Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I thought 245's on 16x8 Fuchs were supposed to fit?, using 911 offset (10.6 mm)
rfuerst911sc
post Jun 23 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 22 2010, 01:22 PM) *

I see no issue on mine.

If you have 1/8th inch of clearance you will! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Also, 45's vs. 50's and different mfgs are all different.

but it also would have pushed the rim closer by 8mm to the inner fender which could be a problem under full compression. As the suspension compresses, the wheel and tire move further inward.

8mm you've got... compression or no compression. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net-1110-1277241776.1.jpg)

I would definately NOT like 1/8th of an inch though... rolled or not. (I prefer rolled vs, tire cutters though) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-1110-1277241930.1.jpg)

Well I've been driving the car since February on the street with zero issues. I've done one AX and pushed her pretty hard and no issues. What problem is going to show up ? I do agree with TC that 225/50 is probably a better fit for a 8 inch rim and will give better " lip " clearance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Jun 23 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

I am gonna use the same (944 offset) 8" wheels/flares but with 225/45-16 tires on the rears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!!!
+Quote Post
Cohibra45
post Jun 23 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 8,564

What are the part numbers for the 911 vs the 944 8x16" Fuchs? What is the offset?

Curious minds want to know!!
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Jun 23 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(Cohibra45 @ Jun 23 2010, 03:16 PM) *

What are the part numbers for the 911 vs the 944 8x16" Fuchs? What is the offset?

Curious minds want to know!!

If someone doesnt post with it soon, I will post the part number when I get home and can see them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

The coolest thing about the 944 turbo offset 8x16s is they 'look' like standard 7x16 on the outside but have the lugs recessed further in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 23 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #25

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

What problem is going to show up ?

I guess I'm just floored that with 1/8th" of clearance you haven't experienced and sidewall deflection into the flare. Shocked frankly.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 23 2010, 05:06 PM
Post #26

PMB Performance

The 951 number toward the bottom is the 944 wheel.

Attached Image

This is probably the same offset chart posted in the link.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Jun 23 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #27

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 18 2010, 12:48 AM) *

Tires - 245/50R16 BFG G-Force Sports
Rear brakes - 911 vented
Hubs - stock 914/4 drilled and studded for 5-bolt

Have I missed something? In the pic from Tom's initial post the clearance looks around an 1/8" . . .

Assuming that photo was taken with the suspension under proper load, with the lip trimmed or rolled he's going to have about 3/8" of a gap, no?

And that's with 245/50 tires - not 45s

I ask because I am in the same boat and about to order tires; 911 offsets with 16x7 and 16x8 - flare lips rolled. The 245/45 tires are becoming a thing of the past so I see why Tom went with the 50s
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jun 23 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #28

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 23 2010, 08:14 PM) *

Have I missed something? In the pic from Tom's initial post the clearance looks around an 1/8" . . .

Assuming that photo was taken with the suspension under proper load, with the lip trimmed or rolled he's going to have about 3/8" of a gap, no?

And that's with 245/50 tires - not 45s

I ask because I am in the same boat and about to order tires; 911 offsets with 16x7 and 16x8 - flare lips rolled. The 245/45 tires are becoming a thing of the past so I see why Tom went with the 50s

Mike,

Initially I was going to roll the flares by clamping a piece of 1/4" steel to the backside and carefully hammer the lip, but no matter how careful I was, the outer surface of the fender began to deform.

The alternate plan was to trim the flare like the factory did on the standard rear wheel opening. This has given me about a finger's width of clearance (1/2") as it sits. As the suspension compresses, the wheel will move inwards slightly and give me slightly more clearance.

Your exactly right on why I picked the 245/50. There is only one street tire that I know of in a 245/45R16. The 245/50R16 ends up being the same diameter as the stock 165/80R15 that the car came with.

Et al,

For those who think that a 225 is a better fit, go ahead and waste your money on a pair of 16x8's. Looking at multiple tire manufacturer's websites, the 245 is shown on an 8" rim and the 225 on a 7" rim. Why folks put a narrower tire on a wider rim is probably a matter of personal preference. The result, however, is that the center of the tread will be forced down. Sure you can put more pressure in the tire to compensate, but there goes your contact patch.

Quote from another site, "The best explanation that I have heard is that German regulations stipulate that the tread be within the fender, and that German tuners like the deep dish look. Therefore, they put small tread width tires on super wide wheels. "

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Jun 23 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #29

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

The rear suspension on mine is straight out of a factory six. Before it was flared I don't think I had a finger space between the narrow stock quarters and my 15x6 Fuchs!

I too was surprised at how the 245/45 tires have vanished. You can still find them in full blown race tires but the street versions seem to have evaporated.

Side effect of new cars being 17" and up I guess; lots of choices in those sizes.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 24 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #30

PMB Performance

Gang... let's not forget there are huge variences in the way flares are welded on etc. When we installed a new (stock) quarter on my -6 back in the day, I remember pulling 1/2 to 3/4" out "by hand" (before we painted) to make sure both sides were even.

All sorts of MoJo at work here but, suffice to say, you'll be close with the tire sizes listed. This is why the advice given herein to trial fit befor final install and paint is some of the best you find in the never-ending "What tire will fit my flares" threads.
+Quote Post
Joedubs
post Jun 28 2010, 05:49 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 11,393

of course, it would make the most sense to have wheels before mounting your flairs, however i think its important to get a baseline before purchasing wheels.

that being said, i've got steel flares from pelican parts sitting in the garage waiting to go on. i wanted to run 16x8 and 9, so it looks like theres only one "go-to" offset for the rear. What about the fronts? The main thing is that i'm planning on getting wheels from ccw or some other custom wheel manufacturer. Since they build them to spec, i need to know what specs to tell them.

any input on this topic?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 29 2010, 05:12 AM
Post #32

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Joedubs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

The fronts have plenty of clearance, in fact a lot of people will put spacers on to set the wheels out and not rub the inner fender wells.

As far as actual specs, Mr Weidman will know.
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post Jun 29 2010, 05:30 AM
Post #33

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Slightly off topic... but if my 914 isn't quite as well endowed with its Fuch-ness and I'm running 16x6 & 16x7"s, how feasible would it be to go from a 215/225 combo to 225/235??? 215s are becoming harder and harder to find in a matching set with 225s so bumping up one would really help there...

Of course I also don't want an uber wide side wall that's going to collapse under high lateral G's! Thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Anyone running such a combo?
+Quote Post
Joedubs
post Jun 29 2010, 05:30 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 11,393

Ohh, I didn't even realize this was my first post on world. Ha. I've sold some parts and I have a build thread over on club. None-the-less thanks for the welcome!
Considering most people run a spacer on the front (usually an inch/25mm?) what are the beginning and ending offsets on those wheels? Also, it's hard to find info on whether using 911hubs will affect the position of the hub in relation to the wheel well. For example: In the rear if you drill your hubs to 5lug, a comfortable wheel size would be 16x9 et23. Is that the same for using 911 hubs as I plan on doing? And FWIW I have 911 struts and hubs up front.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 29 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #35

PMB Performance

911 hubs are the same in the rear. Look at the offset chart and some of the pictures herein. This will give you a good baseline. If they're custom 9's the extra inch needs to go on the inside (see measuring tape).
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jun 30 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I think a person can come to his own conclusions on fender lips and that it ok by me but it is a disservice to uneducated readers to state something that is not accurate. If a c channel perlin without the added lips was just as strong as a c perlin with the added lips on the inside it would be way cheaper to make and therefore the one with lips is stronger and cost more to make and is the only one used in structural metal buildings if a c perlin is used. Rolled fender lips have been known to be stronger since metal car fenders have been made from the beginning.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 04:32 PM