Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Battery Cable, Off the Main Harness
EdwardBlume
post Jun 21 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

There are 3 points that come together to tie into the battery terminal from the side. I looked at the factory crimp connection and one of the wires is barely hanging on inside...

What is the easiest solution to fix this? Do they make a stockish replacement part that I can somehow pinch together? It looks pretty sturdy..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
Tom_T
post Jun 21 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 21 2010, 07:17 PM) *

There are 3 points that come together to tie into the battery terminal from the side. I looked at the factory crimp connection and one of the wires is barely hanging on inside...

What is the easiest solution to fix this? Do they make a stockish replacement part that I can somehow pinch together? It looks pretty sturdy..

Rob -
Ask your buddy/stalker Jeff, since he rebuilds those. IMHO - if it were me doing my Dad's 914 like you're doing a resto of (and what this old Dad id doing for his own old 914 resto), I'd get a complete new set of Jeff's harnesses for the engine bay, just to avoid future problems with it. He can also show you how to resto your relay board. 40 year old electricals exposed to the high heat of the mid-engine compartment are bound to be Krispy Kritters by now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 21 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Thanks. Maybe Jeff can stop by and opine. I'm thinking of just dumping solder in there...

I agree, Jeff's work is art and much needed. This motor is a '73 based FI'd 2056, but the original numbers matching engine will be rebuilt later... I'll invest in a harness or two when I get to that one....
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Jun 22 2010, 09:01 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

buy a crimp that will work and clean and re-crimp them all..
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 23 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Talkin' about the big red wires?
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Jun 23 2010, 07:52 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

"I'm thinking of just dumping solder" ...

I would second get putting solder in there, it is probably just dirty enough not to make a good connection, and you wear issue is still prevelant byut unseen oin the other wires sharing the same connector> the red wires off the main harnes correct? I have 2 bunches of those red wires on my 74.. I re crimped mine with I #2 sized copper crimps from any local auto parts store.. If you do not have a crimper that big .....use a hammer or solder.. there are also soldered ready connector of same available on line..
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 23 2010, 07:52 AM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Thanks.

I found a FLAPS brass part and fixed it. I walked in 5 minutes after someone hit it, and the cops were just rolling in as I walked in the front door... my first instinct was to turn around and walk back out...

It was interesting how the shielded wire was dry and powdery. I crimped the connection and taped it.

+Quote Post
ME733
post Jun 23 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

........I just hate the way all the Red hot wires come together at the +positive side of the battery connector........I was wondering if anyone found a water proof "bus- enclosure" whereby individual "hot wires" would connect. The main lug would go to the positive terminal on the battery. On my car, without fuel injection, just below and to the rear of the battery (plate) holder there is a flat vertical panel that everything would mount up to with no problem....Then all the systems, and connections, could be isolated, when repairs were necessary, or to trace a problem. It would also look a lot more professional.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jun 23 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #9

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:32 AM) *

........I just hate the way all the Red hot wires come together at the +positive side of the battery connector........I was wondering if anyone found a water proof "bus- enclosure" whereby individual "hot wires" would connect. The main lug would go to the positive terminal on the battery. On my car, without fuel injection, just below and to the rear of the battery (plate) holder there is a flat vertical panel that everything would mount up to with no problem....Then all the systems, and connections, could be isolated, when repairs were necessary, or to trace a problem. It would also look a lot more professional.

I use a marine fuse buss box sold at West Marine Stores, all the red wires go there now and the blow-n-glow fuses make isolating problems a cinch. I have an extra 6 fuse box. PM me if interested

Second pic is smaller unit, since removed

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jun 23 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Keep it stock. Besides, more connections just add more resistance & less reliability to your car's circuits.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 11:07 PM