Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
There are 3 points that come together to tie into the battery terminal from the side. I looked at the factory crimp connection and one of the wires is barely hanging on inside...

What is the easiest solution to fix this? Do they make a stockish replacement part that I can somehow pinch together? It looks pretty sturdy..
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 21 2010, 07:17 PM) *

There are 3 points that come together to tie into the battery terminal from the side. I looked at the factory crimp connection and one of the wires is barely hanging on inside...

What is the easiest solution to fix this? Do they make a stockish replacement part that I can somehow pinch together? It looks pretty sturdy..

Rob -
Ask your buddy/stalker Jeff, since he rebuilds those. IMHO - if it were me doing my Dad's 914 like you're doing a resto of (and what this old Dad id doing for his own old 914 resto), I'd get a complete new set of Jeff's harnesses for the engine bay, just to avoid future problems with it. He can also show you how to resto your relay board. 40 year old electricals exposed to the high heat of the mid-engine compartment are bound to be Krispy Kritters by now! blink.gif
EdwardBlume
Thanks. Maybe Jeff can stop by and opine. I'm thinking of just dumping solder in there...

I agree, Jeff's work is art and much needed. This motor is a '73 based FI'd 2056, but the original numbers matching engine will be rebuilt later... I'll invest in a harness or two when I get to that one....
detoxcowboy
buy a crimp that will work and clean and re-crimp them all..
McMark
Talkin' about the big red wires?
detoxcowboy
"I'm thinking of just dumping solder" ...

I would second get putting solder in there, it is probably just dirty enough not to make a good connection, and you wear issue is still prevelant byut unseen oin the other wires sharing the same connector> the red wires off the main harnes correct? I have 2 bunches of those red wires on my 74.. I re crimped mine with I #2 sized copper crimps from any local auto parts store.. If you do not have a crimper that big .....use a hammer or solder.. there are also soldered ready connector of same available on line..
EdwardBlume
Thanks.

I found a FLAPS brass part and fixed it. I walked in 5 minutes after someone hit it, and the cops were just rolling in as I walked in the front door... my first instinct was to turn around and walk back out...

It was interesting how the shielded wire was dry and powdery. I crimped the connection and taped it.

ME733
........I just hate the way all the Red hot wires come together at the +positive side of the battery connector........I was wondering if anyone found a water proof "bus- enclosure" whereby individual "hot wires" would connect. The main lug would go to the positive terminal on the battery. On my car, without fuel injection, just below and to the rear of the battery (plate) holder there is a flat vertical panel that everything would mount up to with no problem....Then all the systems, and connections, could be isolated, when repairs were necessary, or to trace a problem. It would also look a lot more professional.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:32 AM) *

........I just hate the way all the Red hot wires come together at the +positive side of the battery connector........I was wondering if anyone found a water proof "bus- enclosure" whereby individual "hot wires" would connect. The main lug would go to the positive terminal on the battery. On my car, without fuel injection, just below and to the rear of the battery (plate) holder there is a flat vertical panel that everything would mount up to with no problem....Then all the systems, and connections, could be isolated, when repairs were necessary, or to trace a problem. It would also look a lot more professional.

I use a marine fuse buss box sold at West Marine Stores, all the red wires go there now and the blow-n-glow fuses make isolating problems a cinch. I have an extra 6 fuse box. PM me if interested

Second pic is smaller unit, since removed
windforfun
Keep it stock. Besides, more connections just add more resistance & less reliability to your car's circuits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.