Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

11 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Legend of the "914 S" & "914 SC", Myth or Fact?
Tom_T
post Jun 16 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #121

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(beech4rd @ Jun 16 2010, 07:32 PM) *

In the January 2006 edition of Classic and Sports Car, a British magazine, there is a comparison of the VW-Porsche 911SC and the Jensen-Healey. The SC is refered to as having the Sport and Comfort package-basically it's a 1973/4 2.0 with all the options except chrome bumpers. It's noted that Crayford charged 600GBP to convert a car to RHD.
There is a reference to Porsche Club GB 914 registry. (www.porscheclubgb.com)
Perhaps someone there knows.
The story also points out that a VW-Porsche 914/6 was more expensive in 1971 than a Jaguar E-Type V12. I wonder which is worth more now. Actually I don't- the Jag's worth considerably more.

Chris

The Euro "Sport and Comfort package" could be the basis for their "SC" - and is basically similar to the USA/Can Appearance Groups' options, except that the AG includes the chrome bumpers with foglights & chrome grills.

I think that the inclusion of the 2 options packages was discussed in the 2 articles in this book which I referenced above for the UK & Aussie 1970's articles in it.

Attached Image

The two articles on the UK "914SC" in it are:

1. Jan. 20 1973 "VW-Porsche 914SC Road Test" article from "MOTOR" (pg. 150)

2. April 1975 "914 SC the Very Practical Sports Car Road Test" article from "Modern Motor" (pg. 185)

Book info is "PORSCHE 914 - Ultimate Portfolio" paperback book, compiled by R.M. Clark, publ. by Brooklands Books ISBN 1-85520-4320 .

Thanx for the info! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Looks like maybe an old 50's Deux Chevot (sp?) in your avatar?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
72914S
post Jun 17 2010, 07:49 AM
Post #122

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

I put an "S" on the back of my `72 because of all the `73 up grades that have been added 2.0, side shift, front suspension, and gauges. I have a hardcover repair book entitled "Porsche Service 914 S 1969-72".
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jun 17 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #123

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Here in Japan where I now work and live, they called the 2.0 Liter model the S model here and in fact starting in 1973 they didn't even import the 1.7 and 1.8 L cars anymore, just the 2L cars and called them the S model. Emblems were the same as the European ones with the VW Porsche emblem on back.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 17 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #124

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 17 2010, 07:59 AM) *

Here in Japan where I now work and live, they called the 2.0 Liter model the S model here and in fact starting in 1973 they didn't even import the 1.7 and 1.8 L cars anymore, just the 2L cars and called them the S model. Emblems were the same as the European ones with the VW Porsche emblem on back.

Thanks Jamie for the Far East report.

OMG!!! This changes everything! Everyone post your Japanese 914 ad pronto. We have to get to the bottom of this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 17 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #125

TMI....

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 17 2010, 07:59 AM) *

Thanx Jaime, yes please do post anything you may come across on the Japanese "914 S" marketing program for info. I recall reading something about that in one or more of the various 914 books I have.

Apparently Porsche KG saw no problem with that "914 S" marketing nomenclature continuing through 1976 MY in a small market like Japan, or was it only for the short 6+/- months 72-73 that the Porsche+Audi "914 S" marketing program ran here in the US & Canada? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

URY914/Paul ( & ALL) - despite the fact that some posting here have chosen to make this topic thread into a debate on the validity of these non-badged model designations on the 914 2.0s & many other "side issues", the purpose of the topic is to provide historical information - yes, including ads, dealer sales brochures, etc. - as a single point where those interested can read up on what was around back then & the story behind it.

I guess we just have a lot of master debaters here, & even I'm guilty at times! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

However, the O&H Forum is set up to provide such information & documentation where & when available, not to stifle it.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 17 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #126

****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 17 2010, 01:47 PM) *

URY914/Paul ( & ALL) - despite the fact that some posting here have chosen to make this topic thread into a debate on the validity of these non-badged model designations on the 914 2.0s & many other "side issues", the purpose of the topic is to provide historical information - yes, including ads, dealer sales brochures, etc. - as a single point where those interested can read up on what was around back then & the story behind it.

Why is your comment directed at me? I'm not debating anything or anyone. This thread won't die and it should have long ago.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jun 17 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 9,209

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 17 2010, 07:03 PM) *

Why is your comment directed at me? I'm not debating anything or anyone. This thread won't die and it should have long ago.

................ury, and the other guys...Tom started this post in an attempt to obtain input from other 1972-73 -2.0 owners, and obtain facts, from them about the 914-S car designation/history..........most of you have ALREADY stated you have no intrest in this discussion , and would not make any further comments....That was about 3-4 pages ago...You guys with NO intrest , other than a compulsion to answer posts/create needless debates should just please shut up...post somewhere else. TOM as I said is trying to get input from those owners who have /had /know about the 914-S and THEIR history with their car. thank you.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 17 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #128

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 17 2010, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 17 2010, 07:03 PM) *

................ury, and the other guys...Tom started this post in an attempt to obtain input from other 1972-73 -2.0 owners, and obtain facts, from them about the 914-S car designation/history..........most of you have ALREADY stated you have no intrest in this discussion , and would not make any further comments....That was about 3-4 pages ago...You guys with NO intrest , other than a compulsion to answer posts/create needless debates should just please shut up...post somewhere else. TOM as I said is trying to get input from those owners who have /had /know about the 914-S and THEIR history with their car. thank you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 18 2010, 06:11 AM
Post #129

....Gee, I'm so sorry......I've posted in your thread.....it is not as if you are.....curing cancer here.....lighten the fuck up...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 18 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #130

TMI....

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 18 2010, 05:11 AM) *

....Gee, I'm so sorry......I've posted in your thread.....it is not as if you are.....curing cancer here.....lighten the fuck up...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Never said I was Pal! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 24 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #131

TMI....

Well apparently the folks at VW-Porsche thought our 914s were BOTH "coupes & convertibles" (roadsters/cabriolets) "at the same time," according to PKG factory issued information found at at Jeff Bowlsby's 914 Canam/LE website! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

<snipped from: http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/ & under 914-GT at the left bar with bold emphasis added by me>

Factory poster of the VW-Porsche 914 GT Bumblebee
http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/z914GTposter.jpg

Down in the leaves beneath the image of the car, the text of the poster is as follows:

Original German text:

100000 VW-Porsche 914

Sein ungewöhnliches Konzept hat ihn zum beliebtesten
Sportwagen seiner Klasse gemacht

Coupe und Cabriolet zugleich, mit Sicherheitsbügel und zwei
Kofferräumen. Sichere Straßenlage durch den Mittlemotor.

Sichern Sie sich einen 914 aus der begrenzten
numerierten Jubiläumsserie mit

Zweifarben‑Sonderlackierung (schwarz‑gelb oder weiß‑rot).

English translation:

100000 VW-Porsche 914

Its unique concept made it the most popular sports car of its class.

Coupe and Convertible at the same time, with a safety roll bar and two
trunks. Secure road handling because of the mid-engine.

Secure yourself a 914 from the limited numbered
Jubilee [Anniversary or Milestone celebration] series
with two‑color special paint schemes (black-yellow or white-red).

<end snip>

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 24 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #132

TMI....

More onthe "914-S" in Japan - as well as their 74 MY "914-SL" .....

Apparently their "SL" designation comes from "Sports Limited" for the limited edition or special edition 74 MY color scheme & special equipment - comparable to the 914-LE of the USA & Canada markets, & 914-GT of Europe & the rest of the world. Ergo we can postulate that the Japanese market's "914-S" signified "914 Sport" (or "Sports") - as opposed to the USA/Canada markets' "S" for "Super" as in the ads previously posted above.

The documentation below is from Matsuda Collection info. (also found at Jeff Bowlsby's 914 Canam/LE website with the link at my prior post above, but under 914-SL in the left sidebar). Note the reference to 2.0 model as 914-S & special edition 2.0's as 914-SL (as is the "Bumblebee" which George Hussey has just purchased in Germany from the former Matsuda Collection), with importation numbers of each in the box at the bottom (added by Jeff Bowlsby to highlight 914-SL).

Attached Image

George's "new" Acquisition - "Matsuda Bumblebee" 1974 MY "914-SL"
> more pix & info here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...107777&st=0

Attached Image Attached Image

A 1974 MY "Creamsicle" Japanese Market "914-SL"

Attached Image

Based on the Matsuda document above & Jaimie's prior posts then, any other 914 2.0 imported to Japan between the 1973-76 MYs would be considered a "914-S" in that market, but was still badged as the "standard" Euro-Land 914 2.0 models ....

Attached Image

The above is from a German ad, so maybe Jaime can post some pix of an actual example of a 914 2.0 "914-S" originally imported from the factory to Japan market? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

By the way, all of these exclusive 74 MY "Limited Edition" (LE) models were likewise never badged as "914-SL", "914-GT", "914-LE" nor "(14 Canam" either - just as was the case for the USA/Canada "914 S" of the 1973 MY. However, the LE's for US/Can will be designated by a specific option package in the Kardex & COA, along with a particular special paint code under color (as well as possibly for the 914-GT & 914-SL). Although, the later special badging was considered for one prototype of the model.according to Mr. Bowlsby's excellent research).

Look at the prototype Canam tail badging below (also from the Bowlsby Canam site under Prototypes) ....

Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 25 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #133

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Recognition of the 914S from DPD

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #134

TMI....

Thanx Jeff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

IIRC, some of the pix of options brochures on your website also referenced "914S".

As you can tell from the above, I spent most of yesterday evening perusing your 914LE website & found those things I posted above relative to the Japan "914-S" & "914-SL" models/marketing names. Thanx for your hard & long research on all! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

<edit add>
Apparently VW of America did too for their VPC division's AC, per this 73 MY brochure from Jeff's website:

Attached Image

... there may be others on Jeff's Classic 914 website also referencing the "914 S" model in US/Canada markets, &/or the "914SC" in UK/Commonwealth markets, &/or "914-S"/"914-SL" in Japan.

Feel free to add on posts here as an info resource on these models/marketing names, anything anyone else happens to come across!

+Quote Post
ME733
post Jun 25 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #135

.......THANK YOU ...Jeff B..,and TOM...the longer this post and thread exists the more information, reguarding the 914-S is revealed. It just takes time for research and information to come to light. way to go guys.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #136

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 25 2010, 03:09 PM) *

.......THANK YOU ...Jeff B..,and TOM...the longer this post and thread exists the more information, reguarding the 914-S is revealed. It just takes time for research and information to come to light. way to go guys.

Hey Murray, do you have any documentation on yours from the original dealer about the 914-S &/or badge you mentioned before (window sticker, bill of sale, invoice, pix of badge, etc.)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Those might be interesting to post here too.

I'd heard some folks back in the day say that their dealer invoice/BoS stated "914 S" under model - even if that wasn't the official model from Porsche KG/VW-Porsche, but I don't have anything on that in a pic or doc.

+Quote Post
ME733
post Jun 25 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #137

Tom....unfortunately the previous owners did not keep those records and information. They did keep records of parts and work performed...they were gearheads. Probably like (me) most other people you just never thought that any of that stuff would have any use or value in the future.and even so keeping up with it for (40) years. I will say the 914-S the S fits into the rear panel in perfect alignment.AND the holes in the panel have factory paint....I wonder IF the 2.0 emblem and the S emblem have the same stud/mounting points, are the mounting studs EXACTLY the same. their are no extra holes in the rear panel.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #138

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 25 2010, 04:17 PM) *

Tom....unfortunately the previous owners did not keep those records and information. They did keep records of parts and work performed...they were gearheads. Probably like (me) most other people you just never thought that any of that stuff would have any use or value in the future.and even so keeping up with it for (40) years. I will say the 914-S the S fits into the rear panel in perfect alignment.AND the holes in the panel have factory paint....I wonder IF the 2.0 emblem and the S emblem have the same stud/mounting points, are the mounting studs EXACTLY the same. their are no extra holes in the rear panel.

Funny you should mention that Murray, because I was pondering just how one might order parts from a dealer & either have them set up a "914 S" badge, or do it yer-sef at home.

The 914 & 2.0 attached as shown with 2 pins each as 2 separate badges, as in the pic below (last body shop had just de-pinned a replacement later style plastic 2.0 badge & glued it - ergo the gunk there).

Attached Image
Attached Image

So ostensibly somebody could just leave the "914" badge in place, remove the "2.0" badge - then cut off the "S" from a "911-S" badge with the one pin in the "S" & insert it into the left-most hole for the "2.0" badge, then braise to fill-in the other hole & used touch-up paint or a well-feathered spray at that area behind the badges (with both off temporarily).

You might want to look inside your rear trunk rear wall just to the left of the right taillight to see any evidence on that 2nd "2.0" badge hole having been filled, the post a few pix if you can of the inside & badge(s) outside plz.

Ditto on my records, plus I was so young & naive & just happy to have my 914, that I never went back to the PO/OO who sold mine to me to get any extra/original parts they had in their garage or their old records back when I first got it in Dec. 75. I really didn't think that I'd need them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

.... now I REALLY want them if I can track them down after 35 years - if they even still live here in OC! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jun 26 2010, 06:26 AM
Post #139

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 25 2010, 07:17 PM) *

The interior trunk paint is original AS IS the exterior panel paint. No holes have been filled. period., their are two mounting studs, on the ...S..(emblem).one above the other.
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jun 26 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #140

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

I believe the cars in Japan did not come with an "S" emblem, instead the same as European cars with the VW Porsche 2.0 emblem and than others with the North American 914 2.0 Emblem, the cars were originally imported from Mistuwa motors.

I have this old add I found, if you look carefully near the bottom and above the Porsche logo, you will see some prices in Japanese yen...on the left hand side below the 911 prices are VW/Porsche 914 2,200,000 YEN, in the middle 914 DX 2,350,000 Yen and on the right would be the 914/6 for 3,650,000 Yen (the numbers are hard to make out)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.dreamgate.ne.jp-8305-1277615795.1.jpg)

So what would the DX be? I am guessing it would be the apperance package as this add is from the days when they were still selling the 6 model so that would mean the 2.0 model would not be out yet....maybe DX means Deluxe
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:34 PM