Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matsuda collection Limited Edition coming to autoatlanta, Thank you Jeff Bowlesby
SirAndy
post Jun 25 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #61

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 25 2010, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 25 2010, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 24 2010, 04:26 PM) *

But why does the COA for George's new baby say 3/1/75 & not 74??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

??? Do you mean May 75? (Mai 75) would be in model year '74.

Maybe Mai/May Jim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) - You've got the pre-dating bass-ackwards though, cuz either way it's 75 MY not 74.

Model Years run approx. Aug. of preceding calendar year through July of same calendar year of the MY.

For example, my early 73 MY 2L was built 8/72 & Steve G.'s Sahara Beige was Mar. 73 IIRC.

An LE 74 MY should be built Feb - May 74 according to Jeff's LE website, so something is off on that, unless it was a late importation date to Japan?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Because none of you guys bothered to actually translate the German COA correctly.

The date in question is the "Rechnungsdatum" which simply translates into the date the vehicle was first sold ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&search=Rechnungsdatum
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 25 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #62

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

An LE 74 MY should be built Feb - May 74 according to Jeff's LE website, so something is off on that, unless it was a late importation date to Japan?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

VIN 14438 has the lowest Chassis No. and is one of the earliest 914 CanAm VINs on the Registry. This car was built early in the cycle.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 25 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #63

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 25 2010, 03:12 PM) *

So Jeff - I see you on there - so Q on pic from your LE website ...

What was up with the pic of a Cremesicle "coming home from dealer" with standard satin/polished finished Fuchs, as well as sail/rollbar vinyl & silver trim, Porsche side decal doesn't wrap the fenders, etc.? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... I suppose it could be as simple as a wheel swap at the dealer, but wondered if the current or any PO's told you what, how & why they changed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

.... or is it one of those LE-clones from the personalization program?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That was the only US example I saw of an LE with any Fuchs on there, other than the ones of the Japan 914-SL Bee & Creamsicle you posted pix above.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I think that info is on the site too Tom, this is a very complicated car. Thats a photo of VIN 21331, PCNA does not recognize it as a bonafide LE. It has the correct 914 LE paint code U2V9, but PCNA records says it did not have the Can Am Equipment package...IN SPITE of the dealership window sticker that documents that it has the equipment, and as verified by the car itself. The Targa bar vinyl delete apparently was part of the equipment package, hence the vinyl/bright trim. The wheels were apparantly swapped at the dealers, perhaps at the purchasers direction, but its not known, the car currently has the correct Mahles.

According to a few on this site that worked at dealerships during the day, the side stripes were not applied at the factory but shipped unmounted with the car, which was coated in Cosmoline for the float over here. During dealer prep the cosmoline was removed, and the stripes were to be installed at the dealers...so individuals installed them differently, or not at all if the buyers did not want them installed.

There are 3-4 others cars in this category at the bottom of the LE Regostry page that have been located. Correct paint, incorrect equipment, not as well documented as 21331.

Here is a well-done wannabe (fake) or tribute Creamsicle...your choice...a 1976 model.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 25 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

wow that would be GREAT! Thank you very much. When I go and get the car after the 5th of July when it arrives I will have more pictures.

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 25 2010, 04:38 AM) *

Hey George

I have actually seen this car in person here in Japan several years ago while the Matsuda museum was still open...the next time I make a trip back home I will see if I can dig out the old pictures of the car (non digital) and try to scan them for you..from what I remember they had 2 914's and that yellow 916 in the collection not to mention the rest of the incredible cars I spent the entire day drooling over....it was awesome!! Too bad all the cars were later on sold...I do still have the original Matsuda collection book here in Japanese and a little funny English, but its black and white and has no color photos....

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #65

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2010, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 25 2010, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 24 2010, 04:26 PM) *

But why does the COA for George's new baby say 3/1/75 & not 74??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

??? Do you mean May 75? (Mai 75) would be in model year '74.

Maybe Mai/May Jim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) - You've got the pre-dating bass-ackwards though, cuz either way it's 75 MY not 74.

Model Years run approx. Aug. of preceding calendar year through July of same calendar year of the MY.

For example, my early 73 MY 2L was built 8/72 & Steve G.'s Sahara Beige was Mar. 73 IIRC.

Because none of you guys bothered to actually translate the German COA correctly.

The date in question is the "Rechnungsdatum" which simply translates into the date the vehicle was first sold ...

http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&search=Rechnungsdatum

Okay - 1st of all Andy - I didn't even try to translate it - primarily because I got indoctrinated over the past year by PCNA that they do NOT put a first sold date on the COAs, so I presumed that would be the case for Zerts. too - particularly since a first sold date a year after production makes absolutely NO sense & is useless in documenting the 914's provenance as an LE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

2nd - why would a first sold date be about a year after mfgr.?? Certainly the ship got there well before that, so were sales that slow in Japan in 74/75 so as to have one of only 20 914-SL's sit in the dealership for a year???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #66

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 25 2010, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 25 2010, 03:12 PM) *

So Jeff - I see you on there - so Q on pic from your LE website ...

What was up with the pic of a Cremesicle "coming home from dealer" with standard satin/polished finished Fuchs, as well as sail/rollbar vinyl & silver trim, Porsche side decal doesn't wrap the fenders, etc.? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... I suppose it could be as simple as a wheel swap at the dealer, but wondered if the current or any PO's told you what, how & why they changed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

.... or is it one of those LE-clones from the personalization program?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That was the only US example I saw of an LE with any Fuchs on there, other than the ones of the Japan 914-SL Bee & Creamsicle you posted pix above.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I think that info is on the site too Tom, this is a very complicated car. Thats a photo of VIN 21331, PCNA does not recognize it as a bonafide LE. It has the correct 914 LE paint code U2V9, but PCNA records says it did not have the Can Am Equipment package...IN SPITE of the dealership window sticker that documents that it has the equipment, and as verified by the car itself. The Targa bar vinyl delete apparently was part of the equipment package, hence the vinyl/bright trim. The wheels were apparantly swapped at the dealers, perhaps at the purchasers direction, but its not known, the car currently has the correct Mahles.

According to a few on this site that worked at dealerships during the day, the side stripes were not applied at the factory but shipped unmounted with the car, which was coated in Cosmoline for the float over here. During dealer prep the cosmoline was removed, and the stripes were to be installed at the dealers...so individuals installed them differently, or not at all if the buyers did not want them installed.

There are 3-4 others cars in this category at the bottom of the LE Regostry page that have been located. Correct paint, incorrect equipment, not as well documented as 21331.

Here is a well-done wannabe (fake) or tribute Creamsicle...your choice...a 1976 model.

Thanx Jeff, I did read up on all that & that "undocumented LE" last night, but wasn't sure if that was the story on the Fuchs & vinyl/chrome trim. Maybe it just "escaped" the assy. line early without the full treatment! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Those Phoenix Red Fuchs I have actually came off of a P. Red 75, but the seller wasn't sure if they were original to that 914-2.0 per se, or if later painted by a PO or dealer, or swapped. So it may have been a non-L80E "tribute" under the personalization program in 75 MY, similar to what you say for the one above in L80E, but just in the case of the wheels.

Do you know of any special option code if a buyer had wanted to order "colored" or painted Fuchs 2L alloys? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... or would it have been just a "customer request" special order write-up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 25 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #67

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 25 2010, 03:33 PM) *
primarily because I got indoctrinated over the past year by PCNA that they do NOT put a first sold date on the COAs

German COAs do not come from PCNA ...

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 26 2010, 03:19 AM
Post #68

TMI....

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2010, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 25 2010, 03:33 PM) *
primarily because I got indoctrinated over the past year by PCNA that they do NOT put a first sold date on the COAs

German COAs do not come from PCNA ...

Yeah, I know that bud! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

... & I would think that the Germans would put a useful date to establish the 914-SL's date of MANUFACTURE to clearly establish the provenance & correct fitment of the car as the LE model for Japan, instead of a useless & possibly incorrect date of first sale - wouldn't you!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Furthermore, their Kardex records & records of sale are sometimes in error. They erroneously had mine as first sold in 9/73 - more than a year after the 8/72 build date at the VIN sticker & Chassis no. - as well as sold in Conn.! That was despite my Cal. DMV registration cards from 12/75 on showing first sold in CA on 11/9/72, & PCNA did change their records to correct that error, but not until after insisting that they were right, then getting copies of my documentation to the contrary & my taking it up with their customer care GM! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So Sir Andy - I am understandably sceptical of the "Holy Grail" info on either Zerts. or COAs, when they do not track with what common sense & logic suggests.

In this case, either there is documentation that it was not first sold in Japan until a year after mfgr., or else there is an earlier sale which makes sense & can be documented.

If it did indeed languish for a year - one of only 20 available - then the "why" is a valid question to ask.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:07 PM