through July of same calendar year of the MY.

For example, my early 73 MY 2L was built 8/72 & Steve G.'s Sahara Beige was Mar. 73 IIRC.

An LE 74 MY should be built Feb - May 74 according to Jeff's LE website, so something is off on that, unless it was a late importation date to Japan?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #60

TMI....

So Jeff - I see you on there - so Q on pic from your LE website ...

What was up with the pic of a Cremesicle "coming home from dealer" with standard satin/polished finished Fuchs, as well as sail/rollbar vinyl & silver trim, Porsche side decal doesn't wrap the fenders, etc.? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

... I suppose it could be as simple as a wheel swap at the dealer, but wondered if the current or any PO's told you what, how & why they changed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

.... or is it one of those LE-clones from the personalization program?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That was the only US example I saw of an LE with any Fuchs on there, other than the ones of the Japan 914-SL Bee & Creamsicle you posted pix above.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 03:41 PM